It's not the first time the claim has been made, but this time it's backed, and demonstrated, by a reputable manufacturer, so every phone could be getting NFC soon. Inside Secure is an established player in the smart card industry, and promises to demonstrate a SIM with embedded Near Field Communications circuitry at the Cartes …
That could change the game a little
Suddenly the news about Apple's SIM-free patent is even less relevant. Being able to fit NFC into a SIM relieves the phone makers of some effort and as mentioned gives a little more control to the mobile operators giving them less reason to play Apple's game.
Could be an interesting year ahead in the world of Smartphones.
"The company admits that its solution will only work from around four centimetres (compared to 10cm for a normal NFC card)" actually sounds like a _good_ thing to me...
Hard to get into a SIM, yes. But what about getting it OUT of the SIM? At least if it's in the phone then a little creative tinkering with some wire cutters or slicing tracks with a razor blade will do the job.
Pushed into my phone or not...
Still won't use it.
- Vid Antarctic ice THICKER than first feared – penguin-bot boffins
- Antique Code Show World of Warcraft then and now: From Orcs and Humans to Warlords of Draenor
- iPhone sales set to PLUMMET: Bleak times ahead for Apple
- Regin: The super-spyware the security industry has been silent about
- New Snapchat Snapcash service inspires amateur PORN STARS