back to article New pics of giant black sphere hurtling toward Earth

A vast, inky black sphere approximately the size of a nuclear aircraft carrier is plunging through the void of space towards planet Earth, though NASA rather panickily insists that it will definitely not smash into our planet with devastating force. Radar image of asteroid 2005 YU55 obtained on Nov 7, 2011, at 19:45 GMT, when …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

jai
Silver badge

mul-ti-pass

i'm just saying, it looks like the big bad sphere of evil from the Fifth Element

we're all doomed!! doomed i say!!!

Alien

Mr Shadow

You told me not to interrupt me unless it was Mr Shadow and, um, it's Mr Shadow

Anonymous Coward

Mr Shadow

(In deep unearthly voice)

Am I disturbing you?....Not long now....

Nev
Bronze badge
Mushroom

Forget the Earth...

It almost clipped the moon!!!

Re: It almost clipped the moon

Bloody good point. Everyone goes on about earth impacts but what about a serious moon impact? After all, this object is going to pass a lot closer to the moon than it will to us. And a serious smash on the moon will be far more serious for us, long term, than a 400 kilo-tonne bomb going off (the estimated impact of this thing if it ever hit).

Is anyone tracking potential strikes on the moon?

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

"And a serious smash on the moon will be far more serious for us"

Because dusty moonface?

Bronze badge

Almost clipped the moon? Watch the animation again, it barely gets any closer to the moon than it does the earth.

Silver badge

No more moon would be a big friggin deal

If the moon was destroyed the tides would change a lot.

Tidal flows drive many of the nutrient cycles in the sea. No moon = no more inshore fishing.

The tides also clean out estuaries. In many parts of the world that essentially flushes the lav. No tides and many cities would turn into pits of disease overnight.

Of course even if this thing hit the moon it would be little to the moon's mass so the tides would still function. The moon would still provide the same fuction if it had a huge hole in it.

No more moon!

@Charles Manning: the asteroid is only one trillionth of the mass of the moon, so it would probably not destroy the moon entirely even if it did collide.

Silver badge
Boffin

Just look at the surface of the moon with a telescope

You will see it has been hit by FAR worse that a poxy little 300m pebble. There are several craters more than a hundred km in diameter (Bailly at 287 km for example).

jai
Silver badge

old skool asteroids graphics

all that graphic needs is a small white triangle, pew-pew'ing the asteroid as it gets near

Alert

What we really need...

.. is to fit the Earth with a big red Hyperspace button. That should avert any future asteroid-related problems.

Aaaargh we're in the path of VENUS now noooooooooooooo....

mt1
WTF?

How come

We didnt try and land on this thing?

They did it in the movies!

Mushroom

Not going to see it coming..

Because it's cloudy, obviously!

If the weather was going to be better I'd have wanted to know just what magnitude it was expected to reach on close approach; even with its low albedo, it might have been worth trying to spot with a telescope (maybe it'll block the light from a few stars briefly).

Boffin

Supposed to reach 11th magnitude, which is far dimmer than the 6th magnitude generally accepted as being required to see with the unaided eye. A 15cm or larger telescope and a moderately high magnification eyepiece ought to be able to resolve it, given good viewing conditions of course.

@Tom 260

It said on local radio you need at least six inches to see it. Come to think of it, precisely the same thing junk emails say. Perhaps our Spam Overlords have been announcing their arrival for many years!

But

A large telescope will not track to pick up this fast moving object.

Just hope that it hits a bit of junk of enough relative speed and mass to raise sparks.

Bronze badge

"A 15cm or larger telescope and a moderately high magnification eyepiece ought to be able to resolve it, given good viewing conditions of course."

Even with good viewing conditions you're not going to see it, because it's black. If you were lucky you might just see it black out a star.

FAIL

Optional

Somebody doesn't understand apparent magnitudes...

Alien

huh ??

ok so we have this rock as big as an aircraft carrier comming within the distance of our moon ..

then can someone tell me why it will fly a straight path ?? with the gravity of the earth pulling on it wont this bend the course of the rock ? and you even have the small but still a bit of gravity of the moon ?

Pint

Judging by its speed on that graphic, it won't be in the Earth's influence for that long at all really. And it's mass is comparatively tiny. the gravitational effect on its path will be negligible.

I would love to stand on the Moon and get a look at it.

It'll be deflected just enough to swing by next year and kill us all though. (Hopefully before the Olympic Games start and cock up traffic for the whole of South-East England)

Silver badge

Nearly

The change in its path is independent of its mass (assuming it to be negligible compared to the Earth) - G.M.m/d^2 = m.a and the m can be cancelled. The acceleration due to Earth's gravity at its closest approach is ~1/2500 of g at the Earth's surface, or about 4mm/s^2, hence little change in trajectory. The Moon's trajectory is (of course) significantly changed by Earth's gravity - but the Moon is only doing a couple of thousand miles an hour, this rock is more than an order of magnitude faster.

Boffin

Deja vu...

It's like it was two days ago or something, when the first article prompted a slew of posts lacking even the most basic understanding of physics. Nonetheless (deep sigh):

a) It is not travelling in a straight line, it is travelling in an elliptical orbit around the sun. The reason it looks like a straight line is simply a matter of scale. If you expanded the diagram to include the whole solar system, that would be obvious, but if you zoom in to the scale of the Earth-Moon system, the tiny portion of the asteroid's path you can see looks like a straight line.

b) The reason it doesn't take a sharp turn to the left (from the point of view in the diagram) when it passes by the Earth and moon is due to principles that Newton discovered (or nicked from his contemporaries if you prefer) the best part of 400 years ago and were taught in schools up to the 1980's, but no longer it appears:

- Intertia/Momentum: A body at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by an external force. A body in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

The object is going at a fair old lick, as you can see it pings past the whole Earth-Moon system and then some in about a day. It would take a lot of force to alter its path visibly at the scale of the diagram. Conversely, a tiny amount of force acting over a long time (years), i.e. the gravitational forces of the various bodies in the solar system, will alter its path by a small amount during each orbit.

- Gravity: Gravity obeys the inverse square law, so if you assumed that at a distance of 1 unit from the Earth, the gravitational attraction was also 1 unit, and then moved to a distance of 2 units, the gravitational attraction would be 1/4 unit, and at a distance of 8 units, it would be 1/64th of a unit. (Substitute whatever units you like and calibrate accordingly). In other words, you don't have to go very far away from the planet for the effect of gravity to become so small that it is almost imperceptable at these kind of speeds.

Not only that, but gravity is an incredibly weak force. Think about it, you can jump a good couple of feet in the air from a standing start; your puny legs pushing one way, a whole planet pulling the other. Compare it to magnetism, - you can pick up an iron nail up off the ground using a fridge magnet, and it will stay stuck. Tiny square of magnetised material pulling one way, whole planet pulling the other - which is the weaker force?

The upshot is that even at the distance of the moon, the Earth's gravitational attraction amounts to a gnat's fart for something travelling this fast. If it wasn't moving (relative to the Earth), then it would slowly accelerate towards the planet and eventually come crashing down, but at this speed it's not going to change orbit by a noticeable amount on the scale of the diagram given.

Silver badge
Boffin

THAT'S NO MOON! IT'S A SPACE STATION!!

"it's mass is comparatively tiny. the gravitational effect on its path will be negligible."

tsk. back 2 skool for you! force proportional to the mass, so the path deviation will be same for a grain of sand or a small moon.

(note for pedants & actual physicists - this assumes the object's mass is much smaller than the Earth's, and uses Newton's approximation to general relativity. so nur.)

Boffin

Deja vu deja vu...

..as per replies to the previous story, no it won't 'kill us all', it' is too small. The best you could hope for is that it would come down smack bang in the middle of Stratford during the opening ceremony. It would excavate a crater about a mile wide and a third of a mile deep, nicely obliterating the Olympic park.

Localised seismic event, about 5.6 on the Richter Scale, broken windows for some fair distance. If you were in Manchester (or better Scotland), you'd be watching it on the TV and feel no noticeable effects other than a smug sense of satisfaction.

Coat

this is the trial run...

gravity will adjust it and it will orbit the sun and get us next year...in december ;)

<== the one with the mayan calendar in the pocket...

TRT
Silver badge
Mushroom

Top left corner pocket...

Alien

Now entering orbit

I welcome our new galactic overlords.

Alien

It's the excession!

oGCU Grey Area

xMSV Not Invented Here

We're fucked.

Facepalm

Not just *any* aircraft carrier...

...its the size of a NUCLEAR aircraft carrier...

.....Oh Wow, Oh Wow, Oh Wow...

...Good Job...!

Headmaster

Tsk! I don't like these new fancy modern units.

I think 1 nuclear aircraft carrier is nearly equal to 6 and a half Nelson's Columns.

We're doomed.

SI Units

I think you'll find that Nelson's Columns (NCs) is an Imperial unit.

If you want an SI equivalent, 1 Nelson Column = 17, 112, 539 ham, cheese and branston pickle sandwiches.

Of course, the sandwiches must be prepared in a frictionless vacuum. Stupid Physicists.

Damage ?

Surely if its the same size as an aircraft carrier it will do less damage than a mushy pea by the time its burns its way through the atmosphere?

Anonymous Coward

Damage, well that depends

as to whether or not it is the size of one including useful aircraft or, MOD style, not.

Boffin

I think I'd rather be more than 100km away from the impact point if there was a snowballs chance in hell of it actually hitting the earth.

http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/cgi-bin/crater.cgi?dist=100&diam=400&pdens=3000&pdens_select=0&vel=13.7&theta=90&tdens=&tdens_select=3000

Even if it's made of ice and impacts at only 30 degrees, it'll still make a substantial crater according to that site. Meteroids < 10m in diameter sometimes survive the atmosphere, so you can be pretty sure one which is 400m in diameter (that's 1600 times as massive) is gonna make a pretty big dent.

Bronze badge

Your mentioning snowballs prompts me to mention that you can't predict what size it would be on impact, even if you knew the speed and angle it was to enter the atmosphere. How much of it burned away would depend on its composition and we don't know much about that.

Magnitude

Tom,

I looked at this a while ago. I can't remember exactly, but I think that was going to be either mag 9 or 11. Either way, not visible without a decent telescope and even then not easy. Shame, but if it's clear this evening I'm going to give it a go. I saw the supernova recently at mag 10 and it took me over an hour to find!

Anonymous Coward

I can for see few games and movies coming out because of this!

Anonymous Coward

What you cannot do, however, is spell!

Headmaster

Spelling? I think not.

The words are all spelled correctly. It is their usage that offends.

Bronze badge

The spelling looks OK to me. It's the grammar that appears to be faulty.

Joke

It's big, it's round, the earth it won't quite pound... it's yu55!

Black Helicopters

Radar images?

So how come the Radar images appear to be illuminated from above? Surely our ping comes from right here on Earth so we would see it illuminated full-face?

Or do you mean radio-frequency images, so the illumination is from the Sun's RF output?

Or is it all faked, like the pretend Russian mars-mission that just finished? ;-)

IT Angle

Its been googled

I take it the pixelation of the picture as been applied by Google to make sure it remains anonymous from Google Earth?

Paris Hilton

Thank Goodness!

It's a good job we put the clocks back last weekend otherwise this space rock would have hit the earth plumb center.

I'm using Paris-onian theory to make this claim.

FAIL

Doesn't anybody check their facts anymore?

"It's the size of a nuclear aircraft carrier.".

USS Gerald R Ford is 333 meters long by 41 meters wide. The asteroid is 400 meters in diameter. There's a big difference between a 333 meter long needle and a 400 meter sphere.

Silver badge
Devil

Yeah, but with the good people of 2011 seriously challenged to understand how gravity works or taking their daily news from News of the World or the Washington Post, we shan't be too picky, right?

Be happy that they are still able to focus on numbers THREE FRACKING DIGITS LONG.

Silver badge

What's that

in football pitches?

Soooo NASA was panicky?

Maybe you guys should start storing a bunch of your seed in your refrigerators...

Just in case...

Silver badge
Alien

OK, that thing looks like one of the eggs from "Alien"

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums