Feeds

back to article All 4G telcos must hit 98% coverage, Ofcom told

Ofcom should demand 98 per cent coverage from all 4G operators, rather than 95 per cent from one, and claw back some cash from EE for the spectrum it was given. So says The Ministry of Fun, which took governance over Ofcom earlier this year. A committee of MPs has been looking at the 4G auction plans and concluded that the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

optional

I assume this would be 98% of population coverage, as 98% georphical coverage would be a tad expensive to implement.

Bronze badge

2G spectrum can't be used for 3G?

I'm not up with the technical details, but Optus is running 3G on 900MHz alongside it's GSM900 here in Australia. Does that not work in the northern hemisphere?

2G into 3G

Technically there's nothing much to stop it working here, it's more of a legal issue as outlined in the article.

98%

Yep, 98% of the UK population lives within about 60% of the land mass.

So areas outwith the SE and major cities are forgotten about, again.

coverage

Look we are not a big country. In fact we are teeny tiny. There should be no excuse for not getting 3G/4G coverage across the whole country.

I was in Turkey over the Summer. I went to visit some ruins in the middle of nowhere. Literally about 2/3 hours from any sign of human life. Full 3G coverage. Lovely. Yet I can travel 15 minutes outside of London and suddenly be lucky to get WAP.

It would make sense to have one network covering 98% of the land mass with high capacity and then sell capacity to operators to market. Why have four or five operators each providing a poor coverage/bandwidth?

This topic is closed for new posts.