Feeds

back to article Asus eyes Android, Windows 8 tablets in 2012

An interesting snippet emerges from Asus' latest financial results presentation: it expects to sell rather fewer tablets in the Christmas period that it did during Q3. Asus' Eee Pad shipment outlook reveals the company shipped 400,000 tablets - Eee Pad Transformers in the main - in Q2, followed by 800,000 more in Q3. These, Asus …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
FAIL

"Of course, units shipped in Q3 and still sitting on shop shelves may contribute to Q4 sales"

Asus Transformer has been shipment constrained all year. They have been unable to make enough to sell. There is almost none in the retail chain.

http://desktops.cbronline.com/news/emea-media-tablet-sales-soar-394-idc-230911

"ASUS Eee Pad Transformer proved to be one of the most successful Android models, and ASUS could have sold more if supply was not constrained, said IDC."

Silver badge

Fail?

While ASUS would doubtless prefer to be matching supply and demand the fact is they have a successful product. I'm sure they're in a much happier place than RIM are at the moment or even some of their Android competitors for that matter.

Just because it was supply constrained doesn't mean it still is. Apple also could have sold more iPad-2s if it hadn't been supply constrained, but those constraints no longer apply. Likely Asus could have sold more units if it had been able to get them to market while Apple was still struggling to meet demand, but it's a much rougher environment for them now - especially with the Kindle Fire launching in the US.

or

Possibly it sets it's targets low to make sure it blow its trumpet when it passes them?

The figure for the year are misleading given they did not ship any in Q1. If we take Q3 then for one of the many android tablet makers to get 7% of ipad sales from a standing start is really quite good especially as other makers don't benefit from the cult status of Apple. Also the success of the transformer can been seen by the unfortunate fact that unlike other tablet makers they have not been forced to drop the price to get them to sell.

(statement of interest, I own a asus transformer with keyboard dock and find it very good).

Excuse me?

"Thanksgiving gift-buying time in the US"

Americans do not give gifts at Thanksgiving, they give family members a reminder why they haven't seen each other in months.

Bronze badge

"Black Friday"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_‰%28shopping%29

"Black Friday is the day following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, traditionally the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. On this day, many retailers open very early, often at 4 a.m., or earlier, and offer promotional sales to kick off the shopping season, similar to Boxing Day sales in many Commonwealth countries."

Apparently only once has someone been trampled to death in the course of the festival?

Anonymous Coward

>Both sets of launches will be accompanied by "aggressive market share and mind share attacking" campaigns, Asus says

Oi ! I dont want my mind attacking TYVM ! If I wanted my mind tampering with I would have already bought an iSomething.

This topic is closed for new posts.