back to article Bot spanking for social network ranking

Social media types who enjoy measuring their "popularity" in the social media arena are in for a shock. Their Klout score could be wrong. Instead of a gold standard measure of how much influence they have on their peers, it could just be a measure of how noisy and attention-seeking they are... A Twitter test by an SEO expert …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Pint

"Noisy and attention seeking"

says it all.

Precisely the trait of human nature regarded so highly by the new e-marketeers.

Silver badge
Unhappy

And voters everywhere.

Anonymous Coward

The rules of systems analysis

1) Any system that can be gamed will be gamed.

2) Any system can be gamed.

But really: using any form of ranking based upon Twatter [sic] is imbecility at it's lowest form.

"Instead of a gold standard measure of how much influence they have on their peers, it could just be a measure of how noisy and attention-seeking they are."

And in other news: water sometimes wet, and bears and the woods, what you need to know, after the break...

Pint

Shock news: spam bot more influential than twats

It's hardly news that the needy & pointless Web2.0rhea inhabitants are less influential, even by their own measure, than a trivial wedge of code...but it does put a big smile on my face every time it is ably demonstrated publicly!

</smug>

Devil

Maybe we should use it to decide how many times to clout someone about the head?

Happy

ahahaa!

It would almost be worth having a twitter account if it meant randomly getting a tweet "YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED" from the borg collective.

Meh

This can't be news to anyone, surely?

I mean, take the first self-proclaimed Justin Bieber fan you come across on Twitter (it won't take long to find one) and the chances are their score will be 65+, despite their entire output being incestuous RTs to a very narrow and similar audience.

In what way are they influencers of anyone? Preaching to the converted doesn't even begin to cover it.

I am the borg, YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN ASSIMILATED

Silver badge
Stop

Interesting

There is now a tool to measure the best among the vapid and uninteresting.

I am thrilled to be able to ignore that as well.

Thank you for the information.

Gold badge
WTF?

Crikey!

Someone's actually built the much alluded to bullshitometer?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums