Feeds

back to article Five... great games for the Xperia Play

Touchscreen gaming on a small screen has two inherent problems. Firstly, the very act of controlling the game involves obscuring the view with your fingers and, secondly, with no physical controls you can sometimes end up pressing furiously at entirely the wrong part of the screen as you get cut down like a dog, squashed flat, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

what permissions do they require?

Should be a standard part of any Android app review. I know I've started downloading Asphalt a few times only to be put off by the "Read phone state and identity", "Change wifi status" and "Full Internet Access" requirements....

Bronze badge

Android permissions

It would be nice if the market had a way to more accurately describe what each app is doing with the listed permissions, so that less people were scared.

While I don't know Asphalt itself, "Read phone state and identity" /can/ be something as innocuous as checking whether you are currently connected to non-WiFi Internet (all the better to warn you of possible charges and speed issues).

Coupled with the "Change wifi status" and "Full Internet Access" permissions, sounds like Asphalt is going to download a ton of texture maps and wants to warn you if it'll take an age to do so and give you the option to enable WiFi without leaving the app.

I agree with you, the permissions can be a little too coarse and easy to fret over. The above, for example, could also be used by an app to track your exact location using WiFi APs as extra positioning info...

Anonymous Coward

Asphalt 6 and Dead Space are currently free downloads .... as are a couple of versions of NFS and Battlefield 2 (+ I think FIFA12 when it comes out).

As for: "Read phone state and identity", "Change wifi status" and "Full Internet Access"

Think this means "need to check that the game has been bought for this phone", "turn on wifi to download the 400MB game data on first run" (install from market just downloads a small driver/installer porgram) and "need internet to install the game, check for updates and possibly send data to highscore lists etc"

Coat

Was I the only one reading this as "great games for the Five Xperia Play users"?.

hardware keyboards

I wish more games manufacturers would allow those of us who have keyboard phones to reprogram the controls as well as for the Xperia Play. E.g. have the Xperia Pro and it's great for emulators, (I use W for up, A for down, Q for left, and S for right - a bit quirky being at an angle but when you get used to it, it's just as good as a dedicated game pad). Sony should be encouraging some of the PS Suite games onto the Pro too!

Anonymous Coward

> Was I the only one reading this as "great games for the Five Xperia Play users"?.

With the recent drop in price (locked to O2 for £149 and unlocked for £179-£189) then I think there are a lot of new users out there at the moment

This topic is closed for new posts.