Feeds

back to article RIM is now worth less than its assets

A fall in the share price of battered BlackBerry maker RIM puts the firm's market value below the value of all its stuff today. With a share price of $18.59 at 12.21 EDT, Research in Motion's total stock added up to less than what its property, patents and other assets are worth, according to the book value of $18.92 a share …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Meh

Well I got it the wrong way around,

I thought that Nokia would be first against the wall with their only successful market being basic cheap 90s phones then it would be RIM who still think mobile email is a USP... Looks like RIM is first.

Not that the world will miss either.

Thumb Up

HAHA

This is proof that bad managment can keep there jobs.

Megaphone

look over in that direction, no "there"

vs

my apple

your apple

his apple

her apple

their apple

= "...bad management can keep their jobs"

FFS

The face RIM still haven't got a native email client on the playbook is just ridiculous. They don't even need to write one from scratch there are loads of open source email clients already written that could be easily ported to the playbook and just need tweaking to work with a touch screen interface.

Silver badge

So can google now top up their patent pot rather cheaply?

Anonymous Coward

Karma is a beyotch

Funny that ... you start out in life by using negativity to progress (Lawsuits In Motion anybody?), and look what happens to you in the end!

Samsung & Apple - take heed ;)

Anonymous Coward

heh

RIM got a lawsuit against them over push email eons ago, and that dragged on for a long long time. That was RIM's first lawsuit - against them.

So basicly what are you on about? Sure moto did get RIM lawsuited few years back but I would hardly call them on that as a karma hit. Apple on the other hand have been somewhat pervasive and as you will probably agree - silly, and causing Samsung to be silly in return. Utterly nothing to do with RIM.

FAIL

Innovate

or die...

Silver badge
Coat

Not only are they behind the ball in technology, they are behind in their OWN technology which is nigh on criminal in the business world.

The only thing that might, I say might, save them short term is a universal BBM app for iOS, Android and BB. RIM promised that too long ago, but no sign of it yet.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Sad

Y'know, as a Canadian (eh?) I've always felt a bit of pride over RIM (and before that, Corel) but they just seem to have completely lost their way. They seem to be getting more and more out of touch with what the market wants, and their share price and userbase seem to be suffering because of it.

Anonymous Coward

On the bright side...

...If you're a playbook owner, it's no problem not having an email client - you can't get email on the phone, either!

--Written by a PlayBook owner on his Torch, which this evening called an employee's house when another call dropped; when the call dropped the phone instantly started taking touch input again. My cheek proceeded to somehow select and place a call in the two seconds it took to notice the dropped call and move the phone.

One of these days, the cat is going to sit on it at 3am and call a potential client at 3am, who will see my name, and become outraged when he hears only rumbling and the sound of scratchy fur.

Oh, I'd ended this post, hadn't I. Well, carry on, then; you've all done very well.

Bronze badge

Missed article heading opportunity

"RIM shot"

Anonymous Coward

so now will be a good time to buy the company?

the patents that the company own is not something to overlook when you have to deal with everyone suing the other!

any way, the company can still make a comeback if it improves on its phone and try to target non-cooperate punters. I've seen a few teens who own the BB phone because of the BBM service. They are happy with the service and exited about the fact that it is free*.

Apps (yes, I got infected with the word as well) are fine, but cheap services that allow teens to "keep in touch" with each other is a major selling point. Put more money into those services.

* I tried to tell them that it is not _free_ if you have to pay US$ 5 every week to use it.. but they won't lesson.

Anonymous Coward

Re: so now will be a good time to buy the company?

"They are happy with the service and exited about the fact that it is free"

sorry, should have been "excited" and not "exited"

hopefully the grammar Nazis will leave it at that.

Headmaster

Dear AC 11:58

Nice try, but you still need to sit down and "listen" to a spelling "lesson".

You only get off the hook if you dictated your post using Siri.

Maybe

Their assets are currently over-values due to the number of unsold playbooks sitting on shelves and in warehouses.

Thumb Up

Hang on... the retail value of unsold inventory is included in asset calculations, regardless of the saleability of the product?

If that's actually true, I'm gonna list one of my company's products at $5.5 billion, and get all kinds of good press for my stratospheric growth!

Happy

strange culture and political enviroment in RIM

In RIM if you figure out problem and introduce efficient approach, both manager and his buddy group member will proof their wrong approach works.

just like someone point out driving a car is right way, pushing a car is wrong way, then both manager and his buddy group member will hate you, and proof that 3 person can also move the car by pushing it.

This is one side of the strange culture, another side of RIM strange culture is like: because the manager and CEO are buddies as well , so people will say: yes, it is moving, pushing a car is really right way.

RIM is not system oriented company, just self-destruct small company buddy culture, with a fat body. it is very strange company culture and strange company political environment, RIM’s management may be a typical instance in MBA course.

strange culture and political enviroment in RIM

In RIM if you figure out problem and introduce efficient approach, both manager and his buddy group member will proof their wrong approach works.

just like someone point out driving a car is right way, pushing a car is wrong way, then both manager and his buddy group member will hate you, and proof that 3 person can also move the car by pushing it.

This is one side of the strange culture, another side of RIM strange culture is like: because the manager and CEO are buddies as well , so people will say: yes, it is moving, pushing a car is really right way.

RIM is not system oriented company, just self-destruct small company buddy culture, with a fat body. it is very strange company culture and strange company political environment, RIM’s management may be a typical instance in MBA course.

This topic is closed for new posts.