back to article The exaggerated “death of text”

It’s time to put to bed the idea that SMS costs millions per Gigabyte – a game I have played in the past, along with many others – now that every major mobile carrier in Australia has plans with text allowances stretching all the way up to “unlimited”. This week has seen a burst of stories proclaiming the death of SMS – in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Time to put to bed the idea of millions per gigabyte?

I don't think so, not just yet. I, on a contract, just paid €0,28 for a text from France to the UK. I'll let you do the maths...

Anonymous Coward

The death of text as a revenue stream perhaps?

So text is still used, but it has had it's price pushed down to almost zero. As it should be.

The mobile companies plans are mostly baloney doubletalk. Telstra have their own definition of money. A $49 plan monthly plan gives you $550 call credit per month - and that's their base monthly plan on a BYO phone basis as far as I can tell.

On PAYG you're looking at $1.27 for a 31-59 second call (to mobile or landline) and $0.25 per sms (that's national, not international). Ages ago I went pre-pay and bought $10 credit. It appears I didn't use it fast enough for their liking - they cut me off and kept the cash.

Their $30 plan gives you $25 of calls and $5 of data - that's a whopping 2.5Mb of data. Yes, that is two and a half megabytes, not gigabytes. I make that $2000 per gigabyte for the unwary.

Other fun items include the "Freedom connect" plans which have a two-year lock-in.

They make me so angry!

Trollface

Translation: We can't make money out of it...

So we'll kill it in favour of something with which we can....

Text revenue

If you're paying for 500 texts a month then start sending half of them through free internet apps then that's a win for the carrier, they're taking half the load with the same revenue. It's often still necessary to use normal SMS for people who aren't on such an internet based service or for relatives (parents for example) who don't even have a smart device.

While wifi is often used for these services remember also that when you're not at home or in a cafe/pub with free wifi, not these places that charge you for it like most seem to, you'll be paying data charges. Admittedly the data cost for a text message won't be high but if your device is constantly connected to the servers, necessary if you want to actually receive messages, then that will creep up. Same principle with push-based email.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums