Feeds

back to article iOS update woes prompt gnashing of teeth for Apple fans

Apple released the much-anticipated iOS 5 update for iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches on Wednesday, an update that was almost immediately met with error messages by throngs of users trying to download it from the company's servers. The errors, according to accounts on Apple support pages and this Cult of Mac report, carried …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

YES! Apple AND Blackberry Crumble!!!

...may I be the 245th person to point this out.

Silver badge
WTF?

What Idiot Downvoted this?

Hmmm, Apple and Blackberry Crumble, pass the cream, thanks.

Some of you downvoting 'tards need to get yourselves a sense of humour FFS

Silver badge

@Goat Jam

There are some humourless twats on here.

Anonymous Coward

Asking too much

iTards don't have a sense of humor.

Silver badge

Hehe

7 downvotes and counting.

It seems some of you downvotards *do* have a sense of humour after all!

Anonymous Coward

I would like to go on record

as an upvoter of both posts.

I think the OP downvoters may be knee-jerking fanboi's who, unfamiliar with important desserts of this millennia, mistook the post for some kind of hate against their particular love object(s). Perhaps a serving of crumble will cool their fevered brows?

FAIL

I think it's more that I've heard that gag at least a million times on Facebook and Twitter.....although obviously not on my Blackberry.

Anonymous Coward

Apple status:

Butthurt, mad and TOLD, as usual.

Joke

@ AC 07:55

"iTards don't have a sense of humor."

Apple retains ownership of it when you agree to the license to use the device.

Silver badge
Happy

It just wor #$%FC~+-)8TI&*(YG no carrier

Unless

They don't have a sense of humor unless Apple tells them they have a sense of humor. In white.

Anonymous Coward

For the amount of changes going on - new iTunes, new OSX, new iOS, MobileMe to iCloud transition, thousands of app (and a few OSX application) updates - it hasn't actually been going that bad for me. Just a bit slow.

No errors yet. Knock on wood.

Anonymous Coward

Slowwwww

After updating Lion after not turning the MBP on for 2 weeks, it is sooooo slow now.

FAIL

PMSL

Mushroom

Incontinence pants

I recommend them if you're prone to losing bladder control that easily.

7 attempts to update a iPhone 3gs

9 attempts to update an iPad

15+ and counting attempts for an iPhone 4

At what point did Apple think they wouldn't be hammered ?

Anonymous Coward

@Tony

Worked first time for me.

No issues whatsoever.

iPhone 4 now runs quicker, with even fewer slowdowns. Lots of app updates have also been released today too.

If it keeps failing, why not give it a break for a few hours... days... certainly wouldn't be worth moaning about it now would it?

Anonymous Coward

How many updates do MS serve up at once?

Do MS ever strugglw to dish out the millions of updates they offer to all the different OSes and Apps that use Windows Update?

Just wondering, as it never fails for me.

Anonymous Coward

It does struggle sometimes

Plus it's not often that Microsoft moves their datacentre like Apple is doing

Happy

datacenter moves? seriously?

thats crazy talk. that or they are terrible at planning.

i mean you don't do major works before a major release, why ever would you?

and Microsoft have a lot of experience dealing with update services. After all their schedule coined the phrase patch Tuesday. Heck I've seen companies plan releases around patch Tuesday for the sake of the tech staff their customers have, and I've seen another company freeze out all changes because bad weather was expected in the next 48 hours, planning isn't hard.

Overall a weak excuse, if its true then i imagine MS put more planning in a quiet patch Tuesday than Apple put into a major iOS release, let alone comparing MS releasing a service pack :p

Silver badge
Thumb Up

8 updates yesterday

Last night, after I finished reading all the itards tweeting about how wonderful Apple is for updating their software and how it took them ever so long to download, Windows told me that it was installing 8 updates, which it must have downloaded silently whilst I browsed the web. I brushed my teeth whilst it finished and didn't feel the need to tweet about it.

Another twitter topic of the itards was their new "imessenger" (they were downloading an app released a few years ago, thinking it was the new imessage service). They were all thrilled with it, and many were gloating that BBM went down on the same day apple released imessenger (BBM went down 2 days before and Apple didn't release imessenger, but these are iphone users, not intelligent folk). I didn't look for tweets from BBM users gloating up until this week that they have a messenger service whereas iphone users did not, but surely those tweets must be there?! It's weird how iphone users think their phone is the best whilst it lacks basic features and then gloat when it catches up. It's like they're total morons or something.

Anonymous Coward

Obvious trolls..

are obvious.

At what point did Tony Murphy think that Apple wouldn't be hammered and decide to try again the next day?

Evidently, it was 31+ attempts later.

Gold badge

But they trickle along in the background while you're not looking. Not all at one on a particular day.

Facepalm

One to remember...

Last tethered update.

Apple obviously want to have such a performance gap between the bad tethered and the new shiny iOS5 OTA updates....

Either that or they want you to get a iPhone4S with it pre-installed....

FAIL

This wasn't my issue...

...downloaded just fine, but took over an hour to do it's thing.

Only for it to fail on the restore, and I'm almost left with a paperweight. Back to factory defaults for me...

Sorry apple - loyal fan an' all that - but see icon...

Ditto

This just happened to me as well. Possibly not the most sensible move but I'm in a hotel on training and my phone is my only alarm.

8am start tomorrow and so far a bricked phone - woo hoo

Even the restore feature doesn't appear to work.

Anonymous Coward

LMAO!

Sorry, shouldn't laugh... But...

Facepalm

Surely you mean "in a run-down ill-managed motel/hostel in a very unpleasant part of town"?

Any hotel even remotely deserving of the name has a reception desk more than happy to give you a wake-up call at any time...

Never mind that pretty much all TVs in hotel/motel-rooms have some form of alarm built in.

Alien

Started at 6pm or thereabouts

and just unplugged my ipad now, 11pm. It only failed once, I just left it until after nine, tried again and it worked - better restore than the last few updates too, all the ebooks, mp3's and mags (ok, ecomics), I drag n dropped from various were put back as were my photo's, fairly impressed.

I'm surprised Apple weren't more prepared for the obvious onslaught that was going to happen, esp. with all the verifications the updates seemed to do. Going to play with it now...

Happy

Patience is a virtue

When everyone hits the servers all at once, it goes slow and sometimes fails. What's new???. Just wait a bit for the rush to dies down. BTW my IPAD update was slow then failed then I restarted , restored and it worked just fine the second time.

Anonymous Coward

To save on distribution bandwidth requirements

couldn't they just have used Bittorrent? I mean I know it's not Apple's "thing" to have users communicating through non-Apple channels- or to even to hand the reins to anyone else- but surely it'd make a lot more sense to seed it for a few thousand people and host a tracker than trying to feed this frenzy?

Anonymous Coward

Or...

A staged roll out a la MS' phone updates, that way they'd also catch failures they'd failed to see during testing.

Thumb Up

Yes they absolutely should use BitTorrent.

After being told by iTunes that it was going to take 3+ hours to download on my 20Mb connection I immediately cancelled it and Googled for a torrent of the golden master instead. Didn't take long to find. 2000+ seeds, 6 minutes, a CTRL + Restore button push later and I was good to go.

Still took about 7 restore attempts to finally get Apple to verify the image, though.

Bronze badge
FAIL

Doh. What did you expect?

Seriously, I am a relatively satisfied Apple customer.

But, unless you really fancy beta testing, you really have to be deep into the kool-aid to trust them enough to install an OS update right as it comes out.

I waited, and am still waiting, till Lion stabilizes. I suppose I'll pass on the iOS 5x goodies for a while. Let it mature.

I just don't trust any software provider enough to do otherwise. Apple is really no different.

Megaphone

Smooth as silk (though slow)

No problems here, first time, no worries. Only trending on Twitter because of retweets #selfpertuatingfallacy.

Anonymous Coward

RE: Smooth as silk (though slow)

Worked perfectly for me. Said it might take 10 mins to download (it took less) and no problems since then...

Thumb Up

15 minute download

After the download I got the 3200 error so I disabled my antivirus and windows firewall.. iOS5 went on straight away..

Music and videos restored first time.. I'm reasonably happy.

Silver badge

A GHOST

In the machine!

Angel

Graunch, grind smash

Well - all things considered, 3 hours and much swearing later - restore completed successfully.

What really worries me is that the first restore bombed out without an error (and didn't allow any apps to launch) 2nd restore failed, but I could run up apps and check email (but music wouldn't sync) 3rd restore failed, but couldn't launch apps - but did have music! 4th restore succeeded, music is all there - and some apps don't work (but those same apps did work after the 2nd restore)

At least when other OS's decide to crap out, they do it in style, and tell you what you did to piss them off!

^Steve is looking down at us and laughing with glee ;)

Bronze badge

It's because....

A) the updates are Ginormous, 750MB for iOS alone.

B) it's not staggered by timezone, system updates for example are usually scheduled to run at a fixed local time.

C) Users have been waiting for this for a long time and lots of them hit the button as soon as it went live.

Updated an iPad, took two goes, iPhone will have to wait till morning as the missis is threatening to yank the mains so she can sleep.

Mushroom

Epic Fail

I started the download. The servers were so busy I was getting 2 KB/sec. Yes that is a two. Sometimes a 1.8 with an expected download time of twenty-nine hours.

i will keep checking El Reg to see when it is safe to start the download again.

hmm

how many android users will be getting ICS on the day it launches? Apple crumble tastes just fine to me, though I'm one of the faceless masses who updated without incident, and installed Lion without problems.

Bronze badge

@cloudgazer

The ones who have their Android directly from Google will have it on day one as well. It is just that the Android platform offers choice (Apple fans don't know the meaning of the word except when choosing fart apps), and as such, many vendors of hardware have to port the changes to their devices...

Alternatively, Google could release ICS to manufacturers a month ahead and set a launch day. You as user would never know...

Thumb Down

@ Petur

I'm interested to know how Apple fans don't have a choice? They most certainly do, at the platform and the application level.

They *chose* iphone over other phones; but just because Apple has only 2 models is that deemed a restriction? So be it - look at all the other manufacturers then, FFS. Nobody put a gun to their heads to choose Apple. The phone itself is just a platform at the end of the day.

You also don't *have* to update to the latest IOS either - nobody is forcing you. You want to "choose" to stay on the old version? Knock yourself out.

You want to view/read/listen to your own media on an IOS device? You can. You want to by content elsewhere and upload to the IOS device? Guess what - you can. I don't see a restriction of "choice" there either.

There's also a player for practically every media type in the universe, barring flash - and if you *really* want flash (and it appears not many are that bothered, going by iphones sales figures)? Move to f*ing android then - see holding-gun-to-head statement above. So there's no lock-in there either.

Seriously - this whole Apple lock-in crap is getting really old. You should maybe focus on the issue of content DRM, which is common to both platforms, if that's what you mean by "choice".

Bronze badge

lol

if you consider choosing between the current and previous model al choice, so be it.

if you consider choosing between the latest and previous OS version a choice, so be it.

I pity your choices, though....

Silver badge

Apple = choice

Within the cult of apple there is always a choice. Even when the choice is "buy the latest kit or feck off" there is still a choice

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/may/21/apple-upgrades-itunes-version

FAIL

@Silverburn

while sales of the iPhoney may be higher that the sales of any individual brand of 'droid devices, the TOTAL sales for 'droid devices is higher than iOS devices.

Anonymous Coward

@Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

Actually, if you're including iOS devices then I suspect that's not the case.

However, if we just look at phone handsets (which I think you meant) two-thirds of the mobile phone industry for the last quarter went to Apple - that's not just smartphones, but all mobile phone handsets. Marketshare isn’t everything.

Bronze badge
Flame

@Lol of the Petur persuasion

I suppose the only valid choice is to follow your choice, neh?

News to you - it's a big ol techy world out there. You can choose from Android, Rim, M$, Nokia. And, yes, Apple. In full fledged computers you have Windows, Linux, BSDs. And Apple.

I don't mind Android at all and think competition is great. And, for the record, the Apple Samsung tablet suits are a bad joke from Apple.

Is everything Apple does absolutely to my liking? By no means.

My Apple lock-in is by design fairly limited - I've bought a few games iOS apps for the kids and 1 pricier boating gps app for my kayak. Still, only down for about $80 max - the price of 2 PC games. I don't buy from iTunes, specifically due to AAC lock-in - I prefer to rip MP3s, no platform restrictions, no DRM. Most of my laptops's programs are open source dev stuff.

HW lock-in isn't a big deal on laptops from my perspective - only really interesting thing is RAM and HDD and those are easily swapped.

When there is something _I_, and not necessarily the right honorable Petur the Great, perceive as more appropriate to _my_ needs and whimsies, then I will choose again and won't necessarily be Apple. I've changed platforms before.

Izzat alright by you, my dear Petur? Do I have your permission to make my choices? Or will you insist on calling me an iTard and cite fart apps, because that shows your rapier wit and big IT street cred?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.