Feeds

back to article Honda upgrades humanoid robot to SERVE BEER

Honda's stair-climbing robot, Asimo, has resurfaced now that its developer has given the 'droid the ability to recognise faces and voices, and to pour drinks. So it can take orders, spot the regulars and serve beer. Just what's needed down my local. Honda said all this had come about because it had upgraded the intelligence and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

It can also

hop - which is even more impressive from an AI viewpoint.

Thumb Up

Yeah but...

...can he now go up and down stairs without falling over - as shown in that famous YouTube clip.

Seriously though, it's great that Honda persist with this in a time when most companies are paring stuff to the bone.

The speed upgrade is significant too - it may not seem like much but, as someone who spends too much time on a treadmill, I can verify that while 6km/h is a brisk walk, 9km/h is really a jog for most people. He only has little legs too!

Pint

who hasn't

fallen over once or twice whilst going up stairs though? I know I have after "serving" a few beers...

Thumb Up

Is there really a dwarf in there?

hehe

Silver badge
Pint

One word

Excellent

Coat

It has

finally reached its plateau - it can server BEER! All further development should cease immediately.

Paris Hilton

I can think of one other function it needs to reach perfection...Paris knows

oh, and it should have a flat top to it's head.

Share and enjoy!

Gold badge

Serving beer is not that difficult; there's a bar in Tokyo where there are is a Macaque monkey that can serve you. I also saw Asimo when I was there; the demo was very impressive, but do they still have to put those little marker dots down on the floor before-hand?

I've also seen a home-built beer serving "robot" although it was basically just a catapult built into a fridge; let your beer settle before opeing!

pouring beer

is a skill, you don't just pour it into a glass willy nilly, trying not to spill or crush anything.

Thumb Up

But can it provide you with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

TRT
Silver badge

How long does the battery last?

it walks/jogs like it has shit itself.

The concept of shitting is entirely alien to Azimo. It has no anus and no need for one. The most you could say is that it runs like you do when you have shit yourself.

Anonymous Coward

Curse this new-fangled automation ...

... taking away all our monkey butlers' jobs, leaving them on the scrap-heap, unemployed and homeless. I hope the servile simians have a good union to defend them!

Silver badge
Pint

Beer-tastic :) robot butler!

So I can assume the next step is grafting the electronic brain onto a live monkey?

Silver badge

I for one...

Welcome our new beer serving overlords :-)

(Hey, where's the Welcome doormat icon gone?)

ok then

it runs like i do when i have shit myself.

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Mankind will be obsolete....

When one of these can DRINK beer!!

I'm off to the survival bunker....

Alert

"57 degrees of movement freedom"

Have Heinz had something to do with this?

More importantly, I would like to know if it can make TEA...

This topic is closed for new posts.