back to article Fedora 16 goes final with cloud and virtualization

Fedora has released the final build of Fedora 16, and is touting big improvements in the way the OS handles cloud computing and virtualization. Fedora 16, previously codenamed Verne, is sticking with the wildly unpopular Gnome 3.2 interface, but is giving users the choice between that and KDE 4.7. Incidentally, the wallpaper …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Wood

I've been using Ubuntu for a year or two now but recently made the mistake of "upgrading" from 10.10 to 11.10. Compared to Unity, Gnome 3.2 is a dream. But it won't run on my machine on Ubuntu 11.10 without all sorts of rendering issues.

Fedora 16 Live CD works fine, so I'm probably going to switch back to Fedora - but compared to Ubuntu, isn't it ugly? The default theme is cold and metallic and font rendering is awful - thin, spindly pixellated text with none of that nice antialiasing and subpixel rendering that Windows and Ubuntu users are used to. It's nearly enough to put me off the switch.

1. Bill Neal
      Flame

GUI

I have not seen the need to upgrade from Fedora 14. In every new windows machine I turn off the aero style. Maybe i'm backwards, but I like a machine to work, and to do so quickly. I don't care what the edge of my window looks like. An OS is not suposed to make an application look good. Every application I use, I run on the fullest possible part of the screen anyway.

P.S. If I wanted an OS that looked & acted like a "light weight" tablet, I'D BUY AN iPAD!

But I don't, so I won't. Ever.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm still using Ubuntu 10.10, either that or Debian 6. Too many issues with the newest Ubuntu releases. I tried setting up Ubuntu 11.10 last week and I couldn't get VMware tools or VirtualBox tools to work correctly due to the Linux Kernel Version. Ubuntu 11.10 uses the latest Linux 3 and found that VMware and VirtualBox only had 2.x kernel support for their tool installs.

You could probably get it working if you tinkered around, but I get fed up with this aspect of Linux. I just wanted the damn think to work, hence moving back to Ubuntu 10.10.

Anyway, after my completely off topic rant, I've trialled old versions of Fedora but didn't particularly like it, but I might be tempted to have a look in. I'm hooked on the apt-get (Aptitude) package management system and find it hard to move away from. I'm also used to the places that Debian/Ubuntu/Mint store their files and find it fairly pointless to re-learn/google how to do things that I can already do on Debian based Linux.

1. Jay 2
      Meh

Every so often I have a play with the latest distros via Parallels on my Mac. Unfortunately more often than not the kernel etc support (via Parallels Tools) lags a fair bit behind the final releases.

So to a certain extent I find Fedora and Ubuntu (not quite as much) to be a bit too bleeding edge sometimes. If I were to have a permanent Linux desktop, then I'd probably attempt to stick to something along the lines of Ubuntu LTS. Not to sure if it's me, but there seems to be a trend of software/OS being released to some sort of schedule if it's ready or not (and sometimes change for change's sake) as of late.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$ sudo yum groupinstall XFCE

......is your friend. When you log in next, there's a drop-down on the login screen....choose "XFCE".

Bingo.....Gnome 3 may still be installed, but you never need to see it again!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like