back to article Google machine-guns unpopular social products

Identity-hoarder Google has killed various social products that failed to capture the interweb's hive brain in the way it clearly thinks Google+ has done. As part of Larry Page's drive to make the Chocolate Factory's products appear more uniform across the vast Google estate, the company confirmed it was culling a host of webby …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Happy

Will not be missed

And this is why I refuse to use any Google software adventures until it's clear that they are going to stick around - I mean, what's the point of investing my time in something that get's canned on months with an "R" in them?

Def
Bronze badge
Coat

Google machine-guns unpopular social products

I never realised Google made machine guns.

Trollface

They don't make machine guns...

...just the bullets with your name on.

Anonymous Coward

Hmm

"Identity-hoarder Google has killed various social products that failed to capture the interweb's hive brain in the way it clearly thinks Google+ has done."

Except as we know, Google+ didn't really take off...

Heyyyy Google - Can we have Google Notes back, please?

Like it sez.

Anonymous Coward

Hopefully, they'll focus on search...

It would be nice if it could handle a simple query without needing every second word wrapped in quotes.

Unhappy

Miss you google bookmarks....

But I've not heard of the other services they're canning!

From the click-through to the Google Blog post, I think that Google Bookmarks (which I use, providing HTML access or extension-based access for pretty much any browser) is staying, just the "lists" feature is being cancelled.

Coffee/keyboard

The Knol -> Stephen Fry

Knol no more? then ->

Stephen Fry Does the Knowledge

Stephen Fry's metaphorical taxi journey to discover what knowledge really means

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013spvh#blq-content

Meh

and meh.

Google Gears

Google Gears wasn't a pile of social network-ey "Web2.0rhea". It was the prototype sandbox for a whole load of nifty client-side things, many of which have now made their way into the HTML5 standard. Like localStorage, for instance.

Silver badge

Yes, whether you think Gears was interesting or not, it has nothing to do with anything I've seen in the various "Web 2.0" definitions - amorphous and over-reaching though they are. (I suppose it could fit the Reg's definition if you used it to cache pictures of badgers' paws.)

I personally never used Gears, but a friend used it to build an application for people doing door-to-door medical surveys, running on cheap hardware that didn't have mobile networking; the app cached data locally until the interviewers got back to the office (a non-profit neighborhood center) and connected to its network. Simple and effective.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums