Feeds

back to article 45% of Android users to upgrade to rival phone OSes

Call it the fanboy effect, call it the superior user experience the device offers, but research shows that iPhone owners are much more likely to stick with Apple than are folk who've bought handsets from other companies. The data comes from UBS and takes in conversations had with more than 500 smartphone owners globally. Some …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Happy

My only problem with my HTC desire is the small amount of onboard memory and the number of apps that still cannot ber entirely moved to SD, so yes I wont be moving away from android but I will be paying attention to how much onboard memory the phone has on my next upgrade.

Thumb Up

i know you shouldnt have to but.....

rooting the phone and getting a custom hBoot and ROM gives the HTC desire much more life.

Imagine this.... I have 400MB+ of apps and the phone says I have 187MB free.

Just a bad design of the desire which was fixed in all newer releases.

Saying that...... i'll be trying a different android manufacturer, just to see how green the grass is.

Mushroom

you forgot to mention BATTERY LIFE

I love my HTC Desire , but it's permanently tethered to a charging point.

Something my Nokia E71 only had to do every few days..... but then I couldn't play Angry Birds on that.

Oh for the 2 week standby of a Nokia 6310i...... if only all I wanted to do was talk :)

Anonymous Coward

I used an iPhone for a year

counted every minute until the contract ended. One of the worst phones I've ever owned

dropped calls, flaky reception, Apple deactivating Apps I'd paid for. Terrible

Anonymous Coward

oh, and it completely missed the block call function

Silver badge
FAIL

Not very good trolling there

Apple have only ever been known to deactivate mallware. Once you've bought an app you keep it, even if it is pulled from the store.

You haven't ACTUALY owned one have you?

Anonymous Coward

Apple deactivating Apps

Are you just trolling? I've never had an app removed from my iPhone by Apple. Even if I delete the app from my phone there's a backup of it in iTunes. If Apple decide to remove something from the App store they do not connect to people's devices and remove it from there as well.

Your complaint is so unusual, given the satisfatcion figures we all see each time for Apple gear, that maybe you're just extremely unlucky, and live in a weird blank spot, or ...

Anonymous Coward

As with most iPhone users, you've probably never played with wifi sniffers?

Apple took a dislike to them in March 2010

Silver badge
FAIL

@AC 18:02

WiFi sniffers? Got one and it's still working just fine thanks. It even works on the iPad, which wasn't even announced when the app was removed from the store. Read what I wrote above: Apple may remove apps from the store for new buyers, but once an app is downloaded you can keep it.

Anonymous Coward

Let me guess, was it on AT&T

Droped calls are mostly a function of a shit network. Never had a droped call anywhere in Europe and only know of 2 place where i cant get a connection.

Stop

Heh...

"The data comes from UBS and takes in conversations had with more than 500 smartphone owners globally."

Glad to see they went with a statistically significant sample size. Oh wait...

Silver badge

Indeed...

How can you survey only 500 people and call it a global study? That's only 2.5 people per country!

You could have surveyed more people by standing at the UBS watercooler all day with a clipboard... Which is probably exactly what they did.

FAIL

Hardly worth paying attention to...

...with only 500 surveyed users, there's no point trying to work out patterns or %. Until you look at stats from 10,000s of people, it has now value at all. I bet if you surveyed a different 500 people, you'll get wildly different % and figures.

LPF

The problem with android...

Is that unlike the iPphone for most of the handsets you have to make a blood sacrifice at the full moon to get an OS upgrade for most handsets, unless you are into hacking your phone. Whereas with the iPhone the upgrade is pretty painless, and even if you have an older phone, you are not left behind until you physically dont have the hardware to run the updated OS.

How many prefectly good hardware wise android phones have been stiffed and left running old versions of the OS, it was only with OS 5 that I think the original and 3 vesions of the iphone were left behind.

That kind of product support breeds loyalty.

Silver badge

I agree that Apple do have the "We'll push out an upgrade to *our* customers when we want" attitude sorted. Carriers get no say, which sounds like heaven to me, and being a single supplier of hardware and software means control freak levels of control. It also means you don't get a choice in much at all. Want a Qwerty keyboard, no. Want a better camera, wait for next year. Want a bigger screen, sorry this is it. Want a smaller handset/screen, nope, sorry. It's swings and roundabouts.

With Android you go out and look at the handsets and buy the one you want. With Apple you get what you're offered, or you stick with your current handset.

Anyway, all that aside, I would hardly call Apple updates painless. Google the exact phrase "iphone update problems", including the quotes. 57000 hits. Lose the quotes and you're into the 150million marks.

Gold badge
FAIL

Hmm, 3 downvotes so far for the naked, unvarnished truth.

Maybe the "fanboi" derogative is aimed at the wrong crowd these days?

Facepalm

Methinks the conclusions be wrong

iPhone users don't have another choice of vendor for iOS, they're stuck with whatever Jobsian nerdgasm comes out next. Android, on the other state-the-obvious-reversal-hand, can flick over to another vendor, and keep all their lovely googly-cached data. Except fot the apps, because not one android developer seems to use the damn backup mechanism.

Anonymous Coward

Exactly

I have an Android phone. That will not change in the forseeable future. If HTC drop the ball with the next release of handsets, I might look to another manufacturer but it'll be an Android phone.

All of the news stories I have seen about this report are unclear - no-one has any links to the original report and the only thing I've found taken directly from it is this graph:

http://vnsmartphone.com/news/ubs-iphones-89-retention-rate-crushes-competition-next-closest-is-htc-at-39.html

Based on that information, this survey seems to have come up with the conclusion that 11% of iOS users are prepared to dump their OS completely and 45% of Android users will not stick to the same manufacturer. This is just meaningless as far as trying to make an OS comparison.

Alert

To be fair to Android here, this was a sample of affluent international types, not average consumers - so they are far less concerned about handset cost than most and also far less interested in 4G/LTE support.

i'm looking at moving from android to windows phone, I'm fed up with clunky android, don't like the limitation of iOS and like the look of what windows phone can offer.

Anonymous Coward

'clunky Android' ?

I'm running honeycombe on a Xoom, silky smooth and whateverversionitis on a Sensation, silky smooth

sorry, genuinely interested in your substantiation?

Silver badge
FAIL

HTS Sensation

Using it OOTB is indeed clunky.

Many apps can't be removed

Many apps can't be moved to the Memory card.

If yours is smooth then you must be running a non standard OS build.

Ask youself this question

What percentage of the people who buy a Sensation will have the inclination or the skills to root the device and install a different ROM build?

My take on that is very small, very small indeed.

This phone is 'Sensationaly bad' (pun intended)

Silver badge

Clunky? What phone have you been using? My Droid is anything BUT clunky. A little out dated, sure, but not at all clunky.

I was of a similar opinion

I got myself a G1 from T-Mobile a few years ago and got so frustrated with not being able to upgrade past 1.6, regular crashes of core functionality (the phone "app" would occasionally crash when answering a call and would disconnect and lose the call details). I upgraded to Cyanogen 2.1 and it couldn't cope with all that.

I finally came to upgrade and vowed not to get caught up as an early adopter again and decided to get an iPhone, but my (now ex) girlfriend wouldn't allow any apple software in the house so I ended up getting the Omnia 7 and I've not looked back.

I do realise that all/most of my bad experience with Android was due to getting the first phone out there and not waiting for the first upgrade, but I'm happy with WP7 (despite the frustration of the NoDo upgrade, but considering I couldn't even upgrade my last phone to the latest version, it wasn't too bad). Roll on Mango!

I don't know what you've done to yours. I'm using a HTC Sensation. Done nothing to it other than fill it with the apps I use. Very smooth, no lag on anything I do, it's like one of those adverts that says 'sequence shortened' in the small print on the telly. I found what you've been finding with my HTC Magic after having it for two years but no such problems with this lovely bit of kit.

Silver badge

Yes

I've got an HTC Desire S and it's not clunky to use at all. From what I've seen of the Sensation all the differences are improvements.

Undeletable apps: yep, that's annoying.

Move to SD: this is mostly an app developer thing although there is a restriction for apps which come with widgets - they have to stay internal.

I have a windows phone (work supplied) and the wife has a desire s. Both HTC. I would stick with Android.

windows phone is more than acceptable, but has the same limitations that an iphone has, which would stop me buying either given the choice. Very impressed with the droid on HTC.

Anonymous Coward

I bet you can move all iPhone apps to the memory card huh?

oh, oops

WTF?

Should've got a new girlfriend instead

Pussy whipped much?

Coat

Five (5) Evo 4G on a family plan (all unlimited)

And no complaints from any member of my family.

Oops! Sorry, one of my sons recently upgraded his phone to Evo 3D.

And for curious minds - no, I do not pay for my kids, we split it even.

And one of my sons has iPhone, so everybody had a chance to play with it before we jumped the guns an abandoned AT&T :-)

So, my survey shows that only 16% of population want to stick to the iPhone :-):-):-)

Silver badge
Pint

So, behind only Apple in satisfaction..

Are Android HTC devices? That's not really a surprise to anyone.

Fine devices!

Android all the way!

I'll be sticking with Android thank you very much.

I like the O/S, I'm on my third handset now and have loved all of them. Each has been a step-wise improvement over the previous, both in O/S version, screen size and functionality.

Even my tablet is an Android (Older Samsung Galaxy Tab 7).

As I simply cannot stand Job's and his over priced garbage and his overpriced, over-inflated attitude it will be a snowy day in hell before I own any of rancid fruit-branded rubbish.

I've already told my kids, they can bring home their own fruit-branded nonesuch, but that's the day they leave home!

Meh

You're assuming that someone actually cares...

FAIL

For real? Jesus, get out the house more. It's a fucking brand of phone FFS.

Amazed you found anyone to give you kids if you're that fking uptight.

Raz
Meh

The Apple fans are as rabid as this guy. Just read above.

The loud stand out

"The Apple fans are as rabid as this guy. Just read above."

No, it's just that the overzealous ones tend to be loud. If I went by what I read online, iPhone users and Android users should be having turf wars with violence to rival any L.A. gang, shiving each other with blades made from shattered phone displays. Most people I know in real life tend in the "eh, I like this one better" direction more than any sort of fanaticism, no matter what they use.

-d

Silver badge
Stop

Misleading conclusion

What it says is that 55% Andriod users will definitely switch to another Android device. That does not automatically mean that 45% will definitely move from Android! There are no figures for "maybe" or "don't know", or even "I'll see what's out there when I'm ready".

It also looks like the 55% is Andriod customers who will stay with Andriod, but definitely switch vendor. That may not include Android users who actually do decide to stay with vendor. Including that figure may change the overall picture for Android.

When it comes to generic OSs, brand loyalty is not so significant. Most knowing people assuming that Android is very similar, will compare battery life, function, or reviews. With locked in customers with Apple and RIM, the only way they can maintain their user experience is to stick with brand.

I probably will not stick with Samsung, but I will definitely be getting an Android phone, unless, that is, a WebOS device comes my way at a knock-down price.

But this is all surveys and statistics anyway, and you know what they say about those....

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Good analysis

The other thing that got me was the assumption that moving from android would be an "upgrade". From reading the article, their new phone might not even be a smartphone!

IIRC, Samsumg and HTC are the market leaders in Android so it might be fair to assume that 30% of android owners are going to stay with their manufacturer (using a weighed average of the brand satisfaction numbers). If 55% are going to stay with the platform but change brand then it's 85% of android users who are staying with Android compared to 89% of iphone users who are staying with iOS. Given the tiny sample, I doubt the difference has any significance. Based on those numbers though, here's an alternative headline:

"15% of Android users to downgrade to rival phone OSs; 11% of iPhoners will upgrade"

Furthermore, who's to say that any of those 55% (keeping Android but changing brand) are pissed off with their current hardware? I'm happy with my HTC but if Samsung have a great phone when I want to upgrade then I'll move.

The title refers to Peter, not the article author. That guy should be tied to a post in the car park until he learns to count.

Came here to say this

Following the maths in the article, 55% of Android users will switch to an Android device from another manafacturer, and 45% will switch to a different OS. And therefore 0% will stay with an Android device from the same manafacturer?

Surely the conclusion should be that (for example, in the HTC case) - 39% will stay with HTC, 55% * 61% = 33.55% will move to another Android manafacturer and 45% * 61% = 27.45% will move to another OS. And therefore, 72.55% of HTC users will stay with Android. The figures difer for different Android manafacturers. obviously.

It's an OS issue

I wonder how many Android users (of any manufacturer) say they will use another Android device.

If you like Android and you use an HTC, when it's time to upgrade you'll just want the best handset you can get at the time, regardless of manufacturer, so long as it has Android.

And - as has already been pointed out - a sample of 500 is pointless. Why use UBS, I could have done that kind of sample size myself.

g e
Silver badge

Walled gardens have no doors

That's not consumer loyalty, it's the pain of moving away from a poor (imho) choice outweighing doing the moving.

There's quite a few appleistas in my current client's co have have looked at my Desire HD and said, hey, actually, that's a pretty nice phone, how well do you get along with it ? And these are gfx designers, hardcore appleistas.

Anonymous Coward

Only 500?

So no chance of finding anyone with a Windows Phone then! Perhaps they would have found a WP7 user if the sample size had been closer to 10,000. Sorry, make that 100,000.

Holmes

As expected TBH.

Most Android users probably want an iPhone but went for a copy-cat Android because of price.

Thumb Down

Actually...

Most Android users I know bought their phone because it had something the iPhone didn't; I bought mine because it had a keyboard, four dedicated buttons (home, back, menu, and search), could make calls that didn't sound like I was under water, and charged from a standard connection. When I bought my phone, iPhone didn't even have a flash for the camera. For $6, I bought a car charger and an extra USB charging cable to hook to my laptop; I can buy a second battery for $3. Oh, right, and I can replace the battery, too.

No, the reason I didn't buy an iPhone wasn't price - it was because the iPhone just didn't have what I needed.

Anonymous Coward

You can always rely on an Apple Fanbois to stifle an adult conversation

g e
Silver badge

Two reasons I went Android

1. Can buy another handset and all my stuff works so long as it's Android

2. Really don't want to be associated with the demographic that buys apple stuff

Silver badge
Trollface

<--- Here, you dropped this.

Thumb Up

I CHOOSE to enoble a simple forum post!

For the sake of balance it should be pointed out that Fruity fanbois don't have a monopoly on that...

Er.. is anyone else having a problem entering text unless you've added an "optional" title?

Silver badge
FAIL

iTunes was my motive

I got an Android so that I didn't have to connect it to a pc in order to sync it, and so that I can drag and drop songs from my Linux box. Money is no object.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.