back to article Ethernet reaches for the hyper-scale cloud

What if the largest Ethernet networks we see today are just precursors, initial steps on the path to what's been called hyper-scale cloud networking? The term "hyper" is used generally to describe something almost unfathomably large. We might, for example, say that a regional group of airports is a small air transport network …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

another reg article and no mention of X-series

Another article about networking and no mention of the Black Diamond X-Series huh. 768 line rate 10GbE or 192 line rate 40GbE in 1/3rd of a rack. Twice the switching fabric vs the next closest competitor solution, half the power. The new Dell Force10 Leaf/Spine system draws a full 4 times more power and easily 3 times more rack space for the same sort of setup). Next generation fabric interconnect. Very cost effective. The X-series powered the SC11 conference not long ago.

Ethernet has powered the hyper scale cloud since the inception of hyper scale clouds, so the statement that ethernet can't do it doesn't make any sense. More than 40% of the top 500 super computers are powered by gigabit ethernet.

You've been able to build networks without STP for many years. I've been doing it for 8 years myself. Protocols have been around for ages, there are a lot of protocols whether things like ESRP, VSRP (not to be confused with VRRP), EAPS, M-LAG are the ones I can name off the top of my head at least, and I don't consider myself a network engineer by trade.

1. Andy 70
      Meh

it's not mentioned because of ... i dunno... maybe product placement? maybe like the rest of us, they aren't even aware of <insert specific product line here>.

"oh hey! i see you're trying to bash out some bandwidth! here's a leaflet of our current product line! Let me top that off for you with some almost related random sales blurb"

bloody hell. read wot you wrote geeza.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Short, precise and understandable - thank you!

What an excellent article on the current state of Ethernet! A big 'thank you' to the author!

Cheers,

Dirk W.

3. cd_mccall

where does external PCIe fit?

Great article and insight into the future of ethernet. I've been hearing a lot about switched pcie being used as a low latency top of rack interconnect, and can see where new ethernet technologies will be used for longer runs and between the racks. Curious about how others are thinking about this and how this will ultimately play out.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like