Feeds

back to article Pay to watch free stuff on Xbox 360

There are many characteristics about Australia that people from other countries don’t get: dangerous animals, a big empty country, political angst over an economy that stubbornly fails to plunge into recession, and so on. But two I’d like to single out here are TV and the Internet. Unlike much of the world, we remain stubbornly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Boffin

Much the same over the ditch

In New Zealand, I can watch TVNZ On Demand on my PS3, but I still don't really get the point - it potentially eats up my 30GB cap for an average quality and limited selection of content.

With a computer attached to the TV (and I generally have a laptop plugged in) I can add the TV3/TV4 versions of catch up viewing. I presume Prime has some version of the same but showing the weakness of fragmented brand names, I don't know if they do or what it is called without Googling for it.

In the end, if I have missed a program I want to catch up on, its easier to grab the series from a torrent & then play it in my own time.

Would be happy to pay content owners (or watch some advertising) to get a decent selection of HD(ish) content to download as/when required, but dispite all the complaints about piracy (and new restrictive copyright laws) , the content providers still don't seem to be able to provide the obviously solution and allow us to purchase video other than on dead media, months after we could get it on pirate sites.

There's a reason I avoid iView even from my PC

I'm not going to waste my download cap on something I can record from the air for free. There are times when I've missed the recording of something, or since deleted it, and want to watch it again, but if I can, I will just record it off the air.

I don't have an inherent problem with download caps, so long as they are realistic, although I'd like to see more ISPs offering uncounted data for peered networks.

don't blame the isps

peering was once 'free' traffic, as in not counted to the quota

then people ramped up using the free quota (hey i once had an ftp account on a magical box in free quota land, the month before they turned off free quota i tried to run jobs 24/7 - grabbed ~300gb that month on a 1536kbit dsl line :)

as the usage rose, the backhaul traffic costs rose, since most isp's were/(are still) predominately using telstra DSLAMs in the exchange and telstra fibre to move the data from the dslams, these links of course billed at some wholesale rate... just because the isp and a particular network have a peering agreement doesn't mean its free to move the bytes around

i'm hoping the nbn will fix this, i hope that flat rates will exist for links into the network, but i see already with the planned 100+ ingress points (can't recall their fancy name atm) i can see a handful of players will have backhaul fibre from them to the main data center areas and it will allow the per byte billing agreements to flourish :/

also, i know abc's iview is 'free' for iinet customers at least :p

Pirate

I Know where I will be going mateys !

Facepalm

Errr....

...just a shame the movie/TV program will use the same amount of your download cap, whether it's pirate or legit.

"so I guess that free membership won't count"

I wouldn't be so sure. Here in Blighty, the Beeb wouldn't allow Microsoft to put iPlayer on the 360 for a long time due to the subscription model. MS refused to allow it without a paid XBL Gold subscription and the BBC refuse to allow them to charge for the content. Microsoft have relented on that one though and the TV service (iPlayer plus a number of others) is reportedly coming to non-paying members at Christmas.

Silver badge
FAIL

You havn't factored in.

the sheer stupidity of Xbox owners, who are paying hundreds of pounds over the life of the console for Xbox Live to play online and actually believe Microsoft when they say it's worth every penny because it's better than the competition...

Anonymous Coward

lol, anon/icon censorship now? "Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon"

this article is spot on, but i dont have an xbox, nor need one, a m8 goes on and on about his though, but like i say, i like my pc for game's and i'll never want to watch tv through an xbox due to not wanting to watch it on my actual tv, and as such happily haven't paid tv tax for 3 yrs now.

i dont care for sport, movies i can wait for or borrow the dvd, as for tv, i use a winning combo of automated torrents and sickbeard, which when complete dumps it on my 3tb nas for later viewing on media player classic home cinema, and 90-95% of it is US, because j ross wasn't worth however many millions he was getting, and i was sick to death of soap's, and for all those ignorant folks who simply say "don't like it don't watch, thats not really choice is it, i prefer my more sensible option of don't like it don't pay to watch it!

it must be obvious to the boss of the beeb long ago that people are sick of his shite, after all, their are less people paying for it, and suddenly the bbc seems intent on shoving it at you any bloody way they can, it wouldnt surprise me if in a year or so you wont be able to buy a tv or console without it being i-playerified and (you must have a license to use this console/tv due to it having iplayer), so much for bloody choice!!

This topic is closed for new posts.