back to article Watchdog takes aim at premium-rate phone apps

Mobile phone apps that send premium-rate texts, or make premium-rate calls, could be subject to fresh guidelines that have been drafted and published for public consideration. PhonePayPlus, formerly ICSTIS, regulates services that are paid for using calls or messages sent to high-cost numbers, something which applications can do …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

"allowing Android users to vote when iPhone users can't would be bad PR"

Not for Android!

Bring it on, I'd love to see that.

Gold badge
WTF?

Oh yeah?

"...allowing Android users to vote when iPhone users can't would be bad PR."

Given that we're talking about being fleeced to vote for the stinkiest turd on the steaming pile, that begs a question.

Bad PR for who?

Headmaster

Begs the question?

I don't think you know what that means.

Sure *not* being able to do this on an iPhone is a good thing.

Anonymous Coward

Can you tell me

Why I have to send a £1.50 text with "stop" in to stop a premium rate service keep spam texting me and i did not ask for? like several times a week at the moment I can claim £3600 for my accident, you know, the one that gave me amnesia 'cos i dont remember having it?

PhonePayPlus, doing what OFCOM didnt, and just as effectively

Anonymous Coward

urm ... it's charged at your standard rate...

Anonymous Coward

Ofcom's bastard child

If ever there was a "brand" image for fecklessly wasting public money, it has to be PhonePayPlus. You wouldn't think it took a great deal of brains to work out the good, bad or simply crooked of premium rate provider's behaviour, but this collective of twatdangles make it look more arduous than tracking down the Higgs boson while still managing to turn out press releases that provide something more akin to self promotion than useful information.

This'll turn out to be another of those premium rate fiascos in which the punters get to haemorrhage cash (which won't get refunded) for a couple of long, consultation packed years before anything even slightly useful is done to stop app makers taking the piss, by stealth or not.

More application, less deliberation you feckless muppets.

Anonymous Coward

that's because it's ran by the premium rate companies when the government threatened to set ofcom onto them .....

fox guarding the henhouse much?

Names?

PhonePayPlus! Next they'll be renaming something everyone knows like CORGI to Gas Safe Register... oh.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Stop the entire

bloody scenario altogether. Enough crap on all of these shows without having the ability to drum up huge phone bills...

Ban the lot of em....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums