Euro recessionary scares aside, success for IBM is increasingly coming from software. Software sales aren't just growing, up 16.9 per cent during the giants second quarter, so is profitability with software group margins up 88.4 per cent. Sales were down quarter on quarter in Q3, but still grew just over 12 per cent compared to …
Hardly just a Hardware biz in the 90s
After all, IBM developed huge software packages like Fortran and Cobol compilers, OS/390, VM, DB/2, CICS, OS/2, OS/400 and many more. IBM invented relational database theory...
most of these weren't so much software products as "things you can run on your IBM hardware"
Or the hardware was stuff to run your IBM software on! The amount of money IBM has made from OS/390 software over the years is frightening! Besides, you don't buy hardware and then decide what to run on it, you buy hardware because it runs whatever software that provides the functionality that you need.
- +Comment Anti-Facebook Ello: Here's why we're still in beta. SPAMGASM!
- Analysis Windows 10: One for the suits, right Microsoft? Or so one THOUGHT
- Vid+Pics Microsoft WINDOWS 10: Seven ATE Nine. Or Eight did really
- Xbox hackers snared US ARMY APACHE GUNSHIP ware - Feds
- George Clooney, WikiLeaks' lawyer wife hand out burner phones to wedding guests