Feeds

back to article iOS upgrade swells iPhone battery-suckage grief

If you've experienced runaway battery suckage on your brand-spanking-new iPhone 4S, you won't be alone if you're still cursing your Cupertian smartphone after updating to Apple's supposed battery-fixing iOS 5.0.1. Apple admitted battery-life problems with the iPhone 4S and the new iOS 5 earlier this month, and released the iOS 5 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

It wouldn't be more expensive for Apple

...Because in the end they have a tendency not to care at all about certain customer rights.

I don't know how things are going in other countries but in the Netherlands its demanded by law that people who buy an electronic device such as an iMac or iPhone are entitled to 2 years of warranty.

There is however one company who obviously doesn't give a damn about the law and sells its stuff with 1 year worth of warranty. If you want more you'll just have to pay up for "enhanced warranty". Something which is totally in violation with Dutch law. This has been known for years now, and only recently did a Dutch consumer TV program report about this through usage of hidden camera's and the likes. The result is quite shocking to say the least.

The impact even went so far that one employee apparently got tracked down and fired. Only because he mentioned (unrecognizable before the hidden camera) that the customer was right about being entitled to 2 years worth of warranty but that the one year was an "Apple policy" so they couldn't help her.

The obvious problem here is simple: being right is nowadays something totally different from getting your rights acknowledged. If you have a defective iMac for example and Apple refuses to help you I guess you could take it before a court. But at what costs? For the price that will cost you you can easily get yourself a new PC. So people don't bother...

It wouldn't surprise me if this end in the same way as the antenna issue; "Consumers are dumb and only need to change the way in which they operate their phone".

Needless to say, but as long as stories like these continue to surface time and time again then I'm really not in the very least tempted to try out any Apple hardware.

Anonymous Coward

Cool story, bro

Bronze badge

The law doesn't make sense....

As someone who works and lives abroad constantly, I can say that one thing I have noticed about Apple is that they are one of the most consistent tech companies when it comes to pricing their products internationally. Sure, Apple stuff in the UK costs more than in the US, but VAT is 20%, and the cost of doing business is higher in the UK. So Apple charges 20%-30% more. But companies like HP charge 50% more, and sometimes even lower the product's specifications for the non-US market (like HP's Envy laptop screens having 60% the resolution in the UK market, but costing way more than the US).

If Apple were to honour the whims of every country that wanted to pass an extended warranty, it would throw their international pricing way out of alignment - their product prices in the Netherlands would suddenly have to be higher than in, say, France, to the point where people would simply buy their Apple products from Amazon.fr and have them shipped. And yet Apple (unlike many vendors) honours warranties internationally, meaning that a French-bought iPad would still get covered by whatever whimsical warranty the Netherlands passed...

You see the problem here, don't you? There is no way for Apple to be fair to it's local customers with pricing, be fair to local stores selling their products, of predicting the actual warranty support costs, and honouring a government decreed warranty periods. No one course of action can accomplish all of these things.

When Apple brought their computers to market, the industry standard warranty for all computer products was 90-days. Steve Jobs personally ruled that it should be raised to 1 year for all Apple products, no matter how much it cost, or what it did to their pricing. For the government of the Netherlands to unilaterally decided that, lo and behold, we can mandate any warranty we want, is basically nonsensical - because it ignores the fact that Dutch stores will be forced to sell at higher prices than their close neighbours, and will lose business to the large international sellers like Amazon. And probably close more local stores and shops. Hardly the outcome that people really want, I think.

Stop

Say what?

What on earth are you rambling on about? The issue here is a bug in iOS, which they have acknowledged and attempted to resolve quickly. What does that have to do with warranty and consumer rights??

And for the record, I did once have a faulty iMac. Apple customer services were in a different league to any other tech company I have dealt with (Dell, HP etc). They couldn't have been more helpful and apologetic, sent me a replacement next day UPS without any sort of argument and gave me £200 as a good will gesture.

Facts eh? Who needs 'em.

Not in the UK

Strangely, here in the UK, the dept store John Lewis automatically gives you 2 years warranty on all electrical goods. Including Macs.

Plus the sale of goods act, puts no time limit on when you can return faulty goods.

There doesn't seem to be an issue here.

Silver badge
WTF?

Re: The law doesn't make sense....

EC Directive 99/44/EC states that all consumer items sold within the EEA "should" come with a two year warranty. Good for the Dutch, (and most of the rest of Europe,) for passing this into local law!

Shame the U.K. hasn't quite got round to it yet... Still, it's only been twelve years...

Heaven forbid, it may damage our thriving "extended warranty" scam artists ^W^W businesses...

Anonymous Coward

@ShelLuser

Apple doesn't have any retail stores in the Netherlands so I'm wondering what use a hidden camera would be.

Anonymous Coward

FAIL

It has loads. Use the inter webs and be educated.

N2
Bronze badge
Thumb Up

John Lewis

Recognise the EU directive regarding the sale of consumer goods

Bronze badge
FAIL

@PragFest

The key phrase regarding the two-year EU warranty requirement is "Fit for use". Whether that's hardware, software, firmware or whateverware doesn't matter.

And one anecdote (yours) does not a trend make.

Bronze badge
WTF?

Bloody hell! You work for Apple don't you?

For the amount of money an apple gadget costs I would expect it to last me a lot longer than the two years mandated by the Dutch goverment! I was quite happy when they brought that it, and remember Apple being on the consumer programs because of their attitude.

It's unreal that any private person would seriously say 'No, please, I want LESS warrenty and protection not MORE! Let me give my money to Apple releatedly - after all it's only fair!' Wow.

Reading riddiculous statements from Apple owners is really making me think that I made a mistake buying the MB Pro I got in the summer. The kit sucks (no more than windows kit of the same cost, but certainly no less) and I get lumbered in the same category as people like you!

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

They have lots of official partner stores - complete with Genius bars etx, and are currently destroying momumental building in Amsterdam to have a full blown Apple store.

A hidden camera would be very useful...

http://www.apple.com/nl/buy/locator/map.html?tySearch=1&viaProduct=4&viaSpecial=-1&strCountry=NLD&lat=52.2336066&lng=5.1794274&gCountry=NL

Terminator

I see your point but...

I can see your point and understand that it's a difficult situation but the bottom line is that Apple must comply with the law. If that means that local vendors are disadvantaged because apple prices the product higher to include the extended warranty, that's a problem between the vendors and the law makers.

Apple can't just decide to ignore a law simply because it's inconvenient.

Bronze badge
Stop

Battery problems? Really?

I'd go so far as to say that a lot of the complaints' assertions are completely subjective - they get update that is supposedly better with regards to the battery so they use it more, then act surprised when their battery is caned.

Silver badge

Indeed

5.01 has barely been out for a day at time of writing - how many of these muppets have actually tested it long enough to prove its worse?

Paris Hilton

Wow...

Can't you see you're making this up to jutify YOUR choices, as a pure Apple puppet?

Paris icon, it's getting that low.

Silver badge
FAIL

Yes, of course.

After all, it's not likely that Apple would get something wrong, is it?

GJC

Silver badge
Happy

By 'Muppets'....

You mean iPhone owners, I take it?

FAIL

testing

Upgraded to 5.0.1 on friday, charged phone saturday night. sent maybe 10 text messages on sunday, didn't use for anything else, had to charge again last night as charge had dropped to around 25%.

I don't really think much more testing is needed.

Paris Hilton

What a giant cluster fuck

My used to be very happy iPhone4 is NOW eating 13% battery every fucking HOUR vs the 5% per hour it was sucking down before 5.0.1

What's even more fucking galling is my ipad2 with 3G and the same fucking settings and network connection eats less than 1% every few hours,

Fone fuckage I'm really not impressed with. Hookers in Hamburg or Amsterdam don't suck this much as quickly...

Where the hell is Paris?

Silver badge

Siri, Siri....

Siri, why is my battery keep going flat?

Siri, Siri, SIRI, SIIIIIIIIRRRRRRIIIIIIII!

OH no my battery is flat......

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The cry of the Apple owner.

Silver badge
IT Angle

"Open the pod bay doors, Hal."

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."

"Why, have you got some sort of hidden mission objective that results in the termination of all the humans on board?"

"No. You upgraded me to iOS 5.0.1 and now I don't even have enough battery life to continue talk-"

Daisy, Daisy

'nuf said

Anonymous Coward

Hmm

No problems for me!

Silver badge

IPHONE 4.......

iPhone 4 single core

iPhone 4s dual core

What's the fuss of course the battery life won't be as good.

Probably all the upgraders complaining, and all the updaters moaning because the update on iOs was optimised for the new phone.

Silver badge

Cores has nothing to do with it

Cores aren't turned on unless they're being used and I assume the OS would take pains to avoid doing this except when the foreground app needed the CPU. So unless the iPhone has botched this setting the power draw shouldn't be especially different.

It's far more likely that something in the background is needlessly waking up, polling or doing something which is making the device drain power more than it should.

Silver badge

Desire v Sensation battery

IPhone 4 v iPhone 4s

Rest my case m'lord.

Thumb Down

Cores make no difference in Android so..

Unless it's shitty design, Apple should be at least equivalent.

FAIL

FAIL

You're using logic in a "Flame Apple" thread. Nothing good will come of it.

Now, where's my blowtorch...

Optional you say?

"If every single person posting to this forum started calling Apple, then they would be forced to do something about this total screw up of a release."

Yes they wiyld be forced to >null

Coat

Apple

Yep. > /dev/null for them, just like The Reg's requests for comment or support for the AntennaGate issue.

FAIL

Nope -- they just would quit answering the phone.

Joke

"HI, thank you for calling Apple support, sorry we can't take your call at the moment as the phone battery has run out"

Silver badge
Happy

RE: Optional you say?

LOL! I can guess what the answer is:

APPLE: "Hello, this is Apple Support, how can I help you?"

SHEEPLE: "Hey, my iPhone4S has awful battery life, what are you going to do about it?"

APPLE: "We're very sorry to hear you are not completely happy with your Apple product, but we insist it must be the way you're using it."

SHEEPLE: "What!?!"

APPLE: "Don't worry, we have a fix for all the user-generated issues in the coming iPhone5, would you like to pre-order one today at full price?"

SHEEPLE: "Baaaaaa! Of course!"

Joke

The traditional way to deal with consumer issues by telephone

A: Hi, Apple Customer Support. How can we help each other?

C: Uh, my 4S battery life seems to be dramatically short.

A: OK Friend, we've had a lot of calls on this alleged issue, so we've set up a special "Battery Response Line" to deal with it. The number is 09000- IPHONE. Calls are charged at £1.50 a minute.

C: Uh, can you transfer me through yourself?

A: No Friend, that's against Company Policy. Good Day! >clik<

Gold badge
Joke

It wouldn't be a problem for them, here's why:

Apply type: "Good morning and welcome to Apple support. How may I help you?"

Mug punter: "I've upgraded my iPhone and now the battery doesn't last long enough to make a phone ca...........<CLICK>"

Apply type: "This upgrade is working wonders for our call response times........"

Not my experience

Whilst I freely admit it isn't statistically significant, my battery life is much improved. 60% when I got home from work compared to c. 40% pre update and that is with similar use.

Anonymous Coward

aha.. Ah ha, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ooops.

Fanbois, just don't bother, I know, it's childish but when you're looking in from the outside it is funny.

Thumb Up

Right there with you!

It's good to be childish sometimes. And it is more than funny...it's hilarious.

It's also good to see Apple is still using its customers as BETA TESTERS! What a company...NOT!

How someone can, less than 24 hours later, that the battery life is 'worst' means that that they have, in fact, not tested the fix. I didn't have a big issue with my 4S battery life, however I have noticed that it is improved after a day of use as I have at least twice the remaining as I have in the past.

Gold badge

I think that's partly the problem

It appears there is no definitive answer why certain iPhone 4S' suck (power) and others don't.

If I were Apple I'd bring out a diagnostic App that could dump a state and compare the hungry ones with each other. I'd look at Apps running, settings of gadgetry such as location services (off), use of iCloud (not enabled, I like my data to remain in Europe), use of WiFi or not and if 3G is enabled (I almost doubled battery ice by switching that off when I only use email).

I only care because the 4S appears a sensible upgrade to my 3GS, but I think I'll wait a little bit longer. There are HUGE advantages to not being first, and that's not just by not having to stand in a queue..

Trollface

Pot, meet kettle.

"How someone can, less than 24 hours later, that the battery life is 'improved' means that that they have, in fact, not tested the fix. "

There, fixed that for you.

It's not hard to figure out

Upgrade to the new iOS and use the iPhone exactly the same.. if the battery doesn't last as long then the issue wasn't fixed.

This post has been deleted by its author

Gold badge
FAIL

@Henry

On my phone I'd agree with you, but then the battery normally lasts for most of a week. These people are saying that the battery goes flat in less than a day. If my battery was going flat in less than a day, I think I would be able to tell in 24 hours.

Anonymous Coward

Given that the complaint is that it's lasting much less than the 24 hours of many other smartphones, testing the fix takes a maximum of 24 hours - the faster the discharge, the faster you know it's still broke.

Really?

You sure?

WTF?

millions of iPhone 4S users are not complaining ...

... well, no, they probably feel honoured that the worlds most amazing hardware company is allowing them, mere users, to field-test the new iPhone beta before the release of the next version will will have different bugs.

Anonymous Coward

Is there a basis for a false advertising claim in regards to the battery life?

Get real

Problems are problems, but a few thousands of several million users are just background noise. 0.05% of users complaining is nothing. I would expect it's awfully hard to get a yield of fully working batteries of 99.9% or so -- if you had and still have problems go to Apple and change your phone for a working one. Problem solved.

(My iPhone 4 had no problems with 5.0 and still has none with 5.01. 75% battery after 11 hours standby and 2 hours active usage is totally fine in my book.)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.