Feeds

back to article Brit web firms tweet way out of slump

Tweeting and faffing with Facebook are helping British internet businesses avoid the economic slump, according to a survey by Sage Pay. Brit web stores grew an average 49 per cent in the past 12 months, and three-quarters of them reported using social media to drive sales, according to the poll's findings. Sage Pay, a payment- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Skewed results

A generous pinch of salt is needed here. SagePay's customers are primarily micro-ecommerce, which by their very nature have a fast growth curve. Sure, they have a few larger customers, but the vast majority are very small and very young.

The picture is very different when you take into account the UK ecommerce market as a whole, which has struggled this year nearly as much as the high street has.

Silver badge

re: Other useful tips for webmasters uncovered by the poll include...

Merchandise that customers want? What wasn't that listed, does it conflict with the Sage's business model?

Social networking or weak pound driving sales? My money is on the later. Even Facebook cant undo thousands of years of economic tradition.

Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised SagePay were online long enough to access facebook

Anonymous Coward

Causal link or subjective opinion?

My subjective opinion is that social media has no effect on my own purchasing decisions. Just because a % of successful online businesses use facebook/twitter doesn't mean that the success is due to FB/Twitter activity. I'd be more convinced by google analytics tracking actual sales back to twitter/FB initiated web site visits.

In reality this SagePay press release is intended to attract the attention of web businesses so they can then plug SagePay's services.

Anonymous Coward

Still...

any profits from blogging will be offset by one of SagePay's Christmas downtime specials, I'm sure.

This topic is closed for new posts.