back to article iTunes beta, Vodafone flag up iPhone 4S

Evidence is building that Apple will indeed announce the iPhone 4S tomorrow. References to the 4S have been spied within the pre-release version of iTunes 10.5 being provided to iOS 5 developers, 9to5Mac reports. String data suggests that the 4S is the 'N94' handset that has been much mentioned in rumours through 2011, and that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Just when I thought things had been simplified

With the iPhone 4, I thought Apple had finally got the model numbering to (for the tech industry) an unusually sensible situation with respect to model numbers - i.e. the fourth model of iPhone was in fact called the iPhone 4. Now, however, they seem to have messed it up again, with the fifth model being called the iPhone 4S.

Assuming the next model does in fact have LTE/4G, does that mean that the next model will be the iPhone 4G, the iPhone LTE, the iPhone 5, or the iPhone 6?

All this doesn't really matter compared to the question of whether the new phone is actually any good, but they seem to have missed a wonderful opportunity to keep the name simple.

jai
Silver badge

iPhone 4S reference has been in iTunes beta for some time now:

[quote from MacRumors article]

So, the "iPhone 4S" reference first appeared in the iTunes Betas back in iTunes Beta 6.1 which was released on August 29th, 2011 -- a little over a month ago. [/quote]

Silver badge
Flame

Smoke and mirrors - references in beta are often wrong to ensure confusion reigns. A new version of iTunes will be punted along with the (already announced) iOS 5 release, so it makes sense the new hardware will be named the iPhone 5.

SRS
Holmes

Here's how it will work

Three models:

iPhone 4S - [NEW!] - 8Gb version of iPhone 4, with shiny plastic back instead of glass. May not be iOS5 capable.

iPhone 4 - will stay unchanged in 16 and 32Gb versions. iOS5 capable with some missing functionality.

iPhone 5 - [NEW!] - Larger screen (same res though), tapered edges (a little like iPad 2), metal back, re-worked antennae, 32Gb and 64Gb capacity; iOS 5 capable.

They will all make and receive phone calls.

Silver badge

"They will all make and receive phone calls."

Ooh, a new feature.

Anonymous Coward

Surely you mean 'working antennae'?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums