The trial date for the Oracle versus Google patent battle has been postponed, as expected, and may get a new judge. Judge William Alsup announced that an unrelated criminal trial he had previously thought might push back the date for Oracle to make its case against the Chocolate Factory would indeed delay the IP punch-up. The …
A judge sits on both criminal and civil cases?
I don't understand - I thought the USA inherited the UK form of law.
They did in the sense of having common law, but not in all the details. Even in the UK though, High court judges can also hear cases in Crown court.
minor delay compared to what's coming
Nice to see the lawyers that created endless delays in the SCO vs the World cases on the receiving end of unwanted delay. Around 8 years and still counting ;)
This delay isn't significant, apart from giving the court another opportunity to push them into further settlement negotiations. Whatever the decision, Oracle, Google or *both* will automatically appeal the ruling, guaranteeing at least 6-9months delay even if the appeal is fast tracked - more likely 18months. With a case this complex that's likely to be just the 1st of several appeals or other attempts to keep the case alive. No enforcement will happen while that's ongoing.
Android will get plenty of time to evolve past Oracles grasp however this works out.
Apple's trolling were also posponed for real crimes as well.
- YARR! Pirates walk the plank: DMCA magnets sink in Google results
- Pics Whisper tracks its users. So we tracked down its LA office. This is what happened next
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- OnePlus One cut-price Android phone on sale to all... for 1 HOUR
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know