Feeds

back to article Microsoft's Hadoop-hugging SQL Server 2012 gets closer

Microsoft's delivered a near-final version of the Hadoop-friendly next version of its database. The company has made the SQL Server 2012 Release Candidate (RC) available for download here. RC is the last stage before final product and Microsoft called the database's RC "a production quality release" that includes access to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Silverlight?

Seriously? Won't be seeing any updates to that then.

Anonymous Coward

...erm...

Will it be as crap as the rest of their software?

Anonymous Coward

Given Microsoft's NIH syndrome, I wonder why they choose to use Hadoop instead of just re-inventing the wheel themselves...

Thumb Up

Well that is supprising but in there database area they seem to take the approach of getting the standard and adding the word server to the end of it, expect Microsoft HADOOP Server year after next I guess.

Anonymous Coward

Don't forget...

...making it ever so slightly incompatible with everyone else's gear, while at the same time saying how interoperable they are. And then suing anybody who tries to interoperate in a way they don't like.

For databases, I really don't know why people don't use the free (or nearly-free) options anyway. If you know how to design and manage a DBMS, you're likely not the type to be scared by a CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXIST statement. There's even pretty GUI tools out there if you fancy drawing entity relationship diagrams and having them exported to .sql files automagically.

Yeah I know, I'm Microsoft-bashing. It's hard to resist though, what with Microsoft being such a pleasant company and all.

Silver badge
Holmes

Re: Posted Friday 18th November 2011 17:23 GMT

MS did have an internal product. It went Beta last year and sank without a trace.

No doubt they will take Hadoop and modify it's interface just enough to make everything else fail to work with it as they do standard Hadoop.

They'll probably keep tweaking it just like they do with SMB.

Very soon, you will have MS-Hadoop, incompaitble with everyone else.

Then

4) Profit.

SOP form MS then...

Alert

Nothing like a bit of foresight

"new reporting client built using Microsoft's Silverlight"

Is this a joke?

This topic is closed for new posts.