back to article Banks face e-payments antitrust probe

The European Commission has launched an antitrust probe into e-payments in Europe to find out if a group of banks – including Santander, HSBC and Barclays – is trying to stop new players from getting into the market. A group called the European Payments Council (EPC) is developing a standardisation for e-payments across the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Holmes

Who made the complaint? Let me see, who stands to lose from a more open ePayment framework? Surely not ebay/paypal?

Anonymous Coward

or google

I'm guessing neither of the first 2 commenters read the article, as if they had they would be trying to identify the complainant by trying to identify who GAINS from a more open e-payments system!

The EPC members are listed here

http://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/content.cfm?page=epc_members

So I presume, not one of these.

Devil

The probe is quite simple: Is the spec open and publicly available? No? then they're guilty.

Big banks have the same openness and trustworthiness as mickeysoft. You'd better read all the fine print...

Anonymous Coward

Tomato42

Microsoft, The Banks, The Government etc. etc. are not a giant conspiracy. Healthy questioning is one thing, but it's not the same as damaging cynicism. And the damage is to you, I didn't see it at the time, when I was younger but I'm so much happier now that I don't automatically think that everyone is against me, it breeds paranoia and misrablism.

Oh and the spec is available to anyone who needs it, not the same as everyone, I admit, but basically if you're a payments provider you have to be able to get it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums