back to article Panasonic DMR-PWT500 3D BD Freeview HD DVR

In the Twilight Zone between Blu-ray players and DVRs you’ll find Panasonic’s DMR-PWT500 that boasts a combination disc spinner and digital TV timeshifter. Space-saving convenience is main USP of this hybrid, so if you want one box that can do it all, it’s certainly worth an audition. Panasonic DMR-PWT500 3D Blu-ray player and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

standard Panasonic ROVI EPG

Reading between the lines, that means ads wasting half the screen, right?

Anonymous Coward

Rovi EPG

Does the Rovi EPG have those adverts or, instead, a wasted black space ?

Anonymous Coward

SO when it comes to Media avi & mkv's are fine unless they are on a media server?!? what?!? are you saying they don't play then? if so I'll give it a miss..thats probably also because some panas have adverts all over the program guide (what about this one?) And 320GB is just wrong.. I have two spare 1tb's on my shelf so maybe its fixable?

I was hopeful they had finally got it somewhere close to right.. but still no cigar.. I guess when I'm dead they might manage it. (i certainly won't be buying then though!)

So, basically, this is £410 for a DVR that doesn't play most video types; has broken DLNA support, shows adverts in the EPG, and only has 320GB of disk space?

And Panasonic are at a loss to explain why they're about to go under. *slow clap*

The sign on the Panasonic building down here in Sydney has a few lights out so at night it is proudly displaying PAN---NIC - seems appropriate!

Hmmmm

If it's anything like the DMR-BW780 BluRay recorder we've got here, it'll have decent recording quality let down by the most half-baked, frustrating, inconsistent and poorly thought through interface. 20 key presses to finalise a disc when you've just finished burning it? Failure to recognise a disc you've just formatted unless you remove it, and cycle the power? When editing the title of a recording, pressing Delete inserts a space, and pressing Pause deletes? That's Panasonic, that is.

Streaming Freeview HD is not allowed (depends on rights flags)

In order to use the Freeview trademarks HD and the huffman encoded EPG content must be protected (unless flagged copy freely) so is unlikely to be permitted over DLNA without using DTCP-IP which I doubt most software players can handle.

There is also the fact that Freeview HD broadcasts are somewhat interesting and some devices have a hard time playing them correctly due to the changes between 50i and 25p that occur regularly on the current encoders.

I use MythTV to record (not Freeview trademarked) so that it can use the trade secret (according to the BBC) information that is on the internet here: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/mpeg/freesat_tables.h which I believe was legally reverse engineered from the information that they broadcast over a large area of Europe.

With MythTV acting as the UPNP/DLNA server the Freeview HD content works correctly my 2011 BRAVIA TV but not on the Playstation3.

shame

Theres no decent telly on freeview. so pointless product

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums