back to article LinkedIn whips out begging cap, asks for $500m

LinkedIn is looking for a few million dollars more from the market so it can increase its capital and its public float. The social business network wants to raise the funds with a secondary offering of around $100m worth of its own shares, with another $400m or so coming in from stocks sold by existing holders. "The proceeds …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Down

So..the old 'spam your members with crap' strategy isn't panning out then?

Shame.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We used to be plagued with those emails.

We used to be plagued with those emails. And then I started to blackhole LinkedIn emails instead and they stopped being a problem. Funny that I didn't get any complaints about them being missing..

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Thumb Down

Spam

and that's probably why their mail servers end up in spam block lists, their spam is blocked and then they have annoying messages saying that their annoying spam messages are being blocked.

However, I find that the users spamming their users are worse; and even as a moderator, you can't get profiles kicked off even when there are 20 identical profiles with no content at all, just to be members of groups to spam.

2. steward
    Boffin

The main problem...

is that their 'premium' rate is so high, many people who would like more services aren't willing to pay that amount to contact people they can find on Facebook. If they lowered that fee, they'd likely receive more overall revenue.

3. JDX Gold badge

$500m

What costs half a billion dollars?

4. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Money

OK so you've said where their income came from (and I'm surprised that it's so high!), but you didn't say where it went! They had $139.5m come in this quarter and still made a loss! Did someone forget to turn off the champaign taps in the executive bathroom?

5. Graham Bartlett

So where's the money going?

No innovation going on, so this isn't investment into product development. Servers aren't that expensive. And they don't have much advertising.

That leaves one thing. Massive great snowdrifts of charlie up the managers' noses.

6. steven W. Scott
    FAIL

Severence packages....

can cost hundreds of millions. Linkedin is crap, peeps are only on it because the think they need to b on it. A useless recruiter, demo stat, and spam tool. Much better ways to market biz and yourself. I predict Linkedin will soon be Linkedout of the interwebs.

7. Zoopy

Another problem: LinkedIn --> OptOUT

A few months ago I cancelled my LinkedIn account because they were getting more aggressive (and sneaky) about "opting me in" to sharing information with advertisers and partners. I expected that kind of crap with facebook, but not linkedin. I was surprised by how quickly they destroyed my trust.

8. Ramazan
    Pint

OptOUT

I've terminated my LinkedIn and gmail accounts several months ago. And I didn't start having Facebook one in the 1st place

9. JDX Gold badge

@steven W. Scott

With predictions like that you should join MS' strategy department.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like