back to article Blistering chip pumps 1.5 Gbps down wireless channel

Japanese semiconductor group Rohm, working with Osaka University researchers, has showed off a prototype chip it says can pump an impressive 1.5 Gbps down a wireless channel using carrier frequencies in the Terahertz range. The difficult very difficult Terahertz band – frequencies between 100 GHz and 10 THz – has been the focus …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

No mention of distance?

At those frequencies is it limited to very short range peer to peer or can they be used for WiFi like purposes?

On another note, the translation is quite impressive, guess it has a fairly regulated grammar but even so a lot better than most European Language translations that I've tried with Google (and seeing as they are supposed to use the EU parliament documents, of which there are millions you'd expect it to be a lot better)

Silver badge

A more usable emitter than sellotape then

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327195.500-sticky-tape-emits-useful-terahertz-rays.html

Anonymous Coward

Groowy, baby

Wroooom, baby! Yeah!

Coffee/keyboard

And line of sight?

Besides the distance already mentioned, it doesn't mention if the said frequencies will penetrate walls, floors etc.

This is quite useful for wireless usage :-)

Silver badge

Cool...

... but what's the point of Terahertz Wifi if I can't get more than a few MB/s down the pipe from my ISP?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums