The EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding, Vice-President of the European Commission, and the German Federal Minister for Consumer Protection, Ilse Aigner, have come forward with a joint statement claiming that proposals to reform the 1995 Data Protection Directive will be published by the end of January 2012. It is clear that …
Why should that upset us? That all sounds mighty fine by me.
"it would sure upset the Brits."
It may upset the government, MPs, ministers and quangos but the citizens -- the people who pay their wages -- will be glad to have a long overdue reform -- provided that it really does give them the right to insist that their information not be sold or disclosed to irrelevant third parties.
Amongst other things, we're sick and tired of companies telling us that we *must* waive our privacy rights to do business with a company. The companies need to be told that privacy is a fundamental human right and that they have no right to refuse to do business with, or charge extra to, people who choose to *keep* their privacy.
Why the scepticism Amberhawk?
1. European institutions are the only ones ACTIVELY doing anything consumer/human-friendly about data protection (cf. the UK ICO).
2. One of the biggest costs to businesses (big and small) is complying with the various different European Member States' differing implementations of the 95/46 Directive (clue: UK citizens get very few rights as "data subjects"; countries like Germany get constitutional-level protection).
I'd say a European "Regulation" would be very welcome. By the way, to all readers, a "Regulation" is European law that must be transposed into national (in our case UK) law as-is, whereas a "Directive" allows Members States freedom to determine how to implement said Directive.
Anyone ever wonder WHY the UK's ICO has no budget or teeth?
is the iOne of th
they know it would sure upset the Brits.
Sounds great to me.
- Product round-up Too 4K-ing expensive? Five full HD laptops for work and play
- Review We have a winner! Fresh Linux Mint 17.1 – hands down the best
- Vid Antarctic ice THICKER than first feared – penguin-bot boffins
- 'Regin': The 'New Stuxnet' spook-grade SOFTWARE WEAPON described
- You stupid BRICK! PCs running Avast AV can't handle Windows fixes