Feeds

back to article SweetLabs gets sugar from Intel

Software developer start-up SweetLabs Inc has scored $US13 million in Series C funding led by Intel Capital. The new funding will be mainly used to grow its Pokki desktop app developer platform. However the company will continue to expand the OpenCandy advertising network, which shows ads for other downloadable programs while …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Facepalm

Reinventing just got easier

"reinvent the PC experience", no less. So presumably an ad-laden installer is the new saviour that will keep Intel's PC CPU business afloat? How unlikely.

Silver badge

Worse than that

If only it were just advertisements in the installer. Instead these cavity creeps are going to give us "an ecosystem where users interact with rich, always-on apps across all their platforms and devices". Terrific! There's nothing I like more than being forced into some jackass' "ecosystem" rather than having the freedom to choose and build my own tools, however I like them; or "rich" applications full of bloat and pointless shiny bits; or applications that I can't turn off. And how many times have I said, gee, I wish I could run my maximum-entropy-Markov-model-language-parsing simulations on my phone!

In short, Intel is again throwing cash in the direction of Computing For Idiots. Quel surprise.

This topic is closed for new posts.