back to article Apple updates MacBook Pro laptop line

Apple has upped the specs of its three MacBook Pro models while maintaining the previous models' prices. Essentially, the upgrade involves bigger hard drives all round, plus faster CPUs, up either 100MHz or 200MHz, depending on model. The 13in MBP has a choice of Core i5 or Core i7, while the 15in and 17in models are Core i7 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. petur
    WTF?

Duh'

Since the market for disks and processors does the same thing (ie bigger model for same money), this is a nobrainer... And afaik all computer brands do this (keep price, up specs).

1. David Gosnell

Well yes...

... but none of them require their on-line shop to be taken down when it happens.

I guess it's another example of "thinking different".

2. HP Cynic

So? The article simply presents this news as news.

Until I read it I only heard the rumours the other day the MBPro was being updated so it served it's purpose: Tech News.

And no I have no intention of buying one and own no Apple products.

2. Powelly
    Mushroom

Cooling?

I hope they've improved the cooling as well. I moved from a 17" dual core 2.66 GHz i7 to a 15" quad core 2.3Ghz i7 and the latter runs much much hotter. Hope the extra hike doesn't result in even more heat - I now get audible fan noise when just watching iPlayer whereas with my old 17" machine I could count on one hand the number of times I'd heard the fan. Looking at the Apple forums, I'm not the only one with this problem on the faster processors.

On the positive side, those Sandy Bridge CPU's are like the provebial fecal matter from a gardening implement. I've never seen the CPU usage go above about 15% in Ableton Live.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iMac changes next ?

I know most have discrete graphics already - any predcitions of a refresh ?

4. Gareth Wright
    WTF?

Thanks Apple....

Only just bought the now older model beginning of this month.

Wonder if they'll do a swop?

1. Tom 38

They won't do a swap

They might give you an itunes voucher if you ask persistently enough.

2. killzone

swap

Get your ass into an apple store fast, or ring them, i know plenty of people in a similar boat who have had a direct swap, i think the cut off is 30 days or suchlike.

1. Gareth Wright
        Thumb Up

swap

Well Apple would have swopped, but as purchased through work (edu) I have to try and get our supplier to do the swop.

On the plus side I did get some itunes vouchers as an apology for the wasted time following up with Apple.

Impressed with the customer service non the less

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thanks Apple....

Depends where you bought it. A friend of mine managed to get an iMac exchanged at John Lewis after the line got a refresh, shortly after purchase.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Memory?

8GB Max, on Sandy Bridge...kinda like a Mad Max styled SuperCharged V8 in a Prius.

1. Nights_are_Long

Apple only sell it with 8GB it can support 16GB, Other world computing sell the memory.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like