back to article A rapid first hands-on: Nokia’s Windows phones

You are about to read what may be the shortest “hands-on” review you’ve ever read. But there is something quite surprising, I discovered, not appreciated until you compare both new Nokia models. Why the Clown Colours? After half an hour putting each through its paces, the budget model is the much more impressive offering. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. JDX Gold badge

Wasting your time

El Reg might as well not bother reviewing Mango or Mango phones. You're just going to get a flood of comments from people who haven't read the article and have never seen the phones, telling us that it's crap.

1. Ilgaz

it is crap

Until the market punishes microsoft to transform its sick like culture and nokia gets rid of the manager/suit leeches that put the company to this situation... Nothing good can come from them. In fact even if something comes good, it will spoil in future.

2. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Wasting your time

Doesn't that happen for every review? :)

1. Arctic fox
        IT Angle

The Curious Case of the SD-Card

According to Anandtech:

"Unlike the 800 however the 710 features a microSD card slot that can accommodate up to a 16GB card (24GB total)."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5015/nokia-lumia-800-710-windows-phones-announced

Have you any idea what is going on here Andrew? Why on earth has Nokia not put an SD-slot in the 800 when they have in the (relatively speaking) budget 710?

The icon? Well although it is IT it definitely deserves a question mark!

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Andrew...the 800 also is available in BLACK!

The colours are OPTIONAL.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nice preemptive attack

I see the msft employees are getting savvy, accusing the others of their own doings. Just looking at all the praise for the fugly WP7, and all the upvotes you got, makes one wonder. In particular when everywhere the reaction to these phones can be resumed as "meh". Low/mid-range specs, low/mig range price, fugly interface, OS barly comparable to old versions of the competitors, clowny colours...

One has to wonder how suddenly this forum has so much praise yet to be seen phones, and so much upvotes for the softies and downvotes for the critics.

4. N13L5
      FAIL

OK, so this is going to "push hard on Android"...?

Give me one reason why people should jump into Microsoft's walled garden to replace even two year old Motorola Defy models with this??

This is not faster, no better camera, no better screen, not even an SD slot, certainly not dust and water proof / mil spec rugged, didn't see gorilla glass mentioned, and yet its more expensive than the Defy was a year ago.

My one year old has thrown my wife's Defy on concrete floors with no damage (since I installed Toddler Lock, she thinks its hers, but she lets mommy borrow it, and she loves talking on it too)

A friend recently asked me why it is that toddlers go crazy over smart phones...

Anyway, I think people who want to be in walled gardens have already bought Apple phones and for those of us who don't like having someone else decide things for us, M$' walled garden that looks more like a ghetto seems no alternative, regardless of fancy big colored squares with clipped text.

2. Ryan 7

What about the one with the keyboard?

Hmmm?

3. Rhodri Marsden

Bogshed

I would never had had you down as a Bogshed fan, Andrew. *colossal round of applause*

Rhodri

1. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Bogshed

Fab live.

Nice to see you here, R.

4. dotdavid
    Meh

Xpress-on

What really baffles me is why Nokia don't try and resurrect the xpress-on covers they used to have. All da kidz can have their wacky coloured phones then, and the rest of us could have the relatively sober boring colours.

1. MrT
      Go

The 710 has them...

From https://www.nokia.co.uk/gb-en/products/phone/lumia710/specifications/ ...

"Personalisation - Swappable covers, changeable home screen colours"

So, better value than the 800, nigh-on the same spec, AND swappable covers = everyone wins. Can even (it seems) swap Voda-red, O2-blue and Orange-erm-orange colour schemes if they are a bit lairy after a while. Probably only to the standard WP-green, but it's a start...

Waiting for the tatt-bay knock-off third party Xpress-on cover in black with a silver apple on it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The back cover of the 710 is swapable. The current choice of covers is just plain, and in the same colours that Microsoft use for the tiles in the UI. There is nothing to stop other colours and designs being released in future.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's Windows Mobile, so no thanks.

I wouldn't use one of they paid me. That clown picture is a typical Windows Mobile owner....

1. aThingOrTwo

It's not Windows Mobile.

It's Windows Phone, not Windows Mobile.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Windows PHONE

That makes all the difference ... it should BLUE SCREEN if you dial for EMERGENCY HELP.

2. Darryl
      Alien

Hey, JDX

Look! It's like you're psychic

3. Robredz
      Linux

I would prefer to keep any Microsoft incarnations away from me. So it's No more Nokia for me. I snapped up a Pre 3 and it's just fine and dandy for my purposes, one Os with potential, and HP fsck up, but Heigh Ho

6. Ilgaz

stalk the manager suits and ask these

You should ask them about s40 qt and what were they thinking with meltemi linux announcement coming from nowhere.

What will they do with the elephant in the room as they partner with oracle's arch enemy and relying on java on "next billion" is another matter.

I assume it was hard for you to find a nokia contact there since you must be "enemy" based on your the register career. They like reporters working as their press.

It is amazing nobody asks about the natural upgrader customer base who runs abandoned symbian and who are really pissed off. Just recently endomondo guys officially declared end of updates. Sports tracking is one of couple things symbian phones do great because of battery life.

7. Chad H.
    Thumb Down

Speaking of which, at several points I asked Nokia people whether they would seriously choose to carry around a phone that is Shocking Blue, Shocking Yellow, or Screaming Pink. These are clown colours – they don't convey "edgy" or hip, but Ronald McDonald. Or Mr Tumble.

---

I'm an iPhone user.

But I'd be happy carrying around the blue one. I thought it looked quite nice.

1. Vladimir Nicolici
      WTF?

I don't get it...

Why is everyone complaining about the Lumia 800 "clown" colors?

It will also be available in black.

Or, as Gizmodo put it: "It's available in cyan, magenta, black, black, black, and black."

Even the picture from the Vodafone UK site shows the black version: http://www.vodafone.co.uk/brands/nokia/nokia-lumia-800/

2. c3
      Meh

Colors for Indian market ?

I read somewhere they are positioning these phones for the Indian market. Maybe someone at Nokia saw some Indian clothing and/or some Indian movies just after taking a look at India's wiki page, and thought:

Lower end (cheaper) smartphone + bright colors + India = 1 BILLION phones sold

3. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

I'd actually buy the pink...

No self-respecting theif's gonna be seen dead with THAT!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mango shmango

Why is it that no one can offer a 32GB-64GB capacity phone with at least a 4" screen and dual camera on the WP7.5 platform - the closest is the HTC Titan and Nokia could have had a winner over the Titan had they offered those options. (iPhone 4s=64GB anyone?)

Trying to sell me a phone in Q4 2011 with features of a phone from Q4 2010 simply isn't inviting at all - my iPhone 4 and HTC Desire HD is still more appealing at one year of age plus than any of the Lumias, I'll stick with them I guess.

1. saned
      Holmes

The Lumias are supposed to be budget phones, not top-of-the-line phones like those a year ago.

1. Paul Shirley

high end phones was the "burning platform" Elop abandoned

1: probably a safer gamble going budget/midrange right now. WP7 hasn't set the world alight and simply putting Nokia's badge on the devices won't magically turn that around overnight. Highly profitable high end phones would risk chasing a small share of a tiny market, a market Apple already own. Easier and safer to smuggle WP7 into many more peoples pockets with cheaper phones.

2: after so many engineers walked and with so short a deadline Nokia had little choice but to take last years high end hardware and hack WP onto them. Last years high end == this years budget. The lost talent aren't likely to return and Nokia are likely to be out of the high end for a long time.

3: Microsoft need volume more than trailblazing phones. What Microsoft wants, Elop delivers. Microsoft actually have to fight for sales, unlike the PC with its 'Microsoft tax' and default Windows installs. The bulk of the market don't care what the OS is, just that it works and the price is right and that means competing with increasing numbers of cheap, powerful Android devices.

9. MrT
    Thumb Up

Mr Tumble!

I wonder what the Makaton gesture for 'Elop', 'Nokia' and 'Microsoft' is...?

And could they get away with them on CBeebies...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

dunno, but

point to face and point to coat and you have iMac

2. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Mr Tumble!

+5

This calls for a competition!

10. Sander van der Wal
    Thumb Up

Shocking Blue

Named after the famous Dutch Rock act, one presumes? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shocking_Blue

11. John G Imrie

Lots of things promiced next year

Looks like Nokia have fully baught into the Microsoft way of doing things.

1. dogged

is that an Android spellchecker or iOS?

1. John G Imrie
        Windows

is that an Android spellchecker or iOS?

Windows XP.

Yes is true I typed the OP on a windows box.

Shame.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So for V1.0 of the great MS/Nokia adventure

I'll give it a 'Meh? So what'.

Compared to the opposition, these hardly break waves.

As normal with MS they promise a lot in the next version.

So we shall have to see what Version 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 gives.

Meanwhile, Android and Apple go marching on.

Meh?

1. eoin haluch

Strange WP7 V1.0 had wireless sync and a true notifications system, unless I'm mistaken it wasn't till V.5 that IOS had it?

Now I think about it WP7 v1.0 also had a hardware camera button that didn't require the phone to be unlocked. I could go on....

As for Andriod, well as the recent patent cases prove they just steal other peoples ideas!

1. christian baier
        Meh

if you really think software patents prove anything beyond that the guy with the lawyers and money to register obvious ideas often wins, you're mistaken...

2. Spearchucker Jones

Killer app.

Drive and Maps on the Lumia. Find it on YouTube. Nothing like it on Android or iOS.

13. Christopher Rogers
    Facepalm

ummm...yea.......

Was holding out to see what Nokia produce. Decision made. HTC Sensation XE. The whole thing smacks of meeeetooo and there really is nothing there that make the Nokias stand out. Suddenly the MS tie in looks more like a noose. Nokia to be to MS what Motorola is to Google?

1. Robert E A Harvey

"Suddenly the MS tie in looks more like a noose."

Suddenly?

2. Manu T
      Unhappy

told you, didn't I?

I've been telling for several months that there's really nothing that would differntiate Nokia's WP7 phones from all the other WP7 phones except the carl Zeiss logo on fron to/t device.

The reality is indeed that. You do get OVI Maps (or whatever it's been called now) something called Nokia Music (Comes with Music under a different name probably) and some lame ESPN stuff that nobody really cares about (since ESPN is only available in the US and NOT in those emerging markets that these current Nokia leaders deem so important but which they obviously overlooked).

They should have released the N9 worldwide in September. They should have appointed ME as CEO then they would have been world leader in comms again but since I don't live in those 'emerging markets' I'm not important enough, jusrt like all the other El Reg readers whom don't live in 'emerging markets'.

I'll stick with my C7 for the time being. In the future I'll probaly stop using cell-phones and cease working (since I'll be out of job because of those emerging markets ) anyway. And hence won't need a cell phone. Their all digging their own grave.

1. JC_

Free, worldwide offline sat nav doesn't differentiate the Nokia phones at all? What else do you want? A free blowjob & a ride on a unicorn?

1. BXL
          Happy

Aren't those 2 things incompatible ?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ovi maps - excellent

I find OVI maps on my Nokia C5 to be very good, having used them on foot and in cars in Australasia and half a dozen countries in Europe. In fact, on a recent drive across Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary they were rather better than my companion's Garmin device. Free to boot - one of the features making me hesitate before changing to an iphone or android.

Fact is, Nokia's built-in functionality is rather good. I hope both low and high end mobiles retain it.

14. Tom 7

Hallo darkness my old friend

"The new Nokia Music service was developed in collaboration with Microsoft"

A Simon and Garfunkel song springs to mind.

I couldn't actually see from the article if the 710 was going to be running android or just competing with it some completely unspecified way.

1. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Hallo darkness my old friend

Trouble over Bridgewater?

2. Chad H.

Might be on to something with the simon and Garfunkel thing...

They say that William H. Gates owns one half of this whole site

with political connections to keep his money tight

Born in the other washington, a lawyer's favourite son

he had everything a man could want.

Excel, Windows, Dos.

But I, I'm stuck with that damn Clippy. And I curse the comp I'm using and I curse all of IT..... Oh I wish that I could see, Oh I wish that I could see, yes I wish that I could Billy Gates

15. James 12
    Facepalm

Typical Nokia

So another one designed by a very large committee. Giving you absolutely 0 UPS that you wants and several large ones you really dont...

Who is going to choose this over the beautifully simple Apple island or the techky Android world?

Nokia are still stuck firmly in the 90s and will die there once the 3rd world moves past their cheap phones...

1. foo_bar_baz

It's "USP"

Don't say there aren't any until you've seen the bundled sat nav. People buy Nokia phones just for that alone.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I could do with a UPS..

Recently a mate of mine asked what I had in my rucksack.

As I was just using my iPhone I said, "that's the spare battery". I can't blame him for believing me, with WhatsApp sending all my SMS traffic to the NSA and 3G sucking the rest you actually need more juice.

I found a way to survive a day with one charge. First off, I ripped out WhatsApp (not tried iMessage yet - same NSA problem, ditto iCloud location services), secondly WiFi off, thirdly - no 3G. Especially the latter is an absolutely astonishing battery booster. I'll switch it on when I need the Net, but for email EDGE is good enough..

Anyway, sorry for the digression. It's the UPS that done it :-).

16. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like