back to article Sony Ericsson stems losses with smartphone sales

Sony Ericsson had a good third quarter, turning in a respectable profit on higher-margin smartphones, but won't comment on the rumours that Sony is looking to buy out the partnership. The last three months weren't as good as the same period last year: SE only turned in a pre-tax profit of €31m (£27m) compared to €62m (£54m) in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Unhappy

doesn't thelp

when they turn out Smart Phones 4 months late with no explanation!

A respectable profit?

31million euros? Huh?

That's not a respectable profit, that's a flatline, continuing S-E's status as a zombie firm. HTC is making a respectable profit, Samsung's mobile division is making a respectable profit - even RIM is making a respectable profit.

Alien

SE need to start fixing their build quality before they'll start seeing real profits. I was a long term SE user but now I won't touch them with a barge pole due to a major design flaw that they insist is caused by users pushing the charging cables into the phone too vigorously. As a result I now have a phone which can only be charged using an external charger. Which is a shame as historically they've always had the best cameraphones available (my old K800i is still the best camera I've ever had, picture quality was as good if not better than most stand alone cameras, never mind camera phones when it came out).

Facepalm

They've believed their own hype

To focus on only SmartPhones is nuts. Once the novelty wears off, lots of users will go back to the simple camera phone plus a tablet, and SE will have nothing to offer in either space. My C902 is brilliant - long batter life and it fits in my pocket. It's only18months old and to replace it I'm having to buy Nokia to go with my tablet. Only Nokia recognise that market still exists.

Many older users change their phone less often and don't want complex phones, so what will SE have for them in the year to come?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums