back to article Amazon rethinks Kindle Fire 2 screen size

Amazon has yet to release the Kindle Fire, its 7in Android-based tablet e-book reader, but it's already being claimed that the firm has chnaged its mind about the Fire 2. Originally said to be a 10.1in job, the next Amazon tablet will actually have an 8.9in screen. So say moles from within "Amazon's supply chain" - LG and/or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Peronally ...

I think the 7 inch size is about right, any bigger and I'd need a bag to carry one. I can carry my 7 inch tablet in my pocket including a case.

Smaller makes it more of an old fashioned PDA or phone sized device and you'd lose all the benefits of any screen size for readability.

Silver badge
Coat

7" - Kindle Fire

8.9" - Kindle Bonfire

10.1" - Kindle Raging Bonfire

14" - Kindle Global Thermonuclear War (or maybe the Kindle WOPR)

and...

5" - Kindle Candle

Bronze badge

Thumbs up for the war games reference

Silver badge
Thumb Up

WOPR, ahh...

...nice one. :)

Coat

Literary Kindles

I feel a Shakespearean theme coming on:

7" Kindle Much Ado About Nothing

8.9" (or iPad size) Kindle Measure for Measure

10.1" Kindle As You Like It.

Anonymous Coward

A4 now!!

Get with it ye bloody slackers.

But paperbacks are closer to A5.

Flame

With so many 10inch tablets already available, I can see why they might be backtracking.

I run the Kindle app on my 7inch Tab and can't fault it. Probably the reason why ebook readers are generally a similar size?

Paris Hilton

Right size

7 inches is about right isn't it? :-) Perhaps Paris likes them bigger, though.

Seriously though, the bigger devices are heavy and awkward to hold for long spells of reading. I've done lots of reading with my 7" e-Ink Kindle, and it works quite well for that. I picked up my 7" Kobo Vox LCD reader/Android-tablet a couple of days ago, and it is noticeably heavier, but still quite holdable. I've been playing around with it quite a bit (my first Android device), so haven't tried it for any serious reading yet, other than the manual.

FAIL

You read the manual?

Call yourself an IT expert - pah!

Linux

I'm better now

At the time, the only other books I had on it were the free ones: a kids book and a recipe book. Had to use *something* to try it out. I've got a bunch of free books now - tried "The Lost World" this aft.

Haven't figured out how to get stuff from the main Android app store yet - it keeps telling me that I need an Android phone registered with it. I'm sure others have managed to get Android apps onto tablets, but so far no luck for me - I'm stuck with the official Kobo app store.

Bronze badge

9" or 10" ...

doesn't matter as long as the whole package is light and slim. Just make one without backlight, e.g. Qualcomm's Mirasol !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums