It's not the first time the claim has been made, but this time it's backed, and demonstrated, by a reputable manufacturer, so every phone could be getting NFC soon. Inside Secure is an established player in the smart card industry, and promises to demonstrate a SIM with embedded Near Field Communications circuitry at the Cartes …
That could change the game a little
Suddenly the news about Apple's SIM-free patent is even less relevant. Being able to fit NFC into a SIM relieves the phone makers of some effort and as mentioned gives a little more control to the mobile operators giving them less reason to play Apple's game.
Could be an interesting year ahead in the world of Smartphones.
"The company admits that its solution will only work from around four centimetres (compared to 10cm for a normal NFC card)" actually sounds like a _good_ thing to me...
Hard to get into a SIM, yes. But what about getting it OUT of the SIM? At least if it's in the phone then a little creative tinkering with some wire cutters or slicing tracks with a razor blade will do the job.
Pushed into my phone or not...
Still won't use it.
- +Comment Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN
- OnePlus One cut-price Android phone on sale to all... for 1 HOUR
- MARS NEEDS WOMEN, claims NASA pseudo 'naut: They eat less
- Back to the ... drawing board: 'Hoverboard' will disappoint Marty McFly wannabes
- Vid Google opens new Inbox – email for people too dumb to use email