back to article iPad 2 made from T-Rex fossils costs £5m

We've seen hardware go so overboard with gem-encrusted bling, that it was difficult to imagine it getting any more expensive. Insert some dinosaur fossils though and - hey presto! - you can sell an iPad for £5,000,000. The iPad 2 Gold History takes blingage to new extremes. Not only are these slabs covered in two kilos of 24 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JC_
    Thumb Down

I'm No Geologist...

...but 75 million years old is hardly the oldest stone on the planet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_rock#Oldest_terrestrial_material

Daft idea, fools & their money and all that.

1. MrT
      Gimp

I'd buy it, but...

...I'm waiting for the iPad 3 version, with 100 million year-old rock, 2.1kg of gold, 58g of fossilised Spinosaur jawbone, and the Apple logo made from an angel's eyeball.

2. Ralph 2
    FAIL

This is exactly the same "company" which "made" the 100-tons-of-gold yacht which proved to be completely made up. So why do you believe this is real?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

seriously???!

WTF! Why would you piss away 5 mil on an ipad when you can have one for under £1000?

Wouldn't that money be better off in a charity tin somewhere? I'm just saying, the human race is doomed - that is all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

At 5,000,000

...At least in the UK...

that would mean that just shy of £1,000,000 of the purchase price was VAT. VAT goes into the big governmental pot that funds education, the NHS, etc.

Without it, that £5Mill would have been stuck in stocks and shares or kept under the bed or shipped to Columbia to fund a farmer...

Also, someone down the line has worked to earn that money. Yes, the corporate structure does take a lot of the individual risk out of these jobs- and this is something that needs to be rectified. But think of it this way: Every unit of currency that is spent on something like this will be out of the hands of the greedy accountant bastards and in the hands of some playboy. Who will fritter away their money on fast cars (tax paid, production jobs, design jobs, research jobs, delivery jobs, massive tax paid on petrol, etc), fast women (loads of clothes and other crap bought- and taxes paid on it), gadgetry (sales, research, 'product development', etc jobs), etc. Even snorting it all up provides jobs- and job security- in places like Columbia for the farmers, chem lab techs, delivery guys- and a wide array of income-tax-dodging-but-VAT-paying 'sales types' over here.

So in the name of Egalitarianism we should _encourage_ things like this! Anything that gets the money from the tight-fisted accountants and into the hands of those who will spend it- and get 1/5th of that into the hands of the NHS- is good in my book.

Don't worry about Human Kind- all that money will eventually fritter it's way through the hands of the government (health services, education, etc) and then get blasted back out again to be re-spent!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm no designer

I'm no designer but Stuart Hughes looks to be a bit of a nob end.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He's got nothing on any imperial class nob end that would pay £5 million for a iPad.

5. Arnold Lieberman
    WTF?

That's just mental

Why bother giving to charitable causes and enhancing the lives of millions of people when you can purchase this testament to vanity and self-regard.

6. Havin_it

... um ...

7. Pete Rowley
    FAIL

Hang on what?

"Having passed its 75 million birthday, Canadian Ammolite is the oldest stone in the world. "

Not even close. Come on Reg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_dated_rocks

1. Marvin the Martian
      Mushroom

I was thinking maybe to change that to "youngest stone in the world"; but then, e.g., new stone is continuously created in volcanoes.

Still, it's an outrageous error to leave in the "article" (read: paraphrased press release). But start snipping at that (and the fact that the product doesn't exist, like the golden yacht by the same bloke) and there's no article left.

8. I_am_Chris

2Kg of gold!

Christ! You'd only be able to hold it 5min before your arm gets knackered.

I guess that's what 'staff' are for...

9. ed_g

Is this guy actually shipping any products or is he just a tasteless self-publicist? Most if not all of the shots on his ludicrous website look like comps, or shonky prototypes at best.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Just another Apple product...

...for people with more money than brains/taste/fill in your own thoughts.

11. John Latham

Crushed fossils - WTF?

How long before someone offers a iPad folio case made from human skin?

12. ed_g

... he's missing a trick by not branding these 'Stuart Hughes Information Technology.'

13. Nanners
    Paris Hilton

How in the hell

did you get so rich being so stupid.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm sure this doesn't cover them all

But 'owning land and gaining revenue from oil found under it' is the normal way that stupid people get stacks of money sufficient for this sort of thing.

Hence the mental-grade Saudi wealth from a country that does very little from what I can see aside from export oil, and the 'Texan Oil Tycoon' stereotype.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ Nanners

Sadly, monetary wealth doesn't always, in fact very rarely, correlates with IQ.

14. a33a

Aha!

But will it blend?

15. jake Silver badge

Eh?

Since when was 75 million year old stone "the oldest"?

And who in their right mind would want an extra four and a half pounds of easily scratched/dented metal added to a fondleslab? I guess the old saw "a fool and his money ..." comes into play ;-)

16. Anonymous Cowerd
    WTF?

oldest stone?

"Having passed its 75 million birthday, Canadian Ammolite is the oldest stone in the world"

It's about 3,925 million years too young for the title of oldest stone.

17. Cameron Colley

Why settle for an unmodified iPad?

For that ammount of money I'd expect at leas a USB host port, an SD slot, increased storage, IR remote, garage door/gate opener, fingerprint scanner, two full HD video cameras and more I can't think or right now -- all with supporting software.

If you're going to spend your money on modifying something at least make it better at its primary purpose.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

About as sophisticated...

... as snorting mummia against a head cold. Yes, they used to grind up mummies and tout it as a cure; you'd've thought we know better now. Apparently not.

Just thinking about it makes me slightly nauseous. The money's completely inconsequential. Just a pity that people with more money than taste apparently keep on giving it to this high end pikey, as it appears contagious.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I call fake. I have no doubt that neither of the two will ever be made. Has anyone ever seen one of his supposed products?

Oh and his website is Flash-ridden shite so if by some small miracle he actually produced the goods, you wouldn't be able to view it using his imaginary iPad.

Conman is the word that springs to mind but at least his prey are sheeple so its ok(they have already been conned once)

20. ian 22

NO

Just NO.

That is all.

21. Wombling_Free
    Mushroom

Why T-Rex?

If I was paying $5 x 10^6 I would want it made from the ground bones of Pope John Paul II (I'm sure that is probably an option)

A 2.9kg iPad seems somewhat unusable, too.

The fact there there is 1. a market for shit like this, and 2. the kind of oxygen thief willing to make it is truly frightening.

First against the wall when the revolution comes! Mind you, my list is getting long, so they might get to be 5th in the queue. For $1,500,000 I can offer them my special, exclusive gold-class executive CEO-tailored luxury cart to the head of the queue, where they will be slowly eviscerated by platinum-tipped cast gold T-Rex claws.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Pirate

You realise, of course, that this is why the revolution never comes. Every time we're ready and just about to get started, another jackass pops his head up and we have to extend the wall.

22. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

I'm dissappointed...

Ground up T rex bone? I was expecting the slab to be embedded in a skull... just don't cut yourself when you use it. Computing with a Bite!

But seriously, why waste valuable fossil records of our planet's past when you could be extracting DNA and growing your own pack of T rexes to let loose on your country estate?

The one with the keys to the emergency generator in the pocket, thanks.

1. Andrew Garrard

Exactly

By all means waste some rock, and while there's a finite amount of gold out there it's at least recyclable, but I really hope the T-Rex bone in question was dust before it got incorporated. Being rich and buying something rare is one thing, buying something that the scientific community could have used is just being a dick.

1. James Hughes 1

Exactly@Exactly

T-Rex fossils are extremely rare (I don't think a complete skeleton has ever been found). Grinding even a bit of one to dust for this is criminal.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like