Feeds

back to article Chell clips Cant to top Play School presenter slot

Can it be true? Yes it is: Brian Cant, the actor who for so many years was viewed as the Play School presenter par exellence did not chalk up the most appearances on the kids programme. Cant was a Play School from 1964 to 1985, but according to research published by one Paul R Jackson in a new book Here's a House: a Celebration …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Not only..

..but also...

Check out tvcream.co.uk for more frightening reminders of 70s media...

And no Toni Arthur? Outrage man, outrage...

It really doesn't matter if it's raining ...

If you've got time, pop along to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tt3qv/The_Reunion_Play_School/ for a an episode of The Reunion with some of the presenters. A lovely listen for those of a certain age.

It features Toni Arthur, Jonathan Cohen, Floella Benjamin and Brian Cant

Anonymous Coward

may I be the first to say

that Toni Arthur was very much on /my/ list.

at the top.

Gimp

Brian Cant Exterminated!

Brian Cant was also in the Doctor Who story The Daleks Master Plan, his character - Kurt Gantry - was exterminated in the first episode.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Brian Cant Exterminated!

You'd want to be exterminated too if they gave you such a daft name... Kurt Gantry indeed.

Anonymous Coward

Brian Cant

not a very Essex-friendly name, 'as it 'appens

Bronze badge

Au cantraire

Seems like every other person in Essex is called that.

Anonymous Coward

why the 'apostrophe on 'as'?

Gold badge
Coat

Every other person in Essex is called Brian?

The things you learn around here, eh?

Anonymous Coward

cos I can...

you complete cant

;-D

Reunion clip

For those who were fans of Play Away, on a Saturday afternoon (I hated visiting my grandparents on Saturdays, as they had VHF/405 line only, so no BBC2), there's also a charming clip at https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=434506401827

Gold badge

Coelacanth?

No, Brian Canth. I'm hith brother.....

(God alone knows why I remember that.)

Coat

Am I the only one...

...who looked at the headline and imagined just how much more awesome Play School would have been with portals?

Thumb Up

A house...

...with a portal...

Anonymous Coward

Play School

was also an opportunity to see various luminaries in the British Jazz Scene earning a few extra bob playing live music on the show - obviously more nursery rhyme than freeform blowin', but still...

Bronze badge
Coat

Drool, dribble.

Everyone remembers Floella Benjamin because she was the 2nd hottest thing on TV in the early 70's (after Dr Who's side-kick Sarah Jane Smith).

Play School rocks, and wipes the floor with the current range of programs aimed at pre school children.

My coat is splatterd with allegedly "washable" paint

Coat

Sorry, but it has to be done...

How did Floella Benjamin escape from the Titanic?

Through the ROUND window!

OK, I know..

Still going, in spirit, if not in name.

I saw a show recently on kids TV which had my sons rapturous attention, it had 3 different shaped windows, a big ted and various other toys, it was very similar structure to how I remember Play School, and who was one of the presenters? Only Floella Benjamin.

I wasn't paying enough attention to catch the name of the show though. I think it was on CBBC

Anonymous Coward

That'll be "Tikkabilla"...

...which is pretty well "Play School" with a different name and different toys. I wonder if the "creators" are paying the PS folk royalties...

Gold badge
Coat

With the Beeb's record it was probably a repeat of Play School......

This topic is closed for new posts.