Sony is considering breaking up its joint venture with Samsung on LCD panels so it can cut its costs, according to a number of reports. Sources familiar with the matter were chatting with Nikkei and Reuters to say that the Japanese firm was hoping to strike a deal by the end of this year to sell its stake, which is nearly half, …
Or it could mean that consumer grade field emissive displays are just around the corner. Sony do have something of a lead in this technology.
Samsung is much better off without any dealings with Sony, so I hope they do break up.
@ Anonymous Coward
Unfortunately Sony's efforts in FED were an early casualty of the credit crunch when 'Field Emission Technologies' (FET), the FED joint venture that Sony was a major shareholder in, was closed down due to an inability to raise capital. Sony sold all it's patents and other FED assets to AU Optronics early last year.
- SMASH the Bash bug! Red Hat, Apple scramble for patch batches
- A BENDY iPhone 6, you say? Pah, warp claims are bent out of shape: Consumer Reports
- eXpat Files 'Could we please not have naked developers running around the office BEFORE 10pm?'
- CoTW Emma Watson should SHUT UP, all this abuse is HER OWN FAULT
- Vulture at the Wheel Renault Twingo: Small, sporty(ish), safe ... and it's a BACK-ENDER