back to article Samsung RV720 17in Core i3 notebook

Desktop replacement laptops are a genre of portable computer apparently intent on chuntering on forever without ever truly succeeding or dying. By nature, they tend not to be petite, and Samsung's RV720 is no exception. Samsung RV720 17in Core i3 notebook Desktop replacement on the cheap: Samsung's RV720 Weighing around 2. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Roger Greenwood
    Thumb Up

Meh . .

Lenovo Z570, i3, 6GB RAM £430. Ok the screen's not as good, but good enough. Never mind the width, feel the price.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hope I'm wrong - but is this thing maxed out at 4G RAM?

It's almost impossible to get sensible RAM expandability in Notebooks. If something like this isn't expandable to 16G, what's the use?

3. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

900 vertical?

Are they having a laugh?

Wake me up when it's 1800

4. JDX Gold badge

resolution

Precisely what are you going to do with you 1800 pixels?

1. Robert E A Harvey

Well, see several long paragraphs in MS word, for a start, what with all the space stolen by border decoration, status lines, ribbons, and icon trays.

Or work on a decent size spreadsheet without feeling I'm looking at it through a letter box.

In 2004 I had a dell portable a 14" screen and 20xx by 16xx pixels, and it was dead easy to display two Allen Braldey PLC loader-monitors side by side, and display lots of rungs as well as the debug status window below them.

in 2011 I have a jujitsu 1600x900 and I can only display one rung at a time, even though I have dragged windows icon bar and start menu to one side. I can't display the analogue function blocks at all in any worthwhile way.

Then there is displaying enough of an A3 size block diagram at once to be able to see how the bits go together.

Try designing a SCADA screen mimic with less pixels for the customer screen and the various design toolbars than the final customer screen will have by itself. The slow, tedious, repetitive scrolling will drive you to despair.

1. Marvin the Martian

"jujitsu"? Hmm. "Maximum efficacy for minimum effort" or so?

Speaking of specifications, only on RAM it outscores my 2006 17" HR powerbook (and that was a speed bump of a 2004 model). OK, it's also 10% lighter -- but that's almost 6y ago we're comparing to.

2. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

I work in the same markets as you Harvey and have exactly the same issues with the current letterbox screen fad. I want a machine for work first and maybe it's suitable for watchin a DVD in the evening. All you can buy these days is machines built as portable DVD/Blueray players first with tweaks that nod in direction of work.

The only way to get sensible vertical resolution, by which I mean >1000, is to go for a full HD screen and they are rare in the 15.x inch sizes. Probably rare because they are unfriendly on the eyes. 17+ inch is too big for portable use.

We intend to replace our laptops on 2 years but the current crop of Acers with 1680x1050 non glossy screen are past 3 years now and getting treated extremely carefully indeed.

5. Darryl

Looks perfect for the 'executive' who insists he needs a laptop, but hasn't moved it from his desk in 3 years.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like