back to article Gartner predicts global double-dip recession

Analysts at Gartner are prophesying a global double-dip recession that will test the mettle of corporate CIOs and squeeze budgets, but predict that businesses will continue to invest in IT. "The second recession is about to hit," Peter Sondergaard, senior veep for research at Gartner told an audience of around 8,500 industry …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Volker Hett

As globals as the World Series?

Or does it include the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) and other insignificant regions like Europe?

2. The Cube
    FAIL

Fork me, did his trousers muffle his voice?

(that is did his pants hinder him talking out of his ass for Americans)

"Information is the oil of the 21st century"

No, it isn't you muppet, oil is the oil of the 21st century because you cannot substitute either information or money for energy, no matter how much the EU and US central banks and finance ministers might want to pretend that is true.

You might say that gas or coal or nuclear (that is nu-killer for Americans) are the oil of the 21st century, you might even say that wind (mostly caused by fatuous Gartner pronouncements) or solar are the oil of the 21st century because they are sources of energy upon which our ability to acquire, store and process information depends.

But then anyone who listens to Gartner gets what they deserve, they probably have shares in a cold fusion company which is "12 months from commercial production" and have religious books written by a bad science fiction writer on the shelf in their L Ron Cupboard....

1. Charles Manning

Globalisation depends on oil

As you point out, there is really no substitute for oil. Oil provides the very low cost transport that makes globalisation possible. No matter how many fibre cables you put between China and USA, the goods still have to come via ship.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Meh

Water is wet etc.

"Analysts at Gartner are prophesying a global double-dip recession that will test the mettle of corporate CIOs and squeeze budgets, but predict that businesses will continue to invest in IT."

I nearly broke my leg slipping on the consultancy snake oil.

"The second recession is about to hit,"

Yeah well it's the SAME RECESSION genius. It's happened before. As in the continuous recession-with-interventionist-nightmare going uninterrupted from Hoover to FDR (except that FDR had better public relations so he is fêted as 'great' instead of the amoral scumbag that he was). It's happening again. China is next up for big problems. Surprised? I'm not.

4. 2metoo
    Facepalm

Buzzword

Bingo!

Yet another oxygen thief using too much of it. Still I'm assuming he is trying to inflate another bubble.

That is all.

5. Oninoshiko

How come every time i hear something from garner,

I can't shake the impression they are trying to sell me on something?

The first song to pop in my head, was a little ditty by ELP:

"There behind the glass, is a real blade of grass, be careful as you pass, move along, move along"

6. Cyberian

Gartner, Credit Rating And Other Agencies

Who needs a credit rating agency if they don't need credit...

When is some non-corrupt politician going to wake up and shut the damn b***ards from spreading FUD - we will all make it through, and the system has suffocated itself... Nuf said.

In OURSELVES we trust!

(and Linux :-D)

7. Tom 13

There can't be a second recession

until after the first one ends. Seems pretty straight forward to me, but for some reasons the so called experts keep missing it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like