back to article Apple iOS 5's hidden 3D revealed

iOS 5, the latest OS for Apple trinkets, has hidden depths in the form of support for 3D objects embedded in web pages though the use of WebGL, and not just for paying customers. At first it seemed that WebGL would only be available for advertisements using Apple's iAd framework, but Aussie developer Nathan de Vries has worked …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

Rats

how we going to charge for that next time now - remove it via the app store?

2. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Stereo web ads?

Do they expect that everyone will start wearing anaglyphic glasses when they are using the internets or learn how to view cross-eyed stereopairs?

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

This is nothing to with that kind of 3d. It's more about using hardware acceleration to display 3d objects, in much the same way that most games do.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Oh, my bad

I was watching some stereopairs just before seeing the article and must have been a bit confused...

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Only for ads?

"At first it seemed that WebGL would only be available for advertisements using Apple's iAd framework,"

OK, so let's support 3D rendering, but ONLY to ram crap down your throat - not to do anything USEFUL.

Advertising has become a cancer upon the world - a parasite, providing no benefit to its host, existing only to serve itself.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Security

The reason is simply because WebGL still has some security issues to shake off.

Allowing only WebGL on the controlled environment of iAds isn't a problem, Apple has to approve each iAd after all, letting it out on the open web is a whole other thing.

For references check the Wikipedia page on WebGL: "Notable independent graphic and security experts have weighed in reinforcing that WebGL is a severe security risk and will be hard to secure, including John Carmack[22] and Dan Kaminsky.[23]"

2. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

Android

All the Lintard and iTards want to know why the Android ecosystem is "better" than the Apple Walled Garden? Now you know. Features for the sake of features is Androids motto. Apple's is features us to cut everyone else out, and just enough for the end-users to use to make our product sell.

3. ThomH

It's more likely to be about control

Apple are big supporters of WebGL but the technology is hard to get right from a security point of view as per the comments of Microsoft. iAd content is HTML based but Apple get to vet it before sending it out. So enabling WebGL only for iAds gives them an opportunity to test their implementation in a controlled fashion.

I think it's safe to assume the measure is temporary, as per the faster Javascript engine that was rolled out across the OS only in small steps a few versions back.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I assume...

... support for WebGL isn't completely finished/tested so Apple wants to have control of what's being displayed with it. I think they review iAds, so they can confirm that they work with the current WebGL implementation. Think of it as a controlled beta test before assuming that Apple is looking for ways to antagonize their customers for no reason.

5. Annihilator
      Boffin

Uhm..

3D rendering *is* supported in any app you care to write for it, through OpenGL and DirectX. It's powered by the PowerVR GPU built into the A5 processor.

Besides, advertising has its place in the world. Even the sign outside a shop telling you it's a kebab shop is a form of advertising. Hosting a corporate website is advertising. To call it a cancer is a tad overdramatic.

1. Sean Baggaley 1
        Boffin

Er, not quite...

... DirectX is specific to Microsoft's own platforms. It's extremely proprietary.

DirectX does rather more than OpenGL does, as the latter is *only* for 3D graphics rendering; DirectX also has APIs to deal with input devices, audio, and a bunch of other stuff game developers tend to find useful.

Apple's iDevices support OpenGL ES, not full OpenGL. OpenGL support is found on their Macs.

Agree with the advertising stuff though. Advertising is just a fancy term for "Telling you about stuff we're selling." It's every business' mating call. People have been advertising since the invention of language.

4. Ocular Sinister
    Go

Checks NoScript...

Yup, its already got an option to block WebGL. Bring it on, if you think I'll notice the difference!

5. anentropic

WebGL not interactive...?

"WebGL is today's attempt to get 3D objects into web pages, using JavaScript this time around. It's not as interactive as the HTML-based VRML was"

um, this is nonsense. people are writing games with WebGL. Being as it's used via Javascript I think it's fair to say WebGL is a lot *more interactive* than VRML, which was just a markup language.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like