Feeds

back to article Beyond the relational database

As many marketeers switch their attention from the word 'cloud' to the term 'big data', you can almost hear the groans as another bandwagon starts to roll. It's now getting to the point where, yet again, we are being bombarded with terms and messages that are ambiguous at best, meaningless at worst. So in true Freeform Dynamics …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

"Big Data" is better than "Cloud" ...

... as it makes it much clearer that it's of no relevance to most people. I'm fed up with having to educate clients who have been sold the cloud bullshit.

With 'Big data' those conversations will be a lot shorter:

"I need a Big Data solution"

"Really? Do you have any big data?"

"Um, no."

"Right then, let's get on with something useful instead"

There is no reason why query should be limited to merely set operations on tabular data.

And no reason why decision support should be limited to preconfigured cached/non cached queries a la OLAP.

It is my view that from a base set of "Don't repeat yourself" (DRY) data (i.e. things that actually happened, and can't change.) then basically anything that you can logically derive from this data, is also unchangeable, and true. It doesn't matter if it didn't happen, if it's a factual derivation then it's as valid as a SQL query.

Not only does deductive inductive queries like this (I call my view of it UQ - unified query, because it allows for relational, hierarchical, object, network and inductive queries like functional (function query is induction, because the function models the nature of the man you speak Clarice) - all current databases being just a subset;) but the mode of derived query gives rise to all sorts of other paradigms such as the enterprise replicated dataset whereby derivation sets can be published, but the base data hidden. (The simplest possible example being ANPR, one such set could be the average speed of each vehicle - it's perfectly possible to have an immutable view - i.e. a derived dataset which is the average speed of each car yesterday, without disclosing any details of ANPR sitelocations. The average speed dataset is just as valid as the point to point observations and can be replicated. Other examples "people who couldn't be in London at the moment,")

I think this work is the most interesting place to be at the moment, and just wish I could find someone to pay me to do it. What I could make of SQL Server with a freehand, I just can't describe. It shouldn't be a relational database. It should be a database that among other things, also implements the relational paradigm.

Anonymous Coward

This is all a crock for people who cannot and/or will not think first.

This is a solution for the negative outcomes caused by the incompetent masses incapable of understanding the schema of the data they are dealing with.

This topic is closed for new posts.