back to article Larry Ellison takes a bath on San Fran mansion

Oracle boss Larry Ellison is set to lose $4m on a Bay Area property in Woodside, south of San Francisco. The Real Estalker reports that Ellison spent $23m in November 2005 to buy two properties a mile away from his main Japanese-style country estate and quite near to Redwood Shores and the Oracle HQ. 1 Turkey Farm Lane 1 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Occupy Oracle!

where's all the unbathed "99%" masses at this icon of conspicuous comsumption?

Nowhere near a large DNC supporter, obviously.

1. ThomH

They're out in force in central San Francisco

And it's a well known fact that you're never more than two metres away from a large DNC supporter in San Francisco.

1. Billl

I don't know about in SF... SF has been pretty aggressive in shutting down any large gatherings of late. If you want to see "large" gatherings of the unemployed then go to San Jose or Oakland.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

SF protests aren't that bad

y'all gotta realize that the"occupy" protest in SF is much smaller and less intrusive than the usual rabble rousing lot. Not nearly as bad as a monthly "Critical Mass" gathering.

SF is simply getting really good at managing these, and the people are getting really good at ignoring them.

But, to paraphrase another poster, you can't swing a dead cat and not hit some big DNC supporter-which is probably why the leadership behind Occupy SF has demanded and is enforcing a much more orderly gathering than the one at Wall Street. Don't want to risk collateral damage to allies.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

DNC Supporter?

According the the FEC, in the 2007-2010 period Ellison gave $26K to dems, $27K to independents, and $45K to the GOP.

Hardly a DNC poster child.

And actually pretty cheap, for a 4 year period considering his net worth.

2. Blake St. Claire
    FAIL

Poor Larry

Maybe we should give him, and all the rest of his fellow 1%ers, another tax break.

I'm sure they will create some more jobs – just like they've been doing for the last 10 years.

1. Trainee grumpy old ****
      Trollface

Re: Poor Larry

You mean he won't be able to use the 4 million as a tax write-off?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Horses!

"The two comprise 6.88 acres and include a four-bedroom, three-bathroom, colonial style house, two five-stall barns and swimming pool. The properties were bought apparently to house Ellison's horses."

But they didn't like sharing bathrooms?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"suggests the big E has a net worth of $33bn"

probably not that big of a deal, then

1. Marvin the Martian

"He has a huge amount of money invested in property" the article says.

(and then lists houses that probably come to 100-200million.)

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Poor thing

Has anyone organised a charity concert?

1. Nun of Thee Above

Re concert

Woz started work on an event for the "second homeless," but had to exclude E after the WSJ article.

7. Craigness

A bath?

Reading the subheading I thought he'd installed a $4million bathtub. I doubt he'd even notice $4million, whether it was in the bathroom or up in smoke.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Swings and roundabouts

You'd think with all that property he'd lose money on one or two, the property market is never perfectly stable (fnarr fnarr) at either end of the scale.

It's a bit of a non-story if the rest of his "property portfolio" has collectively appreciated by $50m in the same timeframe.

As others pointed out though, it's a drop in the ocean for ol' Larry even if the whole lot were to go up in uninsured smoke.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

heart bleeds

Oh dear

10. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

So Larry lost 20% of the value on SF Peninsula home he bought in 2005?

Thats at the low end of average for the last 6 years for lost home value on in SF or on the Peninsula. The fact that Woodside is pretty upscale is probably why.

Next week, El Reg writes about what Susan in Oracle Product Marketing lost selling her condo in Belmont!!

11. MD Rackham

Stop the Presses!

Another Reg scoop: Real estate has lost value in California, although it doesn't matter to the subject of the story.

While at least this time there is a (vague) IT tie-in, it sure strikes me as a "dog bites man" story.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One Rich Asshole Called Larry Ellison

13. JassMan
    IT Angle

Its all in the address

Surely he knew when he bought the place it was a turkey. And, not just any turkey but a number 1.

14. Anthony Hulse
    Happy

Aging myself...

Wasn't that the house that Katherine Wentworth killed Bobby Ewing in front of?

15. Jim Morrow
    Headmaster

kyoto, japan

thank fuck for explaining that. for a moment i thought larry had bought a house in the kyoto near middlesborough and wondered why he'd do that.

16. sayhi2yourmom4me

What a nice house, I think I'll buy it...aww the bathroom has been used? I no longer want it.

17. Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance
    Happy

Oohh, let me play too?

Oi Railly Ait Conts Loik Em

What it lacks in grammatical correctness, I hope it makes up for in small-minded bigotry.

Any day now, we shall find out that Larry's parents came from the Ol' country.

(I'm half Irish btw, I'm a Welsh man that can't swim)

Let's all sing now, to the tune of 'Riders On The Storm': Larry's dad was black, Larry's dad was black, He's never coming back, Humped whores outside the back, And emptied his ball sack.

That on reflection is too cruel. It shows the mark of a bitter man. And Larry may be many things, but he is not bitter. Then again, would you be with his fucking cash?

Nurse is coming soon - she fucking better be - I'm nearly all out!

18. joshimitsu

yes I was imagining a 22k gold tub with diamond set facets and a special version of the Top Gear V8 blender to power the whirlpool

19. Gareth

$4m out of $33bn is the equivalent of someone who has $33k losing $4. Pretty sure he's not losing any sleep over it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like