back to article Divorcing couple ordered to share Facebook and dating site logins

A squabbling couple have been ordered to exchange the passwords for each other’s Facebook pages and dating website accounts. The problems started when Stephen Gallion, who is in the process of divorcing his wife Courtney, suspected there may be evidence of her ambivalence towards him and their offspring on her Facebook page. His …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Facepalm

That leaves me confused, heavily confused.

Must be 'merkins - go where no jurist has gone before.

retire

I should think its time for the judge to retire. Clearly they have no concept of he law. No one would obey that order. I'm sure it is unconstitutional somehow and certaintly against all privacy and humanity laws.

Joke

@terra

Since when does the law and legal standing actually influence a judges decision? lol

Facepalm

Err, I don't do facebook, but isn't it against their TOS to share your password?

Silver badge

TOS

Don't know about FB's TOS either but I do know that any company's terms and conditions do not stand above the law (although they may try...). Even such moronic orders can overrule the TOS.

Anonymous Coward

2 things worry me

First "evidence of her ambivalence towards him". That's enough for a divorce now?

Second, having to divulge the contents of every private (yeah, I know, facebook, but these would include PMs) conversation you have ever had (possibly after a drink or two) with friends (close or otherwise) to be pored over in court in the cold light of day to be used as evidence, in whatever kind of court case is scary.

Mine's the one with "Billy Nomates" on the back.

Paris Hilton

Whut?

Isn't the judge instructing them to breach the terms of the contracts they have entered into with those websites? Or do the sites not have anything about password sharing and shared access in their T&C's?

Paris because she knows all about dating.

Silver badge

IIRC

A Judicial order can supersede the T&C of *anything*

Silver badge

No offense but....

If you let social media (in this case Facebook) take control over your life in the extend described here then I personally think you have some /serious/ personal issues to deal with.

Sure, social media could be fun. But if you let it control your life and even influence your relationship(s) then the first thing I'd /seriously/ advice to do is start by going over your priorities in real life again and then begin lowering the priority of social media by a factor of one hundred or so....

This is really a pretty sad development....

Black Helicopters

Reality check

Dude, it's not "social media" that influences relationships, it's the *people* you talk to on social media, and what you talk *about*, that influences relationships.

If your SO is spending a lot of time on Facebook chatting to friends about how much you suck, or chatting to a person of the opposite sex about how horny they are, I'd say your relationship problems are pre-existing, and if it wasn't Facebook it would be a bar, or the phone, or good old-fashioned letters.

The only development here is that Facebook stores all the evidence.

Anonymous Coward

A question to my esteemed fellow commentards

I'm a bit in two minds about this sort of thing. Shouldn't it be a better idea to whip up a limited "all read access, no write access" account for this sort of thing, or perhaps parole orders and such? Or perhaps a way to snapshot the entire account and hand that over minus the write access?

This is easily doable in principle; whether facebook can do it is something else entirely. But my question here is, is this a good idea? Should there be a way for the account owner to shut the shoulder surfing account out again? Maybe a "who's looking" indicator?

Or is this just more proof that facebook is evil incarnate? Discuss.

JDX
Gold badge

owns neither an email address nor a computer

I find that quite an impressive feat actually.

Anonymous Coward

Indeed

Jealous of someone with so much sense and perspicacity. He must have so much more time for useful things and be far less stressed than most of us. All those I know with his approach seem still to have got a life, unlike the sad rest of us.

Once one has made the error of even starting with email etc., one is doomed.

Silver badge

Probably

conducts his business over BBM.

TRT
Silver badge
Devil

Facebook is evil.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
FAIL

Really really stupid

So he's told them both not to post messages claiming to be the other, and thinks that makes it OK?

They don't just get access to the partner's data, they also get full access to the personal and private data of other people who are friends of the partner and have given them access.

What crime have those friends committed, that their private information should be handed out to another person? What happens if that information release actively damages them - will the judge compensate them?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums