back to article ViewSonic intros tablet sized to strike at iPad

ViewSonic is taking aim right at the iPad - and would-be HP TouchPad owners - with a tablet sporting a 9.7in, 4:3 ratio IPS LCD screen. And, yes, like those fondleslabs this one, the ViewPad 10e, has a 1024 x 768 resolution - the best, we think, for folk who regularly switch from portrait to landscape and back again. ViewSonic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
WTF?

4:4 ratio screen?

That would make it a square wouldn't it? Come on guys, try harder.

I think it will have to retail at £200 if it want to be a big success.

jai
Silver badge

yes, it'll need to be around that price to be a success. but chances are, it won't be.

but

With it looking so much like an ipad i'm sure someone will think they can fence it for ipad monies.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Gingerbread

Pretty poor decision but kinda understandable - I don't think Viewsonic are one of Google's "Honeycomb" partners (they mainly rebrand third party tablets) and Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) isn't out yet.

If I were Viewsonic I would have guaranteed an upgrade to ICS when it is open-sourced.

Bet the tablet isn't cheap either.

Anonymous Coward

Well

It's hardly a poor decision if they have no other option, is it?

They can't provide Honeycomb. Ice cream sandwich doesn't yet exist.

What decision have they made?

Happy

paper thin

well it's a Sunday paper, doh!

Alert

Oh no, it's got round corners

The Apple lawyers will be in contact...

And 4:3 so it's a certainty !

Paris Hilton

Good for the accessories market

Hopefully it'll be a similar enough size to an iPad that it can use iPad accessories - about the only gripe I have with my Advent Vega (apart from the viewing angle, but for £200 you can't grumble too much) is that its funky dimensions make finding a decent case a real struggle.

Paris, because.

Thumb Up

SPB Shell 3D

looks like it is running this excellent 3rd party launcher - have Viewsonic licensed it? If so good choice. Looks flash and works rather well too.

If it's 200-250 quid it's a right bargain.

Thumb Up

At last! We finally have an iPad competitor on the market.

Yes, at last!!! We finally have an iPad competitor on the market. 4:3 aspect ratio AND an SD card slot to differentiate it.

My only complaint is that it's not a full sized SD slot, so I'll be forced to buy an expensive microSD card and adapter for my digital camera.

With the wide viewing angles as well as the 4:3 aspect ratio, digital photographers finally have something to replace the photo album or packet of photos that we used to hand round to friends.

Silver badge

Expensive?

http://www.ebuyer.com/147731-kingston-8gb-class-4-microsdhc-card-with-adapter-sdc4-8gb

8GB for £8.55 including adapter. A full size SD card would be £7.98. So 56p more expensive.

Stop

Expensive??

"expensive microSD card and adapter.."

You can get a 16Gb microSD card and adapter for under £15 nowadays. Adapters are about a quid and cards start at <£4 for 4Gb. Is it really THAT expensive??

Yeah, me too!

I bought an 8gb micro, WITH full size adapter for $8.99 on Friday, needed it for the new digital camera i'd bought, and I only buy micros now. That way they can go in my phones (all micro) or the digital vidcamera I already had (SD), and I wasn't sure if this was maxi or micro.

gotta love the flash media bins at the checkout at Microcenter...

Anonymous Coward

£200 I agree

that'd make it a good contender...

Anonymous Coward

The design of it is a little bulky for my tastes however from the pictures its user interface looks a lot better than Apple's iOS. Just my opinion.

Doesn't look like it will be £200 if this is the same tablet

http://store.viewsonic.com/html/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?section=26110&item=3844686

Another part of the Viewsonic web site says that the tablet comes with both Win7 and Android

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums