back to article Ten reasons why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 5

Here we are again on iPhone day, and once more the world waits on the edge of its seat to see what the fruitchomp masterminds of Cupertino have in store. We'll tell you what they've got in store - and none of it's good. Without further ado, here are ten points you should ponder before you even think of buying a new iPhone 5. 1 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Pure tosh

"If you compare an iPhone to another machine which contains similar hardware, it is hugely more expensive."

Really? Samsung Galaxy II? HTC Desire S?

Anonymous Coward

Not tosh

Really! £100 + (£15PCM * 24 months) = £460 for my Galaxy S II. I reckon' an iPhone 5 will set you back around £35PCM (for a savvy buyer) at a guess, over 24 months that's £840. Those figures based on 200 minutes/unlimited texts + 500MB data.

FAIL

Completely true

Even if you buy Samsung or HTC phones upon release they're $100 cheaper than old iPhones. Buying a new iPhone will cost at least another $100 - more if you want it unlocked.

Most droids price at around $200 with a two year contract. Most iPhones are priced at $300 under the same terms and almost every feature is worse. If having a phone that has access to iTunes but can't properly browse websites created after 1995, swap a dead battery or add more storage is for you, fine. Personally I prefer a smartphone with a full-size screen, a decent feature set and the ability to stay connected to a phone call for that kind of money.

FAIL

Strange.

Comparing _subsidised_ prices is pointless: all sorts of factors enter into the equation.

I bought my iPhone 4 because it was – by far – the _cheapest_ smartphone on offer (that didn't have a shit resistive, 320x400 screen). I was actually planning to buy an HTC model, but it was fully €150 _more_ expensive.

Of course, Italian operators don't do subsidies much. And phones here are rarely locked either.

(France has a similar market: phones _must_ be unlocked there. It's the law. Or it was when I was working there over a year ago.)

Not everyone lives in the US. Or the UK.

Anonymous Coward

@Sean Baggaley 1

> Not everyone lives in the US. Or the UK.

Do you notice the address of this site is www.theregister.co.*UK* ?

It's perfectly fine for someone to assume UK, just as it would be to assume italy if the site was .it

FAIL

You fail at Internet... FOREVER

Do you know the last time i took the site extension into account? Never. Heck unless i am looking to buy something i don't even care about the language. The internet is about connection on a WORLD level, it should not matter if you are in USA, Italy, UK, Venezuela or freaking Somalia.

Anonymous Coward

Re: You fail at Internet... FOREVER

Actually, you fail forever.

How many US based sites have a .co.uk address ?

Silver badge

RE: You fail at Internet... FOREVER

"Do you know the last time i took the site extension into account? Never."

Really? Your online shopping experience must be a whole world of wonder (literally). When will it arrive? *Will* it arrive? And how much did I pay for postage!!?

Unhappy

Sour grapes?

Or trolltastic?

Silver badge

Embracing the adversarial system?

You wouldn't expect an article entitled "Ten reasons why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 5" to be a balanced summary. In fact you would expect it explicitly not to include any arguments in favour whatsoever. It's just a summary of the arguments in favour of a viewpoint; the conclusion precedes the discussion.

Obviously I'm confident that the opposing case will be forthcoming. Our favourite irreverent technical publication wouldn't descend to taking sides, surely?

Silver badge

Yes it's trolling

But most of the points are entirely valid.

@ThomH

Is that a request?

Bronze badge

"Poncey". I laughed when i saw that, and looked it up, and laughed even more when I saw:

"Pompous tosser", hehehehehe.... LP/UK humor is more lively than US humor, I'll say!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poncey

"The actions of a pompous tosser who thinks their value is higher than it is actually worth. The actions of one who thinks they are either overly stylish, cool or smart etc,... "

Joke

Er poncey has a whole variety of meanings including someone who looks after game birds. UK humour beats the crap out of anything from the US. However game birds do tend to reduce tossers.

In this case poncey means more style than substance.

wow - somebody is really bitter.

and...

...you become a sheep...

Anonymous Coward

And it's popcorn time now yes?

Silver badge
Trollface

See icon

This is just a fanboi troll, isn't it?

Let the games commence!

Anonymous Coward

But of course..

And of the highest order, El Reg, I salute you. What makes it even better is that all ten points are true (although number 6 is a little unfair)

Gimp

Battery an issue? Er, no.

If I tried to count the number of times I've run out of iPhone battery on my fingers, well, I'd fail to do so, as the current count is zero. It's never happened. I put it on to charge every night, and it runs perfectly well all day.

If I anticipate needing longer than a day's worth of battery, I bring an external charger pack and plug it in at the opportune moment. This is far more convenient than trying to faff about swapping a battery.

Also, it's a bit rich to critique battery life, it being an area that Android devices suffer greatly in, so I've been told.

There is nothing inconvenient about swapping a battery. Hold on a sec.

DONE

Carrying a large external charger about with you however is extremely inconvenient when compared with carrying an additional streamlined battery.

I just came back from hiking 92 miles, I brought along an additional PHAT battery which weighed a few ounces. Far preferable to carrying a large heavy external charger.

I'll stick with my Nexus One purely for those reasons ta :-)

FAIL

aaaand...

...when you got home you had... oh that's right, two batteries to charge sequentially to get back to square one (all while the phone is tethered to the wall, USB, car, whatever). Yep, I can see how that can work... not... and oh yeah, been there, bought two T-shirts...

Devil

Desperate to find fualt much?

Silver badge
Boffin

@Steven Gray

""...when you got home you had... oh that's right, two batteries to charge sequentially"

You seem to have missed the "went out hiking 92 miles" part. I think there's no way he was going to be able to charge his phone at all, given the lack of power outlets during said 92-mile hike.

I remember having two batteries for my Fujitsu Lifebook 280Dx; thanks to this, I was able to cope with a long flight running on both batteries. :)

Anonymous Coward

@matthew anderson

"Far preferable to carrying a large heavy external charger."

you haven't seen an iphone charger have you?

Go

Re: *

"There is nothing inconvenient about swapping a battery."

Steps to swap a battery:

1. Power off phone

2. Take old battery out

3. Swap new battery in

4. Power on phone

Steps to plug in external battery:

1. Plug in external battery

Yeah, clearly I'm doing the wrong thing here. Shucks.

"..when you got home you had... oh that's right, two batteries to charge sequentially to get back to square one"

In parallel, actually. And having two phone batteries would land you in the exact same situation, so no gain there.

"Desperate to find fualt much?"

I find fault with crap information, yeah. Agree with a few of the other points in the article though!

Anonymous Coward

External charger

A large heavy external charger means one of those devices that consists of a large battery which you can use to charge your phone. Not the mains charger. Far too often it is impossible to use a mains charger for a lengthy period of time. Being able to change battery is a wholly reasonably way to cope with this.

Not allowing you to change the battery is all about forcing early obsolescence. On most modern electrical devices the battery is the first thing to give out. Not allowing you to change it is used by Apple to tempt you to buying the next shiny thing.

Silver badge
Alien

Battery an issue?

It is when you have to replace an old and dead one. I have done it on several phones, but perhaps it is because I have used them for a long time. Perhaps iPhone users are supposed to switch to the next model long before the battery is done and dead.

Silver badge

You can charge an android phone from all those places too. How is that even an issue? The issue for me is that I can use a cheap-as-chips generic usb cable to charge my phone whereas the faboys have to use a specific (and more expensive) connector.

Anonymous Coward

Hiking, I just used a solar charger

For my iPhone while I walked the trailwalker Oxfam 100KM course, no heavy extra battery, no "heavy" external charger "simples"

Meh

Android batteries, no wonder you need a spare

I support a site with a mix of Samsung Galaxies and iPhones, and there's no contest on batteries, none at all. The Samsungs struggle to last the day unless you use them strictly as a phone and limit browsing, email etc. The iPhones, not only far easier to connect and link to the back end email server (and less trouble once linked), and the batteries last all day under almost any usage, two days easy if you're frugal.

So I can see why you had to take spare batteries for your droid, I'd take my iPhone, and I'd be confident that it would last if used carefully.

We are talking about external chargers not mains chargers, the type that hold batteries in and are rechargeable and heavy. They are good for charging phones, cameras, ipads etc with many other uses too of course and different ones for different specifications.

Very useful but they add weight that is not needed if you are weight conscious. With the iPhone there is little choice, with an Android (all models as far as I know) there is choice.

It's nice having the choice.

Finding fault is easy with your spelling being the first. But what if you can't plug in an external battery (which needs to be recharged too! and takes longer to boot) or if you don't have the space to carry one. A simple extra battery goes a long way and is easily charged in the cradle that came with my phone (FOR FREE).

Stop

...given the lack of power outlets during said 92-mile hike,,,

A 92-mile hike without visiting a single pub?

Inconceivable.

well

except that most external batteries aren't 'large and heavy' at all and have the advantage of being able to charge multiple devices.

I'd say the point is technically true but of little practical consequence as, at least AFAICS, a well-designed external battery is a better choice than a second internal battery in most cases even if you have the choice of the latter. That's what I find, anyway - I have an N900 but I bought an external battery, not a second internal one.

"If I tried to count the number of times I've run out of iPhone battery on my fingers, well, I'd fail to do so, as the current count is zero"

Count one on you fingers...okay got that? All right then, now retract that one finger you currently have extended so that you have no fingers extended. There you go, you just counted zero on your fingers. Not as difficult as you seem to think hey?

Silver badge

Battery IS an issue

Every time Apple seals in the battery some apologist pops out of the woodwork to pretend it doesn't matter, or that Apple couldn't possibly have made the battery replaceable because the device is too thin.

And then along comes a competing device which does exactly that. e.g. Samsung's Galaxy SII is one of the thinnest phones around yet manages a replaceable battery. How does it manage this mind crushing feat? Popclips. The back can be removed and clipped securely into place.

How is it the alleged masters of industrial design can do likewise? The simple answer is they don't want to. A replaceable battery extends the life of a phone and we can't have that now can we? So Apple seals it in, and imposes a high price and ludicrous terms on their battery replacement service to ensure a healthy turnover of people junking an otherwise functional device for the latest model.

Anonymous Coward

This isn't rocket science

Just buy two fracking iPhones

index

bloody C programmers

Holmes

92 mile hike...

Well, on a long trek, I turn the phone OFF. If someone wants to talk to me, they can leave a message on the voicemail, or drop a text.

When I'm feeling like a bit of communication, I'll turn it ON for a few minutes to see if I've got signal, and if so, if I've got messages.

I've gone two weeks with that strategy, got all the messages I absolutely needed, and made all the calls/texts I needed.

It's called 'thinking'. Yes, having a replaceable battery is 'nice', but a bit of forethought about what you need will see you through better than extra hardware.

-hh
FAIL

"Expensive" Cable? Really?

The "expensive cable" excuse... was dead even before the first iPhone shipped back in 2007.

Presently, your "expensive" cable costs just over $2 (less than £2), including free shipping in the USA...and of course it isn't even a whopping $2, since the USB cable you want to use wasn't free anyway.

Nevertheless, considering that the typical smartphone service contract (at least in the USA) runs roughly $2000 across its 2 year term, to whine about a mere $2 for a spare cable is to foolishly ignore 99.9% of your lifecycle costs.

Congratulations, you've earned the "EPIC FAIL" icon.

-hh

Anonymous Coward

Missed a few steps with that external battery.

2. Attempt to put phone/battery glob in shirt pocket.

3. Change shirts for one with a larger pocket.

4. Attempt to put into shirt pocket.

after a short while

5. Return home to change shirt again.

6. Throw away shirt with ripped pocket.

7. Go buy man-purse.

Anonymous Coward

Pure BS

If you take the tethering (as in power cable) iPhone users out of the mix, they are just as dead by 4PM as the Samsungs, the Sonys, the LGs. The only exception are the HTCs because they ran out between noon and 1PM. 1650 users on this site so my N is large enough to be valid.

FAIL

Re:on a long trek, I turn the phone OFF

Great. Just don't use your phone, that'll save the battery.

Silver badge
FAIL

"More" ignorance? Really

I stated before that the iphone cable is more expensive. You think that's a fail.

Google product search finds a load of them at similar prices, around £15.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MA591G/B?afid=p223|GBUK&cid=AOS-EMEA-SHOP-GoogleBase-UK

You can get a cable for a proper phone for £1.95 delivered. That's less expensive. in fact, in the list of iphone cable prices, it's a rounding error.

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4939

Unlike iphone owners, I didn't ignore lifecycle costs. By not getting an iphone I cut my 2-year cost down to £720 (about $1100) (I have lots of minutes and data) without losing any functionality (but gaining some). So I've already cut nearly 50% from the lifecycle cost, even before I get spare cables for the car and office. I can get an extra 16GB for less than $100 too.

Congratulations, you managed "fail squared".

Or don't use a smartphone use a cheap and cheerful phone instead - battery lasts ages.

-hh
Stop

iPhone Cable: £0.99 at Amazon UK ... stop whining and save £14!

@craigness

You can protest about finding expense sources all you want, but Amazon UK has your £15 cable for sale for but a mere £1:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connector-Cable-iPods-iPhones-iPads/dp/B00290PUXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317919109&sr=8-1

I can't explain why you were unable to find it in your Google searches...that's a question for you to ask yourself.

-hh

PS: I don't have an iPhone either ... but my reasons are not lame ones built on false pretenses.

Megaphone

All true but ...

... think of Skype.

On half of all Android phones it just won't work. It won't work on mine. After a software update the mic stopped working on Sony Experia phones.

The problem is fragmentation. The iPhone eco system doesn't have that problem to the same extent that Android does.

How many people mod their TV? iPhones and iPads are for consuming stuff and they meet that need. Us Geeks have Android and we root and install etc. When the walled gardens are erected us Geeks will still know how to tunnel and subvert.

Each to their own I say.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Well said, Jez!

I'm no great Android fan - I LIKE iOS: but that doesn't mean I consider anyone who prefers Android is less intelligent, or that their viewpoint is less valuable than mine.

I echo "Each to their own." - or, as they say in France, "One man's fish is another man's poisson."

Silver badge

I echo your each to their own sentiment on an intellectual level.

On on emotional level though, given Apple's bad behaviour the last couple years (suing people for using the term 'pod', dumping apps out of the app store for no apparent reason, being a general dick of a company) I would desperately love to see them crash and burn. I suspect a lot of people share my feelings on that. As to the rest....

"How many people mod their TV?"

Um...actually....Let's just say that the big projector at the back of the room was a TV in a previous life. Maybe that's has something to do with why I prefer Android.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums