back to article RIM BlackBerry Torch 9810

The Torch 9810 is the second of RIM’s recent hat-trick of BlackBerry devices to hit the shelves. Indeed, you might have heard there are five, but currently only three models will be made available in the UK. RIM BlackBerry Torch 9810 smartphone Shining examples? RIM's BlackBerry Torch 9810 The Bold 9900 was a straight-up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Calthrop

awesome timing!

2. Peter Gordon
    Thumb Up

Hmm...

Blackberry's recend ads push "Touch. Type. Together", which is what the Palm Pre and its successors did well.

The playbook, and likely BB's future QNX based phones, have a copy of webOS's cards.

And here, they're launching a portrait slider.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, the original Palm/webOS team should be feeling very flattered ;-)

3. Brian Griffiths
    Facepalm

"may well win RIM some new friends along the way"

today they need all the friends they can get

"upcoming Torch 9860"

eh?? I've had mine a week already; just outside my "cooling off" period for sending it back

4. Dave 15

Annoying 'feature'

Have you tried to enter a password on one of these? Unlike with most mobiles you never get to view what you actually typed - not even for a couple of seconds. I can assure you - however 'easy' this keyboard might be according to the sales literature it will take on average 5 attempts to enter any even vaguely tricky password.

I've also had it tell me corporate emails are sent only to find they got sent 'en masse' several days later.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

BB's New Feature

Sometimes ON Email....

Come on RIM, you realy have to do better or is this all a ploy to get bought by MS?

6. Anton Geijsendorpher
    Thumb Down

Not even if I got one for free!

I have an original torch and curse it every day.

EVERY DAY - MULTIPLE TIMES!

The OS is slow, buggy and freezes consistently (then takes 5min to start up again), the battery life is atrocious (Wi-Fi/BT = off and data set to 2G only) + the touch screen is a pain!

Getting shafted by RIM for not providing the upgrade to OS 6.1 - oh sorry; OS 7.0 was the nail in the coffin for me - I will not consider another BB, even if i get it for free from work. (in which case my 3rd year old will have a new toy ;-)

Our BB users (most of them on their 3rd of 4th unit) have all had complaints/problems the last few months (current disaster not counting) - this once loyal user base is diminishing fast.

Most of our clients have moved over to iPhone's and a select few to Android based devices.

Surprisingly they are generally very happy with their phones and features and rarely complain.

With Symbian out of the picture and Nokia going Windows mobile (oh dear....) it will soon be a 2 horse race in the smart-phone arena!

1. bazza Silver badge

@Anton Geijsendorpher: different to mine

I've an original Torch (my first ever BB), and have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. It's never frozen, there's been no apparent bugs, the battery lasts very well and I certainly wouldn't say it was slow.

This isn't a network provider 'customisation' issue is it? I'm on Three in the UK, who don't seem to have messed with it too much. I don't know what the other networks do with BB.

I hate the way the networks feel the need to mess around with the software in phones. It creates massive problems for end users, amply demonstrated by the way that Android phones never seem to get updated.

7. Neil Milner-Harris

"upcoming Torch 9860"??

I've had one for nearly six weeks?

8. s. pam Silver badge
    FAIL

What a fetid P.O.S. it truly is

I've had one recently and when I quit swearing at it I can swear at RIM for the job they've done with this fecal done.

It is past useless with a horribly inconsistently behaving OS, it will work for days, then not for minutes to hours.

My favourite is I try to dial an international number, E.G. +1 415 555 1212 an it will decide with NO warning to call 01415 555 1212 and I get to annoy someone when least expecting it.

Given this week's RIM Job of how not to run a data service, I'm clicking on my company webpages right now to order an iPhone 4s.

I've had enough of this carp platform, and OS.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They have some of us by the short and curly bits

unless the i-whatevers find a way for us to record them, the impending FSA regulations will leave BB as the only contender in the trading markets.

all voice and data communications with clients MUST be recorded

Annon as I bet the outside world and his wife have an answer, but it will possibly not meet FSA compliancy rules

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Teleware

This may work http://www.teleware.com/solutions/fsa-compliance/

Not tried it though.

10. Turtle_Fan

BB was good... once!

There was a time when BB's were the dogs bits.

This though stopped sometime in the last 3 or so years. The devices are woefully underpowered whether you look at cpu's, memory, storage, you name it. I have never had the error message "We will close your browser page because it is too big to load" on any other device.

Granted, the email thing works even at sliver of signal and the keyboard's fine. But, even in this day and age, BB cannot be configured as a mifi. Why? Why should I splash out on sim cards and data plans when my current plan could cover all my devices?

Needless to say, I threw my BB Bold out the window and preferred to pay myself for an HTC Desire.

Why RIM? Why are you so blind?

Just being an IT control freak's wet dream just won't cut it anymore....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like