Having EMC storage arrays direct hot data into a flash bank is great, but only if you're happy using EMC's cache gear. Wouldn't it be rather nice if there was an open and widely used server flash interface that could be used by all PCIe flash cards and PCIe flash-using vendors? Suppose QLogic adds a flash cache to its converged …
Lightening is cool
To me it's the next best thing from EMC after symm innovations. Good idea to put in PAM card kind of flash on the servers and tie it to the array. It will be interesting to see what HDS and NetApp does. Won't be surprised if they would OEM Fusion-io or even buy them. Again watch the SAN space, EMC does it intelligently but NAS is still a struggle for EMC with or without Isilon. Fusion-io is super cheap and good stuff with IO turbine makes it worthy competitor to EMC
Lightning is white hot
Good idea: build the server cache'o'flash into the CNA/HBA. That's potentially the only way to get it onto a server blade that only has sockets for CNAs.
Hands up who has the blazing IO requirement for server side flash tho? And for what?
- +Comment Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN
- OnePlus One cut-price Android phone on sale to all... for 1 HOUR
- MARS NEEDS WOMEN, claims NASA pseudo 'naut: They eat less
- Back to the ... drawing board: 'Hoverboard' will disappoint Marty McFly wannabes
- Vid Google opens new Inbox – email for people too dumb to use email