back to article Nintendo adds Wii U support for second controller

Nintendo will tweak its forthcoming Wii U console to support two tablet controllers after one wasn't deemed sufficient. An anonymous source reckons engineers are working hard to bring simultaneous support for two pads to Ninty's next-gen console, with further enhancements also on the way. Speaking with Develop magazine, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

KEERRRCHINNNGGGG

They must be laughing at the money printing factory, you can how buy two tablets for your Wii U....

I'm guessing they won't be cheap.... Still fools and money are easily parted... Look at Kinect for proof of that.

2. JDX Gold badge

???

This seems very weird. Multiplayer home fun is the basis of Wii and GameCube success. Nintendo have a good record for proving us wrong when we think there console will flop, but I'm rather worried by what we're hearing. I LIKE that the Wii is cheap and fun, even if it's long in the tooth.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never forget the Wii

Every time I see the WiiU I just think it looks like a terrible, terrible idea for a console. But, everyone said the same about the Wii.

Using the same logic, I predict this will sell billions.

4. Danny 5
    FAIL

fan (or ex, rather)

i've been a Nintendo fanboy ever since i started playing Double Dragon 2 on the NES. i bought many Nintendo consoles and handhelds over time (i own 2 SNES consoles, a GBA, a DSlite, an N64, a gamecube, a Wii and quite a few games for all of them), but after the utter (hardware) fail that is the Wii, i'm not all that interested in their new gadget. My Wii crapped out after 2 years of moderate use, the laser just gave up.

Now that in itself isn't that big a deal, where it not that Nintendo doesn't repair them, but offers you a replacement unit at "reduced price" (which is roughly the same as a bare retail model).

That's not what i've come to expect from Nintendo, that's not support at all, that's delivering a faulty product and telling the customer "go fuck yourself" when it breaks. I can tell you that this is not a good way to keep loyal fans by your side, quite the opposite.

I've given up on Nintendo, i'll stick with the Xbox from now on and Nintendo can do the same as they wanted me to do, go fuck themselves.

5. TRT Silver badge

Take two tablets...

and come back in the morning if you still have a headache.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Confused and floundering

With the Success they enjoyed with the Wii right off the bat, and the slow build to collosal domination of the DS Nintendo seem to have forgetton WHY these devices were successful. Different experiences and a cheapish pricepoint. The names were crappy but people knew what they were. Why keep the name for it's successor when it's leading to consumer confusion?

The new consoles 3DS and Wii U don't appear to be very strong replacements. 3DS is a different beast to the DS and DSI, however with a similiar name Parents (the main buyers of DS's) think that they are the same and go for the cheaper options.

Wii U is looking.... interesting. But the unveiling of it left the games press confused, and they are supposed to know what the hell it is. The general public believe that it is an addon for the wii, like the Motion Plus, or nunchuck.

Why wasn't the 3DS called the Gameboy 3D? It differentiates from the DS and yet has a strong name behind it still. Wii U.......I'm sure the next one will be the Wii U Mii

7. I Like Heckling Silver badge

The Wii was the first console that ever made my dad want to play games, he's now 69 and suffers from Parkinsons... and yet he loves the bowling games, it's about the only ones he can play (when his illness allows him to).

To get my dad interested in a gadget, let alone a games console is nothing short of miraculous. I bought the Wii because I loved Mario Kart on my original SNES (because I'm a 40yr old gamer and remember the original) and the number of games I have can be counted on 1 hand (I game on my PC).

But the Wii allowed my dad to play with the rest of us, and it's appeal goes a lot further than that. My 76yr old Aunt went and bought one, and she loves to play table tennis. Neither her not my father are in good health.

So the Wii U raises a couple of concerns for me... holding the larger pad with touchscreen could be difficult for them, making controlling things more difficult will stop them being able to join in... it was the simplicity of use that made the Wii such a massive hit... I hope Nintendo don't lose sight of that. I was telling my folks about the new Wii U the other week and I could see gleams of interest from both of them... but if it's too complicated it's going to be a waste of time buying it.

8. JDX Gold badge

@Danny 5

You're not a fanboy if one hardware failure puts you off entirely.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like