Feeds

back to article Go back to the future with Red Dwarf

After a 13-year hiatus, Red Dwarf is definitely back for a full series with all the old familiar faces, according to the reddwarf.co.uk website. Red Dwarf X will be filmed in front of a studio audience at Shepperton Studios next month and in January 2012. The official blurb for the series reads: Red Dwarf returns for its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

The universe will never be the same...

Whilst I, for one, welcome the return of our Smeg Head orelords, their universe will never be the same until Rob Grant gets back onto the writing team.

Anonymous Coward

Rob Grant

*and* Norman Lovett...

Anonymous Coward

...and

...the answer to what happened after Rimmer kicked Death in the nuts.

FFS

This had better be worth it after that dismal three-parter recently; sometimes I wish I never bother about newly made series/films/whatever and remain happy with my memories.

If this *anything* like Back To Earth

...then I, and I suspect a lot of other RD fans, will be queuing up to hack its metaphorical balls off.

Thumb Up

Lighten up?

You can never please die hard fans, not unless you went back in time, stopped Grand and Taylor falling out and commissioned a new series and film then.

Back to Earth was alrite, I'm sure the new series will be a laugh too.

Sorry Mr/Ms/Mrs Doubly Trademarked...

but I am not a die hard fan, although I am a fan of good British comedy; "Back to Earth" was excruciatingly bad and did a great injustice to the memory of the first few series.

There are many examples upon which we can draw that show that sometimes a death really should remain that and resurrection will only bring pain, embarassment and a wish that that relative should have been left to rest in peace.

Silver badge

And if it's anything like Back to Earth, you can keep it and wait twelve years before you film another. Boy, that was a heap of junk.

The point of bringing a show back is to remind us how good it was. Not to make us cringe at the blatant money-chasing of a previously well-regarded British comedy brand.

Seriously - I will watch the first episode. If it's shit, I'm sorry but I won't watch anything else you push with the name, and my collection of Red Dwarf DVD's will never extend past series 8 for the rest of my life.

Silver badge

To be honest

Anything past the third episode in series seven was crap.

Happy

I lost hope at Series 6

Series 7 had one good episode: 'Blue' all the others were rubbish.

If you're in trouble he will save the day

He's brave and he's fearless come what may

Without him the mission would go astray

He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer....

repeat until sides hurt.

Thumb Up

he's also

a fantastic swimmer!

Silver badge
Terminator

Oh, spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!

Ah. Smug mode!

Silver badge

Well...

The studio audience is a good sign, at least they should get some real laughter instead of that horrible canned crap they used towards the end of the last run.

Assuming it's funny enough of course. If not, then it'll be unfunny - with canned laughter.

Silver badge

HOPE IT IS BETTER........

THAN the last disaster, the special they put on.

Silver badge

But it's only a quarter to 6 on a Sunday morning ...

Do you suppose I could have some toast?

Happy

Howdy doodley do!

Did someone mention toast?

Silver badge

It's just gone 03:40 ...

Anyone want toast?

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Smoke me a kipper!

I enjoyed Back To Earth (you had to watch the last 30 seconds BTW) and have high hopes for this.

Going to need...

A horse that has passed on and a whip here... Don't get me wrong I really loved RD but let's face it the last few series were pretty dire.. As for the back to earth thing - well let's just pretend it never happened!

Silver badge
Alien

I did miss it

13 years should be enough to get some original ideas. I will look forward to seeing it.

Anonymous Coward

Blakes 7

I'll believe it when I see it. They've been saying there would be more episodes on Dave since the three Easter episodes a couple of years ago, but nothing has come of it. No more than the film version, which has been about to go into production any day now for the last 20 years.

The same applies to Blake's 7, which has been poised for a comeback for just as long.

I thought, given the budget, the recent Red Dwarf production was not only great, but highlighted how good for its time the original series was. However, the story or direction was a bit weak and it wasn't as funny as it should be. Episode 2 was the best but let down by a slow start in episode 1 and a disappointing resolution in 3.

I liked the idea that Lister had become so bored in the intervening years that he was passing his time spending *days* setting up the 'tomato sneeze' ironing scene just to get a simple sneer out of Rimmer, but the direction meant it dragged too long on-screen.

Perhaps the remaining bloke behind it now needs to take a back seat as an executive producer and allow other writers and producers to provide up-to-date comedy and plots, while he ensures it remains faithful to the original and maintains its relatively high production values?

I thought the way they faked elaborate corridors on the ship by putting intricate scaled models in front of the camera and then using a huge depth of field as the actors did their stuff further away was inspired! Obviously it limits the shot to a fixed camera angle, but it's better than a moving camera showing a set that looks cheap.

It'll be nice if it comes back again, but it needs to build on the last three specials. Otherwise, it'll turn into a Norman Wisdom of a TV show, where a small set of people just cheer for the sake of it, knowing deep down inside that what they're seeing is a pale shadow of what once was.

Thumb Down

Can't be done...

The main 'corridor' of the spaceships has recently been demolished to make way for a swanky business centre.

BBC Worldwide fail!

Series VI: Out Of Time

Crew killed by their future selves.

- The End -

I wish.

Silver badge
Unhappy

This, a thousand times over.

Why can't they just let it die?

Thumb Up

What he said!

even trying to do it without Rimmer/Rob Grant.....

A bit like leaving the tikka out of a chicken tikka

MrT
Bronze badge

I'm going to go with...

... "good" - looking forward to it. Even if this time round when cat goes 'Owwwwww!" before sliding stiffly across the door it'll actually be due to feline arthritis - did they pack Iams cat food on the ship?

Actually, with that in mind, since no-one has mentioned Hollie, can I vote for Leslie Philips as the third alternative personality for the ship's computer...?

Silver badge

Holly?

This is an IT board.

Why no mention of Norman Lovett?

(His autobiography is out next year, provisional title 'talking head')

Hopefully

a better effort than the last abysmal offering.

Silver badge

Argh...

I'm sorry, but tv series have a natural span, and unless I'm very wrong, and I hope I am, Red Dwarf has gone past it's sell by date.

I hope I'll be wrong, I'd love a new series to work, but I'm not really looking forward to this one

This post has been deleted by its author

FAIL

Oh, No

If it's anything like that crossover abomination 'Back to Earth' it'll be definately slated in September 2012. Hopefully Naylor or whoever wrote the script didn't listen to the RD fanboi wailing dervishes this time.

Fail as there's no Grant as far as I can see.

Meh

Meh

I've both excited and have a deep dark sense of impending doom.

I love the show... well, I love the first 5 series, like the 6th... think the 7th was a huge steaming turd and that the 8th if condensed into 3 episodes could be be quite good.

But I refuse to accept that the 'Back to Earth' series ever happened... it's a total... total... a word has yet to be invented to describe what it is, but it is one and a total one at that.

The good episodes were written by Doug Naylor and Rob Grant... once that partnership ended after series 6... it's been all downhill.

So this news comes with a deep dark sense of foreboding... a feeling that this could very well kill my fondness for the show entirely.

Vic
Silver badge

Worrying...

The last outing was so utterly dreadful, I really don't want to get my hopes up...

Vic.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Fan-smegging-tastic!

It's going to be interesting seeing how old the actors have got since their last 'Dwarfing'. I'm so looking forward to this.

P.S. Would anyone like any toast?

Happy

Want to see how old Cat looks?

take a look at the detective series on BBC1, Death in Paradise Tuesday at 21:00. The only reason for him to be saying Oooooooow now is in response to having to get up out of the comfy chair :-(

Want a picture : http://www.emmerdale.me.uk/tv/interviews/a346419/danny-john-jules-death-in-paradise-qa-controversy-is-great.html

I just hope it's better than that mini series they did a couple of years back. That just felt awkward to watch...

What about Norman Lovett then? Oh wait, they pissed him off, according to his Wikipedia page. It won't be the same without Holly, and I don't mean Hattie Hayridge.

JDX
Gold badge

Studio audience

I'm sure that was something that was missed on the last Dave Special.

What about Holly?

Thumb Up

Cue the quotes

Cat: "Forget red - let's go all the way up to brown alert!"

Kryten: "There's no such thing as a brown alert sir."

Cat: "You won't be saying that in a minute!"

How can 6 episodes be considered a series?

In the US a series is at least 12 episodes, or well over 20 in many cases. Why did the BBC only commission 6 in the new series? Quite a cop out. Considering the effort and expense in building the sets again and putting the production together they might as well go for 12 episodes, they know fans and a new younger audience will be watching it and buying the DVD/Blu-Ray, so why not?

You don't seem to have noticed that pretty much *all* British series are about 6 episodes... only recently, under pressure from the American ones, have they started to be stretched out.

Have you ever heard of 'filler' episodes? Clip show episodes? You'd be hard pressed to find them in British series, as the writers don't have to stretch 6 episodes worth of material into 24. It's about quality, not quantity... I'd much rather have 6 great episodes, than 24 so-so ones!

Silver badge

Quality vs quantity

I would prefer to have 6 great episodes than 20 meh episodes.

Quality vs quality

I would prefer to have 6 great episodes than 3 episodes that were basically self insert fan-fiction, mixed with some crap about Blade Runner.

Please, no.

Please, just let it be. The mini-series was god awful!

What made this series so brilliant in the first place was it's cheapness, and the quality of the writing to make it what it was.

Then they decided to go all widescreen and super special effects and stuff it so full of bells and whistles, that it just wasn't funny. They tried too desperately hard on gags that just didn't fit, it was almost embarrasing to watch.

Given the fact that it's gone back to a studio audience at least gives it some form of dignity again. I hope they go back to the good old ways of cheapness because at least with that, it worked.

Save your big bucks for the movies. This thing was made out of old hoover parts and egg boxes, and that's how I loved it.

Bronze badge

Hur hur hur, you said "hard on gags".

Sadly that was funnier than season 7&8 combined. ( I actually enjoyed the three parter, mainly because I called the despair/hope squid thing after five minutes and then had smug mode after I was proven right. And I like Blade Runner homages)

Thumb Up

"This thing was made out of old hoover parts and egg boxes"

And a Philips Maestro keyboard, which is another reason love it.

Pint

Great news

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast..

Anonymous Coward

fan-smegging-tastic

see title

Anonymous Coward

Let's be honest

"the last series back in 1999 was series eight"

The last series was series 6... 7 & 8 were some sort of extended death throes.

Rob Grant and Doug Naylor just haven't been as successful individually, input from both of them is needed as their styles compliment each other.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.