Feeds

back to article Quote of the Week: 'Phone bills shouldn't cost more than the rent'

This was the week when neither rumours of a new smaller iPad nor the huge sales of the iPhone 4S were enough to stop Apple's fourth fiscal quarter earnings from dipping below estimates. Samsung and Google teamed up to launch the Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Nexus Prime along with the hotly anticipated Android OS 4.0, nicknamed Ice Cream …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

more than the rent?

don't wanna pay too much for a service? Quit using so much of it. Cell phones or power or water bills, you get charged for what you use. We're not talking about incorrect or mistake bills or fraud-we're talking about people who actually used the service they signed for and got billed accordingly.

What, your side of the pond is getting filled with entitlement weenies too?

Gold badge
FAIL

@AC 22:40

AC; do you vet each byte sent into/out of your computers? Most people don't.

People get bill shock because of things like iTunes deciding that it wants to download some TV show, finding an internet connection on your mobile or 3G dongle, and downloading it, even if you are in another country, or do not have any bandwidth left in your tariff because Windows update / Adobe updator have already downloaded 10GB this month.

Power and water are easy; you control the switches. Internet usage; that is controlled by the writers of the software, and you have little or no control over that. Oh, and if I turned on every appliance in my flat and left them on for a whole month, the cost would be much less than I could run-up on my mobile just because some app keeps trying to download something and fails.

Silver badge

@BristolBachelor

"Most people" actually pay attention to advertising.

Hopefully "most" ElReg readers have the knowledge and ability to attempt to teach "most people" why blindly listening to marketards is a bad idea ... For example, my portable telephone is just that ... a portable telephone. It has an LCD display, standard 12 button keypad with on/off switch, and that's it. It makes and receives telephone calls. Likewise, my portable computer is a computer. 1024x768 display, keyboard that I can touch-type on, etc. I have a camera with which to take pictures. My portable stereophonic gear is analog (you know, that "sound" stuff?), and thus has real speakers. Etc. I'm an old UNIX[tm] hacker ... many tools, each of which does one thing, but does that one thing perfectly.

And to answer your question, yes. I *do* vet each byte that comes into and is sent out of my computer system. That's part of what stateful firewalls are for.

Stop

"Most people" actually pay attention to advertising...

... which will tell you only the bright side of things and lets you find out the flip sides by yourself.

And your approach is sooo 90ties ;-P

I at least use a device that does everything at once (called a smartphone), and use it a lot. In the EU operators have to cap roaming costs at 50€ and send you a warning when you reach the cap. Then you have to explicitly approve additional costs and be told what they are. So no surprises possible. Only for what comes after that I would in parts agree with you.

Can we get a "medieval tech" Icon?

Silver badge

@Tree & Tree = Dirty Tree

My portable telephone might be 1990s tech, but it works in Sonoma's so-called "dead zones". Can your modern Cell Phone make that claim? The answer is that no, it can't. The transmitter & receiver aren't powerful enough. I choose not to down-grade my telephone. Likewise, I choose not to listen to marketing trying to tell me what to do.

Your phone does everything at once, but does nothing well. Not all that smart when you look at it that way, now is it?

I'd like a medieval icon ... I had the forge fired up this afternoon, showing a group of school-kids how to fix 1850s farm equipment (which I'll use to prep the fields for planting in late Winter or early Spring). Not that I ever use icons, with the rare exception of offering up a round of beer ... which is also medieval tech, in it's modern incarnation (the addition of hops, if you're wondering what I mean) ... Old tech ain't necessarily a bad thing in the great scheme of things.

Anonymous Coward

If your phone bill cost more than rent

You have a serious problem.

or

you have very cheap rent

Meh

...like the Ferrari that you keep in the garage and only take out for the big race...

I think this supposed cyberwarfare capability is more like the Ferrari that you keep on your driveway and polish frequently, making sure that everyone knows that you have it. It doesn't actually NEED to have an engine, innit?

Silver badge
Mushroom

Ferrari

Am I the only one noticing the implicit assumption that normal warfare is something you use every day for normal day to day activities? Odd world that we live in.

GJC

FAIL

No, it wasn't

"This was the week when neither rumours of a new smaller iPad nor the huge sales of the iPhone 4S were enough to stop Apple's fourth fiscal quarter earnings from dipping below estimates."

No, it wasn't. The results Apple announced were for a quarter before the 4S was on sale. 4S sales will be in the next quarter's results.

(Dumb analysis like yours is one reason I would've bought the stock at the lowest point on the day of the announcement, waited for the *next* quarter announcement - which will be freaking huge - and made a bundle, if I could stomach owning shares in Apple.)

Anonymous Coward

I miss the flames. What's it take to get someone right pissed around here?

Bronze badge

BT's Charges

My BT phone bill is not more than the rent but it is ridiculously high considering that I hardly use it except for the Broadband (which is not with BT). It is more than the electricity, gas or water bills - AND BT charge me a "Handling fee" for paying it.

The bill is mostly standing charge. For what? Say half a mile of thin 2-core cable, a master socket that cannot have cost them more than £5, power consumption in milliwatts, some signal electronics at the exchange, an a share in the common backbone of lightweight signal links.

Compare this with electricity which has heavy cables to my house, a meter that looks as if it cost at least £100, power consumption in kilowatts, a share in mighty power stations and a distribution system that is so heavy that it is a landscape feature. Yet a lower bill and lower standing charge!

BT are the only utility that actually makes me angry.

FAIL

Use the (ISP) force, Nuke

I, too, made 6 seconds of phone calls on my BT landline in the last 3 months (yes, to ring my mobile phone to locate it!), but if you use broadband on your BT line, they refuse to give you a light user rebate!

By default, they also force you on a useless plan and it wasn't until I phoned them up (from work :-) ) that they actually admitted that you can pay a year's worth of line rental up front for 120 quid a year (10 quid a month) - I've never had any letter about that deal - but they didn't say anything about not being on any pointless plan though.

In the end, I switched to my ISP's 10 quid a month plan for a landline and I suspect that'll save at least 5-10 quid a month compared to BT.

Silver badge

What the world needs ...

Along with Reading, Writing & Arithmetic, the fine art of "debunking official commentary" should be taught in grade school. My Grand Parents are long-gone, but I thank them daily for helping me develop the skill.

This topic is closed for new posts.