back to article Web surfers stumble upon new planets

Humans have leap-frogged computers by identifying planets outside our solar system that the machines missed. The internet users detected the rocky Earth-like planets in their spare time by scanning the data from the Kepler satellite on the site PlanetHunters. Astronomers at Yale University have announced the discovery of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Go

AIDS protein folding & ET hunting within a week!

"We've linked up over 300,000 human brains..."

This is getting like the "Drummer" driven wetnet in Diamond Age.

Only with less bodily fluids.

Windows

Caroline Hershel

Discovered a lot of comets, when her brother (Sir William Herschel) was busy discovering Uranus, whilst his son was busy being Master of the Royal Mint. (Well, OK, he didn't marry or produce offspring until he was in his 50's ) .

How do I know? My daughter is xxx-xxx Herschel-xxx. Her brother is xxx Herschel-xxx. But, their half-brother is xxx-xxx Madetoja. Grandson of one of Finland's most famous composers, equalling Sibeleus.

Why make light of this accomplishment?

I object to the use of the word "stumble" as derogatory. You are making light of a significant contribution by lay participants in a major scientific effort. Your use of "stumble" implies that the discovery was accidental. A participant examines data provided randomly to a group of participants. A substantial number of participants agreed that the data met the established criteria. There is nothing accidental about it.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Dontcha hate George-Lucas-Level inconsistency in scientists?

Astrophysicist Kevin Schawinski:

"a computer can only look for what you teach it to look for".

"We've essentially built the world's largest distributed supercomputer, dedicated to pattern recognition. We've linked up over 300,000 human brains and turned it into a science machine."

Midiclorians I say.

Anonymous Coward

Heh!

What if point the sat to measure the difference in light output from stars, when a planet, rock , ... passes through, the light coming from the star will dime depending on the object size, if it's a large object the light from the star will have a delay, measuring this I think is possible.

Old Hand

PlanetHunters has 40000 members but the project has linked up ober 300,000 brains. How many brains does each member have ? (On average, of course.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums