Feeds

back to article OMG - It's raining raw fish in tasty little packages

Fast fishy food chain YO Sushi! plans to buy servers no more as it heads into the cloud, according to IT manager Billy Waters. A much needed infrastructure refresh was looming for the firm which carves up raw fish and serves it on conveyer belts for punters, as it was using Microsoft Exchange, Office and other apps on seven year …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Our servers are due for a refresh early next year, whilst getting the budget approved I came under considerable pressure to move to Office 365 or Google Apps. But I simply refused, and this is not me dragging my feet or failing to provide the business IT needs, quite the contrary, I'm doing this because I know the company cannot afford nor accept the outages that would effectively shut the business down for potentially several hours.

People in the office see 99.9% SLA and think that's almost 100%, they've not done the maths that tells then this could actually equate to many hours of list business.

In my opinion the cloud it ready for certain things, such as web hosting etc, but services such as 365 need time to mature.

Bronze badge

I smell something...

It's a word from your sponsor.

In all seriousness, if BPOS and/or Office 365 start going down on a regular basis, they could probably break even in two years.

Thumb Up

This is news?

Tiny companies like ours have been using the cloud (Kashflow, SalesForce, Google Apps, 37Signals) for years and have benefited vastly as a result. Apart from mac.com, which we dumped, outages have been trivial. Oh and by the way, "latter" is the second mentioned of 2, not 3 or more (as opposed to "former").

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Here, hold my wallet for me.

For much the same reason I would never ask a complete stranger to hold my wallet, I would never allow my data to be completely controlled by someone else.

When I control my data I can guess at what issues I might have, and I can plan for them, but with my stuff in the cloud, I can only "hope" they are doing the same, I can never really know.

Things I would worry about are:

Environmental concerns (a la floods, earthquakes, and volcanoes).

Political issues leading to physically being isolated from the hardware storing my data.

Disgruntled employees destroying or copying my data.

Zero-day exploits on a holiday destroying/corrupting my data.

Backbone issues on the internet cutting me off from my data.

The company going out of business, and their assets being sold off with my data on it.

Criminal activity on the same server as my data, resulting in a government entity seizing my data in the process.

Their inability or non-willingness to improve their infrastructure creating incompatibilities with my hardware/software.

Future bandwidth caps imposed after the fact, prices going up at the end of the contracts. (for example your contract ends; they decide to bill per meg on outbound traffic, so trying to move my data to a new cloud service would cost hundreds of trillions of dollars. :)

Not knowing who really can see my data (sysadmins, various techs at the company)

Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

We in the IT fields need to shut this whole cloud idea down, or else there will be no jobs for us in the future, well except at the few cloud data centers (all located in cheap labor countries).

Silver badge

your real biggie is always going to be the Data Protection Act.

Headmaster

Sushi doesn't have to involve raw fish. It is one of the available options, but only one of them. Most sushi involves cooked seafood or vegetables

Yag
Bronze badge

Indeed...

Avocado and garlic maki sushis are quite tasty and healthy.

Damn, I want some again... Curse you El Reg! Curse your non-junkfood inducing articles!

Coat

I have nothing useful to add to the discussion...

Except that I read the title and went "It's raining fish! HALLELUJAH!" (to the tune of "it's raining men").

Mine's the raincoat with the copy of _300_ in it.

This topic is closed for new posts.